Gransnet forums

Chat

Even at my age!

(96 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 19:08:01

My wardrobe isn’t coordinated. It’s definitely not capsule.
I would love to be one of those stylish women with ‘key’ items that mix and match!

At 64y perhaps I will just continue to ‘muddle along’. I’ve particularly noticed it this afternoon because I’m packing a grip bag for 6 days away.

I started out fine, then panicked as space will be at a premium in our little car with its tiny boot and I’ve sadly realised that I have some nice clothes but no flair for putting them together well. Oh dear.
?

Callistemon Mon 01-Jul-19 21:59:47

Lisagran That area was recommended to us by someone who said the weather was so different between north and south Britanny - the north like Cornwall ie unpredictable, the south always warm and sunny.

We always seemed to have lovely weather, sometimes ventured down to the Vendee too.

Nanna58 Mon 01-Jul-19 21:04:16

In summer I always wear black, white and grey. Then add bright bags, shoes and jewellery. Done it for years because for me it works. In winter I find this too harsh, so wear brown, cream and beige. Makes things a helluva lot easier to put together.

Lisagran Mon 01-Jul-19 07:23:10

callistemon - yes, we too used to visit Brittany a lot, camping, when ours were little. Pleasantly surprised this year in revisiting, not been this way for years, but it’s been lovely. Different without children, ha ha!

Callistemon Sun 30-Jun-19 23:06:33

We used to visit that area when the children were young, Lisagran.
I have a yearning to go back now that I've seen your photos!

GabriellaG54 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:45:29

lisagran Lisagran blush

GabriellaG54 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:44:23

lisagran
Your latest photo is absolutely gorgeous. I love the flowers in the foreground.
I've only been to Dinan and St Malo on the coast.

Mcbab Sun 30-Jun-19 21:04:18

Can be a useful exercise to spend a couple e of hours going through your wardrobe and trying what goes with what. I spent an evening doing this and was pleasantly surprised to discover tops and bottoms that went together really well but I had never had the time (or patience!) when getting dressed in the morning to try them out.

Stella14 Sun 30-Jun-19 19:51:10

Absolutely Lisagran. I too wear a lot of linen. Also, cotton (preferably organic cotton), a bit of cashmere and sone silk pieces for when dressed-up (usually only when on a cruise!). I do not generally like synthetic fabrics. Occasionally, there is something exceptional, but mostly I avoid synthetic.

Lisagran Sun 30-Jun-19 19:28:39

Paperbackwriter - Googled Rundholz - cool clothes, but pricey even when reduced. Thanks for the link though

tinaf1 Sun 30-Jun-19 18:46:44

Thank God Urmstongran and others I am not alone ?

JulieMM Sun 30-Jun-19 18:44:16

What a lovely thread... thank you all so much, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments on this sunny Sunday afternoon! Some of the threads on here can be quite dismal and I can only read a few but this one has been helpful and heartening ☺️

GuestCorrectly Sun 30-Jun-19 18:33:58

When I retired my wardrobe was predominantly black, white and navy blue. It’s taken 5 years but bit by bit it’s now turquoise, sky blue and pale pink - makes me feel so much better.

Joplin Sun 30-Jun-19 18:26:20

Tillybelle- ditto to a most of your post!

Paperbackwriter Sun 30-Jun-19 18:02:33

I agree about getting your colours done - it really does make a difference. But don't necessarily let them talk you into getting styling done as well - the tendency is to decide you need to Dress Your Age. I like slightly mad clothes from Rundholz and Studio 3b and so on (Google Walkers Style) and am definitely not a Jaeger sort (apart from one wonderful black wool coat..). If you like a floral dress with a biker jacket, then go with it.

Kirstyfiona Sun 30-Jun-19 17:46:39

I have a simple clothes strategy!
Everything has to co ordinate with navy.
Summer and winter, all my shoes, bags, boots and trainers are navy and l only buy separates, scarves etc that go with them. It makes packing for holiday really easy as everything works together and I don’t actually own that many clothes.

Day6 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:30:44

Oh yes Maggiemaybe, I feel undressed without earrings

I too have a large number of odd earrings. Like odd socks (that I really should ditch) they are waiting for their other half to appear.

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Jun-19 17:21:58

I do agree that earrings are a must. I have a vast collection (and another vast collection of single ones waiting forlornly for their lost partners to turn up).

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Jun-19 17:15:43

This is why I have a lot of dresses - it’s a whole lot easier!

Lisagran Sun 30-Jun-19 16:47:58

We’re in Benodet in Brittany now, Gabriella, heading towards Roscoff for the ferry tomorrow. First pic was near Arzon, Golfe du Morbihan

Disgruntled Sun 30-Jun-19 16:29:54

When I was 13 I did an exchange with a girl in Paris. Even at that age she was stylish: she wore grey, red and black. I hardly even knew my own name. Fast forward 100 years - a friend of mine came round and said she'd just been to have her colours done. I said "Oh, Pat! For goodness' sake, what waste of time and - what's the number?" I had mine done and have never regretted it.

GabriellaG54 Sun 30-Jun-19 16:14:58

A beautiful view Lisagran.
Whereabouts in France is it?

Lisagran Sun 30-Jun-19 16:02:13

Stella14 - agree about wearing what you love. What you wear depends on your budget, your sense of style, your interest in clothes, etc - but mostly, surely, on your lifestyle. I would never now - and I rarely did when working - wear a blazer style jacket, “slacks”, a printed silk square scarf.......because I’d look daft in our campervan, at the swimming pool with GC, in the supermarket, etc? I’d feel dressed up and uncomfortable. White Stuff is about as smart as I get. In France sunshine at the moment in our campervan - bought a loose linen dress from a market yesterday - v easy to wear and cool.

Glammy57 Sun 30-Jun-19 15:57:26

According to everyone who knows me, I’ve always been very stylish. The last year or two, since taking HRT, I have struggled a bit with my “dress sense” because I now have a 34f bust. A capsule wardrobe would not work for me as I would become bored with the same clothes. I always have at least two cashmere coats, two trench coats by Jaeger or Jigsaw, a few Coach handbags, funky shoes in bright colours (often high wedges), several mock-wrap tops. I hate patterned or crop trousers, only wear NYDJ jeans and leggings by the same brand. Bright colours and bold patterns are a no-no for me. Chunky necklaces are not for me but I love dainty earrings. There are always a few plain, cashmere sweaters in my chest of drawers and smart wide leg trousers in my wardrobe. I hate summer and stick to cotton maxi dresses and tailored cotton or linen trousers. Watches are my favourite accessory - I have loads in different styles and straps!

EmilyHarburn Sun 30-Jun-19 15:36:56

If you want a capsule wardrobe of coordinating flattering colours whynot save up and get a Color me beautiful consultant to do a home visit. I had one on my retirement with two friends putting into bin bags anything that did not suit me and that they did not want to wear.

That was 9 years ago and now I need to do some work myself i.e all short sleeved tops out, most long sleeved shirts with cuffs out etc. I now buy garments with 3/4 sleeves, and
only buy to my colours which means that if the garment fits me I can coordinate them. With this I have 4 scarf hangers one for each of may main colours.

Am now off to a wedding. have had the hairdresser put streaks of my main 3 colours in my hair and an coordinating wardrobe. Gel nails on Tuesday. This is all fun once in a while.

Bijou Sun 30-Jun-19 15:19:00

Sorry Gillybob. It is Bathsheba who has 50+ tops.