Gransnet forums

Chat

Outrageous price ?

(86 Posts)
NanKate Thu 27-Jun-19 20:45:28

Went to a lovely tennis tournament today but was shocked at the prices.

They wanted £14.00 for a 125 ml glass of fizz. DH said he would buy me one but I declined, just couldn’t justify that amount.

I wonder what prices are like at Glastonbury, Wimbledon at the like.

Gma29 Fri 28-Jun-19 13:29:27

I remember being offered orange juice (at breakfast) in Paris about 30 years ago. When it came, it was a bottle of orange drink, not even pure juice. It cost £8 for the two. The husband never forgot it, and refused to go back to Paris, referring to it forever after “as that place I got ripped off for juice”.

Callistemon Fri 28-Jun-19 13:40:26

GrannyGravy wink

Actually, Willow, I wouldn't be surprised at a bottle of wine costing £22 and that doesn't sound as high as some - the markup on wine is very high.

However, a very good local pub/restaurant charges a reasonable £14 for an OK bottle of wine.

Callistemon Fri 28-Jun-19 13:41:22

I think some places charge far too much for soft drinks too!

Oldandverygrey Fri 28-Jun-19 14:00:03

I visited Bourton on the Water recently and was charged £5.50 for two small cups of tea!

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jun-19 14:03:57

Better for your health too Tillybelle----when you don't drink !

Barmeyoldbat Fri 28-Jun-19 15:42:40

I am surprised GG54 you would even realise what you paying going on past history.

Tedber Fri 28-Jun-19 16:46:31

I hate being ripped off but as a previous poster said - sometimes it is all part and parcel of the whole experience and if a one-off I would probably just pay it!

A couple of years ago I treated my mum and 6 other family members to afternoon tea at a well known London Hotel. It was a treat for my mum's 85th birthday. The cost was £60 each!!!

Was it worth it? Not in value for money - nice enough but after all it was still only sandwiches and cakes with cups of tea oh and one glass of bubbly which non of us particularly liked - but the joy on my old mum's face was a joy being in such grand surroundings and something I have treasured since so...in that instance, I consider it well worth it!

Bijou Fri 28-Jun-19 16:52:14

I am a meanie. Don’t even like to pay over two pounds for a coffee in Starbucks so take my own bottle of drink when I go out.
Remember part of the cost is VAT.

KatyK Fri 28-Jun-19 17:00:39

Monday nights in Wetherspoons, two large glasses of wine £4.80. smile

Tillybelle Fri 28-Jun-19 18:02:02

EllanVannin. Yes! I didn't actually decide to stop but just didn't drink after my husband died because the children (still at school) had friends living all over the place and always needed picking up...
Years later I had the chance to go to the Salvation Army on Sundays. I had never lived near enough to join them for Sunday worship, not since when I was a student, that is, and in the first years of my marriage. I decided to join after several years. Of course, we don't drink, but not for the reasons people think. I won't pinch this topic to go on about it here though!
But not drinking makes you both healthier and wealthier!!

Mind you - other things are getting dearer! I love bottled water for example.

Also I don't miss alcohol at all! Even though when my husband was alive we used to entertain (it was part of his job) and I loved wine and used to order the wine myself for our formal entertaining 'dos' . But even now I don't fancy any!
I had a piece of a pudding at my daughter's once which had alcohol in (sorry - don't know what) and was alarmed. I thought the pudding had "gone off!" I couldn't eat it! It tasted like something bad! Luckily my son in law understood!

Tillybelle Fri 28-Jun-19 18:08:03

Tedber. I love afternoon tea! Without alcohol for me so a lot cheaper. You used to be able to sit over it. Some places actually seem to chuck you out after a while now - very bad form I think! I am careful to find the good old fashioned hotels which do not do this. My daughter is good at that too, her background gave her a good insight into the kind of understated and quiet places that are not filled with tourists. So we go to some very nice ones which let us sit chatting. It's lovely.... followed by the opera... Heavenly!

glammanana Fri 28-Jun-19 18:20:01

I have just come off the phone from my DD,she and some of her pals from work where going to a new venue opened at the Ferry Terminal near where she works it is a sort of Foody Hall for different types of food and drinks opened up to bring the area more into the Bistro Types scene one of her collegues is leaving and they arranged to go for a drink and food until one of them mentioned that a bottle of house wine was £26 a bottle !! well that put paid to that and they are now on their way to a cheap and cheerful Weatherspoons,how do these owners expect to do business in low income areas charging prices like that.

