Gransnet forums

Chat

Your sofas

(131 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 21:22:03

What kind do you have?
Slouchy leather ones, or wing back, more formal ones?

Sensible colours, or bright?

I'm looking at the ones for sale, but I can't decide what my style is.

I started off looking for a red corner unit, but I'm now swaying towards distressed tan leather. (I'll probably end up with plain black)

grannysyb Tue 09-Jul-19 11:56:14

Yes we did, by a very good carpenter and DH painted them. The unit doesn't take much off the size of the room and hides a lot of "stuff" in the bottom cupboards!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 09-Jul-19 11:45:35

Love your storage units, grannysyb and your sofa is nice too. I'm envious. Did you get them built in?

etheltbags1 Tue 09-Jul-19 11:45:32

Mine was new last year but is now in a bit of a state. I was sitting on it when it collapsed. The local repaired was going to charge twice the price I paid just to fix a broken frame. I got a local handyman to bash a few nails and wood but it collapsed again so I upturned it and added some more supports. Up to now it's been fine but I can't get rid. I can't take it to the local charity who repair furniture as there is no fire certificate. It didn't come with one. So I live with it its got a lovely red velour cover and it is soft and comfortable. I know not to buy a cheap sofa in future. Lesson learned

annsixty Tue 09-Jul-19 11:42:50

Mine is very similar to yours Auntyflo g-plan but in velour.
I also have a 3 seater.
They are very dirty and I WILL have them cleaned “soon”!!

grannysyb Tue 09-Jul-19 11:19:09

This is ours, about twelve years since I stripped it back to the frame , put new foam in and recovered it. I've just bought a similar fabric and am going to recover it and put new cushions on in the autumn.

tiredoldwoman Tue 09-Jul-19 11:01:17

Terracotta cloth , just a large 2 seater couch and one chair , it's about 20 years old now but it's still my 'new suite' ! I love it ! I have my best sleeps on it !

Miep1 Tue 09-Jul-19 10:23:28

Dark grey/black block form sort of thing with back cushions and silver legs. I love them

Auntieflo Tue 09-Jul-19 09:31:14

Our sofas are grey leather, two seater, G Plan, that we ordered while we were on holiday a couple of years ago now
The previous ones were cream leather, that survived the many assaults of sticky fingered grandchildren, with just a wipe to keep them looking good, and they lasted from 2001.
We decided to change as the seats were a bit low, and I even made booster cushions to give them a longer life.
They went of to a charity shop to be re-homed.
Our new ones have a higher seat, are comfortable to stretch out on for a snooze, and have high backs. We felt like Goldilocks in the showroom, going round and sitting on every sofa, until we found the ones we both liked.

Lilyflower Tue 09-Jul-19 09:25:37

I have a cream fabric Laura Ashley 'Mortimer' sofa. It is probably the least practical sofa in the world in terms of practicality and keeping clean. However, it is beautiful and, when guests come, I turn the cushions over so it looks new again.

gillybob Tue 09-Jul-19 08:15:00

DH and I first moved in together in the winter of 1991. We bought 2 x 2 seater sofas from M&S in a gorgeous raspberry colour fabric. They were quite expensive (for us) and we got them on 4 years interest free.

Moving on to 2006 we gave the sofas (still in very good condition) to a family member and bought another 2 x 2 seaters in a very light cream . We moved house in 2011 and I brought them with us for the (upstairs) lounge and although they have been professionally cleaned a few times they still look as good as new. About 2 years ago we bought a grey leather sofa for the downstairs dining/family room which is the only room (with the exception of the children’s bedroom) that has a TV and might be the secret to why my cream sofas still look so good upstairs? Oh and I have one of those Sherlock chairs in a kind of duck egg blue too (which we bought ourselves for our 20th wedding anniversary) .

Pittcity Tue 09-Jul-19 08:05:23

I have a teal sofa with a matching round swivel armchair and a grey sofa bed in my lounge. From the well known place that always has a sale. Doesn't show the dirt and bought on interest free credit.

hereshoping Tue 09-Jul-19 07:55:46

Never mind the style, just go round the shop sitting on sofas until you find one that's comfortable.
Sadly when we got this sofa we weren't able to get out and about so ordered one on the internet and it is very uncomfortable. Cushions aren't deep enough, seat too low, no back support and what's with modern seat cushions that they need plumping up every ten minutes or they go flat and hard.

Overthehills Sun 07-Jul-19 22:26:22

Two non matching Chesterfield sofas - the end of one has been customised by the cat! ?

MissAdventure Sun 07-Jul-19 22:14:52

Ooh, that looks lovely!
I really like those colours.
My current suite is burgundy, but maybe now i'll be changing bits and bobs to a more sandy tone.

grannybuy Sun 07-Jul-19 22:10:57

The 'toning' sofas.

grannybuy Sun 07-Jul-19 22:09:12

Both fabric, not matching, just toning. We actually bought the lighter one, which is long, as a house warming gift for DD, but when they moved house, it was too long, so we got it. In the little sitting room, we have a wine Tetrad sofa with cotton loose covers with feather filled cushions. It is now twenty three years old, and as good as new. Looks great when you plump up the cushions - which we have to do regularly.

callgirl1 Sun 07-Jul-19 21:30:13

I love your sofa Coconut, what sort of colour scheme is your room?

RosieLeah Sun 07-Jul-19 21:27:38

Mine is a wooden frame with loose cushions. It means I have a large storage area underneath, and it's more hygienic than a convention sofa.

Callistemon Sun 07-Jul-19 20:58:29

Well done, paddyann.
Ours have gone to good homes too, even though they were probably older than yours.

NormaF Sun 07-Jul-19 20:53:38

A large red one. The best advice I was given was to get one big enough for me to be able to stretch out and have a snooze! And I do, regularly smile

Pantglas1 Sun 07-Jul-19 20:02:53

Same here paddyann but not as often! Our girls weren’t interested in our cast offs but last lot donated to a good home along with spare set of covers.

paddyann Sun 07-Jul-19 19:27:42

Ipass them on to families in need through the local Home to Home charity thats if my daughter doesn't want a change at the same time then her suite goes and she has mine.Nothing gets sold or thrown away its all put to good use

Witchypoo Sun 07-Jul-19 18:37:43

Bright red sofa as room is small and plain light walls to keep it feeling larger. Sofa is the colour in the room with bright red throw for dogs and cats. There is only me so i can get whatever i want

annep1 Sun 07-Jul-19 18:05:51

Looks good MissAdventure and what bargains! We have a leather 3 seater recliner and two M&S recovered chairs. Our last leather settee was uncomfortable but present one is great. I hope they come soon and that you enjoy many years lounging /lying on them.

janeainsworth Sun 07-Jul-19 17:59:17

Your sofa looks really elegant MissA smile