Gransnet forums

Chat

School dinners

(29 Posts)
cake Wed 03-Jul-19 09:41:17

I usually read rather than post, but I thought a discussion that came up with a friend last night may interest others too. We were reminiscing about school dinners, the good and the bad. Everyone loathed faggots - why did they keep feeding them to us. Yuck. Even the word makes me queasy after all these years. The other things that stand out in my mind are 'cheese flaps' which were sort of like puff pastry pasties filled with cheese. We had cake on Fridays too so everyone was always in a rush to get there first. There were lots of teachers shouting "don't run in the corridors". Funny how these things come back to you

MiniMoon Sun 07-Jul-19 22:19:32

I went home for dinner at primary school. I only lived about five minutes walk from the school gates.
I stayed for dinner at secondary school though. We had a fabulous cook in Mrs Samson, she ruled the kitchen with a rod of iron! My favourite dinner was brown stew with mashed potatoes and mashed swede. My favourite pudding was anything that was offered, they were all lovely. Chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce and Manchester tart with custard were particularly delicious. ??

MissAdventure Sun 07-Jul-19 22:22:29

I hated school dinners.
I can remember the aroma of cabbage lingering around the halls as the morning wore on, along with unspeakable mince something or other, with lots of gristle into the mix.

It makes me feel queasy to this day.

Littleannie Sun 07-Jul-19 22:29:33

Jam roly poly pudding, which we called boiled baby!