Callistemon Fri 28-Jun-19 18:35:18

A large glass of cold Riesling, the rest of the bottle is in the fridge.
£6.99 from Lidl and very nice too.

EMMF1948 Fri 28-Jun-19 21:26:33

I think, regardless of price (extortionate) it’s part and parcel of ‘a lovely day out’. As in ‘one for the memory box’.

It would be a horrible memory, probably the one that lasts longest, even if I can afford something I loathe to feel I've been ripped off and it can really spoil an event.

jura2 Fri 28-Jun-19 21:29:36

Café Lorenzo is amazing- it is like having coffee in a Museum! Yes, we were truly shocked, but looking back, it was worth it for the experience smile

Urmstongran Fri 28-Jun-19 21:49:22

Oh no EMMF1948 not if you view it as the ‘icing on the cake’.

But if it rankles, then I agree - don’t do it.

Imagine never going back to gay Paree because you knew you’d been overcharged for fruit juice!
?

Each to their own. For me, it’s part of the joy of the excursion. That money would get spent anyway over the next month ... on what? Plants? Knitting wool? A few magazines?

Nah! Push the boat out as a one-off and live in the moment!
?

GreenGran78 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:14:34

Many years ago I took my two children on a school day trip to London. With careful planning we managed to fit in all the major sights, including the Crown Jewels. On buying them an ice cream I remarked to the man that they were three times more expensive than those back home. He promptly put an extra scoop on top of each cornet.
My daughter’s memory of the trip was a complete blank. She did, however, vividly remember the extra dollop of ice-cream!

blue25 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:54:03

It's embarrassing when people are obsessed with the price of things when you're supposed to be enjoying a day out!
Life's too short.

A G&T at Queens Tennis last week was £9.50. Expensive yes, but so what-all part of the day out. Can't be doing with people penny pinching.

MawBroonsback Fri 28-Jun-19 23:27:48

In Lady Windemere's Fan, Oscar Wilde had Lord Darlington quip that a cynic was ' a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.'
As with so much of what Wilde wrote or said, it's more than just a nice turn of phrase – it hits at the heart of the problems of society.
Perhaps as true today as then ?

Shizam Sat 29-Jun-19 00:30:57

Tickets for west end theatre are mad now. Talking £150 each for a show. And they sell out! Luckily last one I wanted to see did a live screening at local cinema.

Ellianne Sat 29-Jun-19 06:37:25

I don't think anyone should have to justify the price they pay for a drink while out. As others have said, it's the enjoyment of the whole occasion that counts and often the cost is worth it.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 29-Jun-19 08:17:37

They are outrageous, aren't they? Years ago we saw the Eagles in Birmingham - I'd waited years for them to reform. DH went to buy a programme and I said, "If they're more than £10 maybe not to bother". They were £12 but he got one anyway as a memento of the evening.
Very nice too and I still have it years later but it was made of very thick and glossy paper. Couldn't they use something flimsier and cheaper - after all you could still keep it as a souvenir, couldn't you?
We are being taken for a ride at these events. The Eagles were superb by the way and it was the best concert ever.

Kim19 Sat 29-Jun-19 08:26:45

UrmG, have to say again I really like your style and way of thinking on this one. Bravo you!

Rufus2 Sat 29-Jun-19 10:55:42

That money would get spent anyway over the next month
Not being selfish, I'd give my excess money to the poor of M/c,sorry, Melb. OoRoo

KatyK Sat 29-Jun-19 11:09:38

We went to see Michael Bublé in May. The ticket prices weren't too bad (compared to what my sisters paid for Rod Stewart). The Bublé show was fantastic and well worth the money. DH insisted on buying a programme, although I asked him not to. It was £20 and just lots of pictures in it. A bit much in my opinion. It will just go in a drawer with all the others. The first time I saw the Beatles live it was ten bob!