Gransnet forums

Chat

What did you hate as a child?

(201 Posts)
GinJeannie Sun 30-Jun-19 13:05:46

While watching Glastonbury ( briefly!) yesterday, I happened to spot a Punch n’ Judy kiosk directly behind the interviewers and it instantly reminded me how much I hated the whole Punch n’ Judy thing as a child. Just awful, made me feel really ill at ease then, and now! Also hated the rhymes below pictures of Rupert the Bear in those blasted annuals Santa brought every single year! What did you hate as a child?

Peaseblossom Mon 01-Jul-19 19:37:09

I've always hated Punch & Judy. Very macabre and scary. I always loved Rupert books and had one every year. I liked the rhymes and the full stories, and would never let my mum read just the rhymes, which were a shortened version of the story and made her read both!
My main pet hate/phobia is spiders. I'm terrified of them. They make me shudder and get palpitations. My mum was the same, maybe I got the fear from her. I remember when I was at junior school and I wouldn't go out of the house to go to school, because there was a spider on the ceiling in the hall. My mum had to get a man walking along our road to get it with a broom and shake it off in the street!
I also hated warm school milk and never drank it.

notanan2 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:37:54

Pantomimes, dolls (was a girl but didnt get how you "play dolls", they dont do anything lile other toys do!), being forced to do the hobbies that my mother chose for me.

annep1 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:41:35

KatyK I do sympathise. My mum bought me cheap plastic sometimes. Being poor was terrible.

Lilyflower Mon 01-Jul-19 19:54:10

Sprouts, butter beans, boiled potatoes and gammon all made me feel very queasy. I have arachnophobia and in Australia, where we lived for a while, the giant spiders terrified me.

I did not like being dirty or joining clubs. I preferred reading to running around with other girls so never became a Brownie.

I mostly liked everything else!

Bellanonna Mon 01-Jul-19 20:00:02

KatyK you had a really difficult start. I do hope you’ve had a much happier adult life. ???

watermeadow Mon 01-Jul-19 20:04:41

The dentist. No local anaesthetics then and the drill was a slow ghastly grind.
Dentists were paid to “Drill and Fill” so always found something to do which involved terror and pain.

OliverZach Mon 01-Jul-19 20:06:36

Agreed Grannybags. School was the worst time o& my life and 1 teacher in particular still haunts me to this day!

Breda Mon 01-Jul-19 20:06:53

As a child that suffered from chronic embarrassment practically all the time I really didn’t enjoy very much at all. I now realise that my embarrassment was largely caused by a very disapproving mother who didn’t encourage us to enjoy ourselves!

Washerwoman Mon 01-Jul-19 20:19:40

Fish.We had to eat everything presented to us for school dinners at primary school and I hated everything about it.The smell,the texture.Added to which my much older brothers used to go fishing ,and when I was about 4 and head height to the kitchen worktop I watched them gut a trout that was riddled with worms.
It took me well into my 20s to try fish or seafood again.And I adore both now.Although I'm still not will never cook or order whole trout !

Graninda Mon 01-Jul-19 20:22:22

Warm school milk, cod liver oil and M and B (some awful strawberry-flavoured penicillin concoction made by May and Baker) to cure measles, whooping cough, mumps etc.

Yangste1007 Mon 01-Jul-19 22:24:52

My father. An out and out bully who is never satisfied with his lot. Still making my mother's life a misery to this day.

KatyK Mon 01-Jul-19 22:34:00

Bella Thank you. I am such a whinger. People go through worse. Thank you.

GrannyLondon Mon 01-Jul-19 22:34:23

Maths at Secondary School. My Maths teacher just couldn’t understand why I couldn’t do it & was very unkind to me.

Nanah67 Mon 01-Jul-19 22:38:53

Porcelain dolls gave me the creeps. It was worse when my brothers smashed their faces in truly terrifying. The cold I will never forget it and the outside toilet was a nightmare.

Callistemon Mon 01-Jul-19 22:48:03

Moths that fluttered and daddy longlegs that rattled round my bedroom at night if the light was on and I was reading. I used to shout for my dad to come and 'get them'!

I don't see many moths now and haven't seen a daddy longlegs (crane fly) for years and hope I didn't add to their decline.

Callistemon Mon 01-Jul-19 22:50:33

gillybob that's terrible, poor you sad

Ellie Anne Mon 01-Jul-19 23:11:03

Hated parties where you had to play team games and run. I was so self conscious

Urmstongran Mon 01-Jul-19 23:45:44

One of my maternal uncles.
He lived with us for a few weeks when I was only 4y old.
A baby really when I think back.
Because of lack of space where we lived at the time, my kind mum and dad who put him up to help him get on his feet, let him share my bedroom.
?

Grandyma Tue 02-Jul-19 10:18:54

I hated school!!
I also hated the tv programme Robin Hood. It was on Sunday evening and the theme tune filled me with dread as it meant bedtime and the start of another school week to come the next morning.

Miep1 Tue 02-Jul-19 10:37:50

School milk; I've never had any since
Kidneys
Any puppets/dolls especially Pelham and porcelain-faced ones
Crimplene dresses - my mother bought me one and insisted I wear it for best. I loathed it
Porridge/cereal - see milk
Public school
Tea

Guineagirl Tue 02-Jul-19 10:45:42

Having my photo took, I hate it still today and also I found the Singing Ringing Tree very scared

Guineagirl Tue 02-Jul-19 10:46:02

Loads more but the list would be endless

Blondiescot Tue 02-Jul-19 14:20:45

Guineagirl, I'm with you on having my photo taken. I actively go out of my way to avoid it - so much so that my kids often point out that I'm not in any family photos. My daughter even joked that if I ever went missing, they wouldn't be able to produce a missing person poster of me!

Happysexagenarian Tue 02-Jul-19 19:00:40

Spiders - still hate them.

Maths - I still don't know my tables.

Dentists. I have only recently conquered my fear.

Reading aloud at school. But I loved drama and acting and was never shy on stage.

Communal showers after PE.

The knitted vests and cardigans my mother insisted I wear. When I went to secondary school I flatly refused to wear the cardigans she knitted me. She was an excellent knitter and they were beautifully made, but I just wanted the shop bought ones that everyone else had.

Being dragged along on countless visits and social events by my mother so that she could 'show me off' or simply because she didn't want to go on her own. So embarrassing and boring.

SirChenjin Tue 02-Jul-19 19:38:34

Mince in any form
My headmistress - a terrifying relic from WW2
The dentist who filled every one of my baby teeth molars and pre molars ?
Spiders and earwigs in equal measures
The fact that I couldn’t do cartwheels or hand stands
My dad for moving us from a lovely little village in Kent to the frozen NE of Scotland