Gransnet forums

Chat

Have I been wrong all this time?

(21 Posts)
kittylester Mon 01-Jul-19 15:32:25

Currently, I am ironing and watching the tennis. I keep hearing about a player called Niomi (Naomi) Osaka. When I was at school one of my friends was called Naomi.

When did Naomi start being pronounced Niomi? Was it a regional thing and we were wrong all the time?

Day6 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:36:22

Is that Nye-omi, as opposed to Nay-omi, Kitty? I hadn't noticed but I'll listen out for it.

Thank you for a reminder about Wimbledon. I shall sit and watch with a cuppa after a busy morning.

Anniebach Mon 01-Jul-19 15:38:48

I have known several all called Niomi , both are used kitty

kittylester Mon 01-Jul-19 15:39:59

It's all over the flipping place! I heard someone say it in the supermarket the other day!

dogsmother Mon 01-Jul-19 15:41:23

My sister is called Naomi Nay omi and I get so cross for her when it is mispronounced.

GillT57 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:48:31

Whoever it was Na-omi or Ny-omi I had to switch it off because of the grunting!

SueDonim Mon 01-Jul-19 18:56:44

I considered naming my youngest Dd Naomi but that awful Nye-omi pronounciation had already started coming into use and I knew it would drive me demented to hear it being pronounced that way, so it got crossed off the list.

Marydoll Mon 01-Jul-19 19:24:33

I've taught a few children (in the Glasgow area) called Naomi. Their names have always been pronounced Ny-oamee. grin

BBbevan Mon 01-Jul-19 19:48:10

When we were young ,my gran had a lodger. We called her No-me. Now I would say Nay-oamie

mumofmadboys Mon 01-Jul-19 19:54:09

I have been watching the tennis and ironed today's washing!! Unusual for me!

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jul-19 20:30:21

I have a grandchild called Nyomi spelt that way

kittylester Mon 01-Jul-19 20:35:05

That's a different thing obviously, bluebelle.

Bellanonna Mon 01-Jul-19 20:44:28

I’ve always heard it both ways

shysal Mon 01-Jul-19 20:45:35

There are other names which are pronounced differently these days. One is Aaron, used to be Airon, now Aran. Another is Anthony, used to be Antony, now with a 'th' in the middle.

Marydoll Mon 01-Jul-19 21:33:46

My son's name is Anthony. I have always pronounced it as Antony. However, whenever he is in trouble, it is always An th ony and knows it!?

Bathsheba Mon 01-Jul-19 22:23:50

I've never understood how Naomi can be pronounced Nye-omi. It simply makes no sense to me. I knew someone in school by that name and it was always pronounced Nay omi, i.e. with the stress on the 'o'. I have know others who pronounce it Nay-uh-mi, with no stress - a bit like the way we say Peony. I rather like that pronunciation, a bit gentler. But Nye-omi? No, sorry confused

BlueSapphire Tue 02-Jul-19 10:28:50

I have had this trouble when doing supply teaching in Australia; I would call the register and there would be laughter if I pronounced a name wrongly. And Naomi and Aaron were always difficult. This was back in the 1980s.
I'd always pronounced them as Airon and Nay-OH-me. Apparently in Australia it was Arron and NAY-oh-me.

ninathenana Tue 02-Jul-19 11:06:45

Reminds me of a girl in .y class at school. Her name was Deborah we all pronounced it Deb-rah (Debs) but one teacher insisted on calling her De-BOR-ah much to her disgust and our amusement.

BBbevan Tue 02-Jul-19 13:58:33

Siobahan pronounced ' See-oh- baa - han is another miss pronounciation I have heard .

yggdrasil Tue 02-Jul-19 14:10:39

I remember a story about a teacher asking a boy what his name was and getting the reply Gooey.
It wasn't till she saw it written down she realised it was spelt Guy.!

shysal Tue 02-Jul-19 22:07:58

A teacher told her new pupil how lovely it was that she had the Shakespearian name of Portia. However, when she saw it written down it was spelt Porsche!