Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogs. Advice please

(60 Posts)
Auntieflo Tue 02-Jul-19 22:12:09

Surely if this woman is running a business, she should at least have public liability insurance.
In some areas, only 4 dogs can be be walked at one time together.

sodapop Tue 02-Jul-19 20:38:55

I agree this is unacceptable. Are there any restrictions on the number of dogs these professionals can take out at any one time. I really can't believe anyone can control six or seven dogs off the lead.
I would talk to your local council and have a word with the woman concerned. Do you know any of the owners of the dogs as they may not realise such a large pack of dogs are being taken out together. I hope your Lurcher recovers ok.

teifi Tue 02-Jul-19 20:25:49

Definitely say something - your poor dog will be seriously upset by being attacked and could take some while to recover his confidence. It might be worth contacting your local Community Police Officer, who could have a quiet word. The aggressive dog should wear a muzzle in public and not be allowed off the lead.

Diane227 Tue 02-Jul-19 20:10:03

Bordersgirl57. The dog mess where we go is really bad. People dont pick up. I think we are going to avoid the place in future. Its a shame because its advertised as a nature reserve. Its o ne of the few places that ive felt comfortable letting the dogs off lead because most people do so and are so friendly. I think it was just bad luck . We usually recall the dogs if we see someone we dont know but this woman just appeared as we were talking to another person and of course lurchers are superfast. If I see her again I will tell her because that dog must be aggressive to bite like that.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 20:07:10

The dog walker should be licensed by the local council and will be subject to rules such as control of the dogs under her care and a limit put on the amount of dogs she can handle at one time. She should be insured. I would certainly give her the bill and if she is difficult I would suggest contacting the council, particularly if the dogs look to be out of control.

We see a number of dog walkers and they are very closely monitored by the council.

NanaandGrampy Tue 02-Jul-19 18:51:54

I would definitely say something .

Its not good enough - she is supposed to have her dogs under control. But to be fair, your dog should have been on the lead to if you cant get an instant recall from him. You have to be in control also.

Bordersgirl57 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:50:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Septimia Tue 02-Jul-19 18:37:34

I'd have thought that so many dogs running loose together would behave as a pack and would therefore potentially be dangerous to people as well as dogs. I'd be inclined to keep your dogs on the lead when she's about, then if the dogs she's supposed to be looking after come and make trouble you'll be in a good position to say something about it.

Diane227 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:25:37

I meant dogs will be dogs not fogs.

Diane227 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:24:40

Most days we walk our three dogs at a local quarry. A lot of regulars go there so we have got to know quite a few dogs and their owners. Today ours were running about with a Saluki when a professional dog walker appeared with 7 dogs most off lead. We see this lady from time to time and have often wondered how she copes. Today our Lurcher ran over to her pack. He is completely friendly and just wanted to play. One of her dogs a cross collie by the look of it chased our lurcher and gave him a nasty bite on the back. The woman ignored it and walked off. Our dog needed vet treatment. Sedation, antibiotics and 4 stitches. He is sore and subdued. It cost 100 pounds in fees. Should I speak to this dog walker next time I see her ? Or just take the attitude dogs will be fog?