Gransnet forums

Chat

Have I been wrong all this time?

(21 Posts)
shysal Tue 02-Jul-19 22:07:58

A teacher told her new pupil how lovely it was that she had the Shakespearian name of Portia. However, when she saw it written down it was spelt Porsche!

yggdrasil Tue 02-Jul-19 14:10:39

I remember a story about a teacher asking a boy what his name was and getting the reply Gooey.
It wasn't till she saw it written down she realised it was spelt Guy.!

BBbevan Tue 02-Jul-19 13:58:33

Siobahan pronounced ' See-oh- baa - han is another miss pronounciation I have heard .

ninathenana Tue 02-Jul-19 11:06:45

Reminds me of a girl in .y class at school. Her name was Deborah we all pronounced it Deb-rah (Debs) but one teacher insisted on calling her De-BOR-ah much to her disgust and our amusement.

BlueSapphire Tue 02-Jul-19 10:28:50

I have had this trouble when doing supply teaching in Australia; I would call the register and there would be laughter if I pronounced a name wrongly. And Naomi and Aaron were always difficult. This was back in the 1980s.
I'd always pronounced them as Airon and Nay-OH-me. Apparently in Australia it was Arron and NAY-oh-me.

Bathsheba Mon 01-Jul-19 22:23:50

I've never understood how Naomi can be pronounced Nye-omi. It simply makes no sense to me. I knew someone in school by that name and it was always pronounced Nay omi, i.e. with the stress on the 'o'. I have know others who pronounce it Nay-uh-mi, with no stress - a bit like the way we say Peony. I rather like that pronunciation, a bit gentler. But Nye-omi? No, sorry confused

Marydoll Mon 01-Jul-19 21:33:46

My son's name is Anthony. I have always pronounced it as Antony. However, whenever he is in trouble, it is always An th ony and knows it!?

shysal Mon 01-Jul-19 20:45:35

There are other names which are pronounced differently these days. One is Aaron, used to be Airon, now Aran. Another is Anthony, used to be Antony, now with a 'th' in the middle.

Bellanonna Mon 01-Jul-19 20:44:28

I’ve always heard it both ways

kittylester Mon 01-Jul-19 20:35:05

That's a different thing obviously, bluebelle.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jul-19 20:30:21

I have a grandchild called Nyomi spelt that way

mumofmadboys Mon 01-Jul-19 19:54:09

I have been watching the tennis and ironed today's washing!! Unusual for me!

BBbevan Mon 01-Jul-19 19:48:10

When we were young ,my gran had a lodger. We called her No-me. Now I would say Nay-oamie

Marydoll Mon 01-Jul-19 19:24:33

I've taught a few children (in the Glasgow area) called Naomi. Their names have always been pronounced Ny-oamee. grin

SueDonim Mon 01-Jul-19 18:56:44

I considered naming my youngest Dd Naomi but that awful Nye-omi pronounciation had already started coming into use and I knew it would drive me demented to hear it being pronounced that way, so it got crossed off the list.

GillT57 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:48:31

Whoever it was Na-omi or Ny-omi I had to switch it off because of the grunting!

dogsmother Mon 01-Jul-19 15:41:23

My sister is called Naomi Nay omi and I get so cross for her when it is mispronounced.

kittylester Mon 01-Jul-19 15:39:59

It's all over the flipping place! I heard someone say it in the supermarket the other day!

Anniebach Mon 01-Jul-19 15:38:48

I have known several all called Niomi , both are used kitty

Day6 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:36:22

Is that Nye-omi, as opposed to Nay-omi, Kitty? I hadn't noticed but I'll listen out for it.

Thank you for a reminder about Wimbledon. I shall sit and watch with a cuppa after a busy morning.

kittylester Mon 01-Jul-19 15:32:25

Currently, I am ironing and watching the tennis. I keep hearing about a player called Niomi (Naomi) Osaka. When I was at school one of my friends was called Naomi.

When did Naomi start being pronounced Niomi? Was it a regional thing and we were wrong all the time?