Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m such high maintenance

(15 Posts)
PinkCakes Wed 21-Oct-20 13:45:29

Whitewavemark2 You've certainly got some things to contend with sad. I'm lucky not to be on any medication apart from one antidepressant, and although I'm far too fat, I haven't got any medical conditions (yet).

I get up, shower, wash and dry my hair, do my make-up, that's it. (I wish I had some eyebrows, though, instead of having to pencil them on!)

FlexibleFriend Wed 21-Oct-20 11:40:37

I use quality products and always have so no difference there, other than that nothing has changed. I have always taken care of myself and still do and my needs remain the same.

TerriBull Wed 21-Oct-20 09:58:34

Well higher maintenance in some respects, but offset by lower maintenance in other areas, far less make up these days, moisturiser, eyebrows and a bit of lipstick for me, although it's a bit of a waste of time with the latter if I'm going out with a mask. I spent far longer with all that full make up palaver in my younger years particularly when I was at work and I only wash my hair every 3 days now, it used to be daily because I felt it was greasy then, now it's more prone to dryness if anything.

On the other hand, have to slather Diprobase on a lot of my body parts after I've showered since I developed eczema a couple of years ago, my GP recommended this product and it certainly keeps it under control. Strange how we develop conditions we never suffered from when we were young. Also make sure I put my cracked heel cream on every day something else I became aware of a few years ago.

Teeth get far more attention now what with habitual flossing and the use of interdental brushes something I never bothered with before. So maybe I'm high maintenance now, but I don't think I take that long to get ready to face the world.

Hetty58 Wed 21-Oct-20 09:26:29

Why do people strip all the natural oils from their skin - then smother themselves in petrochemicals? Anyone?

My hairdresser says that most people use far too much shampoo, then rinse it off too quickly. I use half the amount and leave it on while I shower. No conditioner (it just makes my scalp itch).

A tiny bit of Sanex Zero suits my skin. Coconut oil on my face, knees and elbows - done!

BlueBelle Wed 21-Oct-20 08:37:24

I don’t care about my body any differently to what I did when I was 20 in and out the shower each morning 7 am, hair washed with whatever us the cheapest shampoo, washing up liquid if I ve got no shampoo, drip dry while making the bed quick towel rub after, bit of make up on 5 minutes tops, earrings on, (always need my earrings on even if I m going to the allotment ?) out the house Very low maintenance
Just lucky I guess

agnurse Wed 21-Oct-20 08:29:05

I have recently become higher maintenance in regards to my hair. I have very curly hair - probably a 2b or a 2c, which means it's between straight and tight curles. My kid introduced me to the Curly Girl Method, which means I have to use special shampoos and conditioners on my hair and dry it using an old T-shirt. I must say, it's done wonders for my curls! It sometimes looks as if I've had a perm, but it's all me!

Marydoll Wed 21-Oct-20 07:41:06

Babboy you have been a busy B! Reported, spam!

BobJones85 Wed 21-Oct-20 07:25:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bathsheba Thu 04-Jul-19 12:27:35

Whitewave grin

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jul-19 12:26:24

Oh yes and there’s the beard of course!

Namsnanny Thu 04-Jul-19 12:24:54

Yep same here!! Overheard my son complaining his beard took a while to trim the other day....didn’t have the heart to say it gets worse so think yourself lucky wink

Bellasnana Thu 04-Jul-19 12:10:02

I believe it was Bette Davis who said “Old age ain’t for cissies”! It was one of my dear mum’s favourite quotes and she should know, she lived until she was 92!

Bathsheba Thu 04-Jul-19 12:04:02

And someone else said "Old age never comes alone". That's certainly true for me, and I have similar, but different, daily routines Whitewave, that are time consuming and annoying. I have to go through all the washing and creaming nonsense to keep various horrors at bay shockgrin

I wish I could just brush my teeth and get into bed at night. It used to be so simple, didn't it?!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:53:47

Whitewavemark2, as someone once said “Getting Old is not for Wimps” (sorry cannot remember source of quote, it’s my age!!!)

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:51:13

When I was younger, I would get up shower, wash my hair clean my teeth and put on my makeup when working - job done.

Now it’s shower using a special flannel and towel and disinfecting the shower after. Carefully drying between my toes then applying spray to the nails and cream to my feet twice a day. That’s because I caught nail fungus taking the GC swimming.

I apply oil to my skin because it’s so dry and flaky. . I have special sensitive shampoo because I’m allergic to other brands. The skin on my face is very touchy and flairs up at the drop of a hat.

I have a torn shoulder rotator cuff, which means at the moment I am sitting up to sleep because it’s so painful in bed. Strangely fine being upright. And I have every gadget known to man for my teeth to try and prevent gum problems, and seemingly failing according to my dentist.

I’ve also developed an intolerance to gluten.

??????

Getting older is quite interesting isn’t it?