Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you hate as a child?

(201 Posts)
GinJeannie Sun 30-Jun-19 13:05:46

While watching Glastonbury ( briefly!) yesterday, I happened to spot a Punch n’ Judy kiosk directly behind the interviewers and it instantly reminded me how much I hated the whole Punch n’ Judy thing as a child. Just awful, made me feel really ill at ease then, and now! Also hated the rhymes below pictures of Rupert the Bear in those blasted annuals Santa brought every single year! What did you hate as a child?

gillybob Sun 30-Jun-19 16:09:52

I’ll also join Grannybags as I hated school too .

joannapiano Sun 30-Jun-19 16:13:59

Our outside toilet, the only one at our house. I put off going as long as I could, and had chronic constipation. I was then dosed with Petrolagar.

Namsnanny Sun 30-Jun-19 16:14:23

School dinners. The smell in the canteen made me feel sick so I used to bunk off and run home to sit in the garden, until I got caught (7-11y)!

Steptoe and son on the tv. The arguments and unkind behaviour towards each other made me cry. I used to leave the room!

Cold meals being served up every mealtime until I finished it.

Driving any distance because I had car sickness.

Being left out of my brothers
games because I was just a ‘girl’.

Having no friends close to call on.smile

fiorentina51 Sun 30-Jun-19 16:16:05

Virol with cod liver oil....?

Namsnanny Sun 30-Jun-19 16:16:47

Me to grannybagsgrin!!
Miserable and lonely

FarNorth Sun 30-Jun-19 16:21:27

Coconut. Beetroot. Semolina.
'Funny' scenes in films & tv programmes of people throwing food around.

shysal Sun 30-Jun-19 16:32:44

Any mention of the British Raj. I felt very uncomfortable that 'we' took over and made the locals into servants. I still can't watch TV dramas about the era.

MiniMoon Sun 30-Jun-19 16:52:38

Do you know, I don't think I hated anything during my childhood. I couldn't stomach milk, so took a note at the beginning of each new school year, so that I could be excused from having to drink it.

farview Sun 30-Jun-19 17:01:01

Daleks ...had nightmares about them
Sp*d*rs..still don't like them
Snotty noses...yuk...

Grandma70s Sun 30-Jun-19 17:02:20

Maths.

Sewing.

School games and the horrible shorts and aertex shirt we wore.

Tap dancing, which I had to endure at the end of my beloved ballet lessons.

Piano lessons, although I was a very keen singer and dancer and loved music. I was just no good at the piano.

School mince.

Wasps.

An advertisement at our local station for the anti-vivisection league (not sure of exact name). It was a large picture of a kitten and a puppy with a large knife over them, and the words Under the Shadow of the Knife. I found this so upsetting I could hardly bear to pass it.

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Jun-19 17:06:12

I hated our outside toilet too. Going out in the cold and dark with a Kelly lamp and seeing a spider scuttling into a web in the corner. And that hideous smelly shiny Izal paper in squares.

I particularly hated the earth closet we had for a while. If you were particularly lucky you’d be sitting on it when there was an almighty crash and a huge shovel would thrust its way in way beneath you. And that smell! envy We went to a nature reserve with a composting toilet the other week and there it was again.

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Jun-19 17:07:38

And chilblains - oh, they hurt!

Nannyxthree Sun 30-Jun-19 17:31:50

Liver or any offal. Also outside loo but not because it was an earth closet but because of the HUGE spiders.

My mother was a prolific knitter and she would knit my swimsuits which sagged in water and itched when dry!

angelic Sun 30-Jun-19 17:33:24

My Mum serving food, the plates being so hot that the Oxo gravy would be bubbling (bless her)

Children at school, picking their noses, looking at it, then eating it!
Aaarrgh

Day6 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:40:52

And I agree with DanniRae about the last thing on her list. Never could and still can't stand them, even the word makes me shudder

And I am copying your sentences Septimia but even thinking about those slithering creatures makes me feel sick.

Nannyxthree Sun 30-Jun-19 17:41:17

I agree about kissing an auntie who smoked and mine insisted on a kiss on the lips even when she had a cold sore - YUK!
Also hated having my nose pinched between an adults knuckles which they seemed to think was a friendly gesture!! It didn't hurt - just unpleasant.

vena11 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:41:26

Beef stew , I was always made to finish my dinner, never ever allowed to leave the table and chew chew chewed and it ended up dry and felt like straw in my mouth and was made to swallow it, cruel cruel is all I can say is shock

Day6 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:45:17

Coach or bus travel always made me feel ill. (We didn't have a car.) I was often coach sick so I hated school trips

I hated the small and look of the tripe and onions my Mum would serve Dad for his tea, and the stuffed hearts. I do like liver and kidneys though and my children would eat offal when young, but not now.

Septimia Sun 30-Jun-19 17:45:20

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Day6 !

And I'm sorry, crazyH, it didn't work .....

Americanpie Sun 30-Jun-19 17:47:03

The school dentist, he managed to put me off dentists for a very long time and every filling I'd had from him had to be removed and replaced when I saw an expert dentist when I was 15. Thank goodness my older sister took me to see her dentist.

GabriellaG54 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:47:31

Mince, except if it was lamb mince with onion, diced potatoes, and carrots in a shortcrust pastry pie.
Mum was a whizz at pies and baking in general. I hated mince on it's own with boiled potatoes.
There are lots of foods I dislike now as much as I did as a child.

Day6 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:48:13

I disliked the freezing cold lino in the bedroom under my feet. During the winter months when the windows iced up as well, we didn't have to be told twice to put our slippers on when getting out of bed.

Greyduster Sun 30-Jun-19 18:02:24

The nauseating smell of cabbage that wafted across the playground from the school kitchens and into the open classroom windows.
School milk. Any milk in fact!
My mother’s meat and potato pie was a torment. I was made to sit in abject misery until I ate it!
P.E.; needlework; domestic science; maths.
My second piano teacher.
Fresh pineapple. Fortunately, we didn’t see it very often.
Sunday school - I would always much sooner be running around in the woods on a Sunday afternoon!
Having my hair plaited.

BBbevan Sun 30-Jun-19 18:10:19

I was a thin and sickly child. I had Virol everyday, which I loved. Hated Scott's Emulsion which I also had daily. White, thick, gloopy and fishy. Made me retch . Yuk

angelic Sun 30-Jun-19 18:19:00

Milk of Magnesia & Calamine Lotion