Gransnet forums

Chat

Children in Pubs

(77 Posts)
WadesNan Wed 26-Jun-19 09:19:12

A local pub is in the news because it has posted "rules" for children on its premises:

No children under the age of 10 to be in the pub after 6.00 pm.

All children must be sat at a table with adults whether eating or not

No free roaming, running, scootering or climbing

Parents are also asked to be mindful of other customers if their children start screaming and shouting.

The landlord was interviewed on local radio and he said he recently had to quickly scoop up a child who was in front of the kitchen door just as a waiter came through with platefuls of hot food.

One parent complained saying the rules put "too much pressure on parents"

I think it sad that any establishment has to post a set of rules which are basically just good parenting anyway.

Riverwalk Wed 26-Jun-19 16:02:12

One of the children came to me, at the next table, holding up his bowl of half-eaten muesli and looked up Oliver Twist-style and said something in Swiss German. I thought he wanted some more, my Swiss German being not very good, so I indicated I'd get him some.

He realised his error immediately and switched to flawless English and said "Where do I put my bowl, I've finished?"

I said he could leave it on the table which he did, thanked me and left! He was about four years old. grin

Daisymae Wed 26-Jun-19 18:50:55

Poor parenting is likely to backfire when children who are badly behaved end up being unhappy adults who find it difficult to fit in with others and stick to normal social behaviour. Its something that we all need to learn. This thread reminds me of the doggy one, I think the same rules apply though, children nor pets should be a nuisance to others! Happy days!

BBbevan Wed 26-Jun-19 19:12:55

I watched that programme about GPS ' Behind closed doors. A mother brought her small child to be seen by the doctor, accompanied by an older sister. Around 8-9 years old. The elder child weighed and measured herself and ended up doing cartwheels around the surgery. . Throughout this the doctor was trying to diagnose the younger child. At no time did the mother admonish her daughter. Can't imagine what the Dr. thought

Summerlove Wed 26-Jun-19 22:27:24

Re: The family that got up and moved towards their seven-year-old, is it possible they moved to avoid the child throwing a fit? Surely they thought that moving was a better option for all around them. I can only imagine what would’ve been said had the child thrown an epic fit.

I might have moved with my child, but once in the car on the way home my child certainly would’ve heard my opinion.

Anja Thu 27-Jun-19 07:40:33

Well done that landlord. I’m happy to see children eating out and learning good manners in the process.

Sara65 Thu 27-Jun-19 08:06:09

In our local pub some years ago, the landlord asked my daughter to stop her toddler wandering around, in the interest of the child’s safety

She took great offence, and wanted us to leave, we didn’t, she sulked, we pointed out that she surely didn’t want her to get under the feet of someone carrying boiling hot food, but she couldn’t see it, thought they should be careful to avoid her!

GabriellaG54 Thu 27-Jun-19 08:26:55

WadesNan
Wow! That beggars belief. shock

Aepgirl Thu 27-Jun-19 10:08:27

Hoorah for this pub landlord. Why should other customers have to put up with ill-disciplined children?

Sheilasue Thu 27-Jun-19 10:38:29

Not bragging but we could take our kids and gd to any pub or restaurant. Our children went in the garden or some had a children’s room, going back to 70s 80s. They were always well behaved. Our gd is a millennium child now 18 but we could take her into any restaurant or pub and she was always well behaved too. It doesn’t take much to be firm with your children.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Jun-19 10:43:30

Referring to the OP parents who think having to control their children in public puts to much pressure on them should, maybe, look at why they had the children in the first place???

Mollygo Thu 27-Jun-19 10:51:46

Well done that landlord! Sadly I remember going to a café with my daughter and my grandson who was four at the time. I got up and walked out when he carried on screaming and she didn’t do anything. My excuse, there were other parents in there who knew me and it was embarrassing. When she brought him out after me I think the whole cafe breathed a sigh of relief. He thought I was mean and said so. I told him I didn’t go to cafes with noisy children.

Rosina Thu 27-Jun-19 10:56:21

A friend who works in a large department store despairs of parenting; she has lost count of the times she has had to get children off beds where they are trampolining - one set of parents was in the cafe when this happened. Running along sofas, swinging on furniture, pulling curtain displays down - she has seen it all.

Jane10 Thu 27-Jun-19 11:04:50

Gosh riverwalk how refreshing!
A shop near us has a sign that says:
'Unsupervised children will be given an espresso and a puppy '!
Seriously, my DS once worked in a 'family friendly' pub and said that all the small children were an absolute health and safety nightmare. He lost count of the near misses with hot plates of food or drinks almost tipped over children underfoot as staff tried to take food to the tables. Never a harsh word heard either!

Arry Thu 27-Jun-19 11:10:37

I recently saw a sign outside a pub that read ;- 'Well behaved dogs welcome. Children to be left tied up outside'

lovebooks Thu 27-Jun-19 11:14:46

EU children, especially the French, are taught from a very early age how to behave in a restaurant, partly because of the French passion for food and cooking (although that is changing due to British/American exports.) Kids/parents here tend to follow the American model.

loltara Thu 27-Jun-19 11:19:49

On children: one is either brought up or dragged up! Formerly from the catering world, I totally concur with the Landlord.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 27-Jun-19 11:21:25

Ha ha Beckett, love that sign! I totally agree with the landlord. When we were children, we were not allowed in pubs unless with the landlord's permission (think it might have been illegal then). We were either parked in the pub garden with a packet of crisps and a bottle of Lemonade, or left in the car with the same if it was raining. The message was clear- pubs were for adults and children were only allowed in restaurants if they could act appropriately. Well done that landlord!

Shortlegs Thu 27-Jun-19 11:46:02

Children in pubs is fine by me on the proviso that they stand their own round.

JacquiG Thu 27-Jun-19 11:54:33

Agree with the landlord. Very sensible. We brought ours up to be sociable, quiet, to talk quietly, not run round, not to disturb other diners, have good manners, etc. When very young, we brought their baby cutlery to use.

At one restaurant, we were advised on a family celebration that children must be gone by seven. We promised to take them out immediately if there was fuss, and this was grudgingly accepted. When we left, the whole assembly was told 'these children can come again, they are welcome'., and they were given a free pudding each.

Now they are older, we don't allow phones at table while eating, but accept that when after dinner conversation drifts to boring adult stuff, they may use them for amusement, if they wish. (I still remember being exquisitely bored when visiting adults with my parents!)

Can't stand rowdy uncontrolled children. High spirits is one thing. Shrieking, jumping around, causing chaos is another.

JanaNana Thu 27-Jun-19 12:03:15

Can't see anything wrong with the landlord putting up these rules and hopefully enforcing them. In fact it would be a good idea if more places did this. Too many parents seem to think it's a crèche of some kind were other people should look out for their children apart from themselves.
Years ago parents booked a babysitter for a child free evening out and these issues didn't arise. Sign of the times now though.

sodapop Thu 27-Jun-19 12:07:03

Totally agree JanaNana or we took it in turns to baby sit friend's children.

4allweknow Thu 27-Jun-19 12:29:10

Fantastic and well done to the landlord, there should be more like him/her. Adults with children in so many public places eg pubs restaurants, supermarkets, large stores, garden centres, need I go on seem to think the children should have free reign to run, shout, do whatever they want regardless of how their behaviour affects anyone else.. large high end furniture store, chikdren rollerblading along the aisles. Out of town venue so must have come by car with adults knowing full well what would happen. Not pleased when assistant asked them to stop as not insured fir any mishaps. Parents demanded to speak with manager who reiterated what assistant had said. Well! What do you expect us to do, they don't have any other footwear. Nonplussed manager suggested they either walk in socks or come back when wearing appropriate footwear. I had to commend the fellow. Told cme children and their antics cause a lot of hasske and parents seem totally unconcerned about trying to control them. It's everywhere, total disregard for responsibility.

Tweedle24 Thu 27-Jun-19 12:34:30

Many years ago, we were having a family meal in a local carvery. My then small granddaughter watched as another small child ran around getting under people’s feet as they carried their plates back, and generally made a nuisance of himself.

Suddenly my granddaughter’s voice cut through the chatter in the restaurant, “Look at that naughty boy running around. Why doesn’t he sit up at the table properly?”.

Other diners looked across and smiled in agreement. The people at the table in question did not even register it.

knspol Thu 27-Jun-19 12:37:21

Nice one suziewoozie!

NannyG123 Thu 27-Jun-19 14:00:06

I agree with the landlord. I hate it when you have children running around a pub/ restaurant. It seems as tho it's a case with the parents are thinking as long as there not bothering me they are ok. I've seen a child on on holiday last year he was sitting under the table eating his dinner, the parents kept asking him to sit up the table and he said no, the child was about 5or6.