Gransnet forums

Chat

Your sofas

(130 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 21:22:03

What kind do you have?
Slouchy leather ones, or wing back, more formal ones?

Sensible colours, or bright?

I'm looking at the ones for sale, but I can't decide what my style is.

I started off looking for a red corner unit, but I'm now swaying towards distressed tan leather. (I'll probably end up with plain black)

MiniMoon Sat 06-Jul-19 21:25:13

Ours is a brown and beige tweedy corner unit. We have a large living room so needed something big to fill up the middle.

Grannybags Sat 06-Jul-19 21:26:09

Two modern cream leather ones. Brilliant after the grandchildren have been and you can just wipe them with a wet cloth!

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 21:27:52

I find my eye drawn towards the corner sofas, but then realised the one I had before this was a corner unit.
Seems a bit silly to get another.

SalsaQueen Sat 06-Jul-19 21:29:15

We've got 2 leather settees. Modern, 3-seaters, dark brown.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 21:29:33

Oh, I've been eyeing up the cream ones.
I'm worried they'll end up grubby though.

My friends expensive cream ones marked so easily everyone was banned from sitting on them.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Jul-19 21:30:10

Mine's a distressed suite----caused by the cats sharpening their claws down the arms.

boho43 Sat 06-Jul-19 21:30:35

Cream heavy cotton loose covers on slouchy sofa & chairs. Loose covers they are not! They wash beautifully, but nearly give us heart attacks trying to getting the covers back on!!

crazyH Sat 06-Jul-19 21:31:17

Mine is a slouchy, burnt orange leather. It used to be white, when my son had it....he was buying a new set, so I took it off him, got it dyed and it is absolutely stunning. The young man, replenished the filling, dyed it and polished it ...all for £250. Everyone thinks it's brand new.

Carenza123 Sat 06-Jul-19 21:33:18

We have a three seater, a two seater and a chair in neutral grey toned material. More comfortable than our old brown leather sofas. Very comfortable. I accessorised in the lounge with mauve and lilac in the winter, then for summer I have accessories in different shades of yellow.

MawBroonsback Sat 06-Jul-19 21:34:21

Cream loose covered, , traditional but as only I could be daft enough to buy two cream sofas with a black dog, throws to reduce the incidence of black hairs!

Septimia Sat 06-Jul-19 21:37:27

Ours are cream, too, but I bought ones with loose covers so that I could take them off and wash them - just as well with cats sleeping on them. The cats have also ripped the arms to shreds but at least I can either buy or make replacements for much less than a new suite.

NanaandGrampy Sat 06-Jul-19 21:39:06

2 x 2 seaters with electrIc recliners and one armchair ( Grampys).

They’re a sand coloured corded fabric , we use throws for when the grandchildren are here to protect from sticky fingers , they’ve proved to be pretty robust.

Septimia Sat 06-Jul-19 21:39:16

Actually, Maw, looking at your photos, I think we have the same ones. Maybe I should just sneak round and swap our clawed covers for yours!! grin

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 21:40:40

Lots of the sofas on eBay say "immaculate apart from the cat scratches".

Esther1 Sat 06-Jul-19 21:42:41

We have 2 large slouchy brown leather. Actually given to us by son when he got new ones. I thought it was meant to be the other way round! I remember getting my Mum’s cast offs when I got married - now I am still getting cast offs but from my son now! Where did I go wrong! Lol.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Jul-19 21:48:33

Tan leather, well worn, the one that I use (collapse on) sags in the middle!!!

The unused end of lounge has cream leather sofa and chair which get an occasional quick rub over with a baby wipe!!!

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 21:53:00

Oh I hope I don't end up with a saggy one!
I can have extremely cheap new, or faded secondhand "cost lots when we bought it".

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Jul-19 21:56:44

I would not swop/get rid of my saggy one, it fits me!!! It's not posh or classy - it's clean, doesn't smell. I have just redecorated lounge round it. ?????

twiglet77 Sat 06-Jul-19 21:59:42

I have a pair of lovely sofas in a deep rust-red plain chenille-type fabric, with scatter cushions along the back each in slightly different tapestry designs. Originally from Harveys, good value furniture, but I got both for £50 from eBay about 15 years ago, from a couple combining two homes into one. I love them, definitely one of my star bargain buys.

Important feature for me is that the arms are high enough to offer great support if anyone wants to sit with their feet up. I really dislike low sofa arms. I don't like leather furniture (or car seats) because I stick to them in hot weather.

I have tapestry-style throws on each sofa, there are a few threads pulled by the cats, but at that price I've never had to worry what pets or children might do.

No intention of changing them any time soon!

aggie Sat 06-Jul-19 21:59:51

I have my Grans 3piece leather suite , we got it when Mum died , we had it recovered in as near the same leather as we could find , it has oak apron and legs , so useful to shove the Vacuum under .DIL used to say it was the only comfortable chair when she had piles after her first baby ! we must have it 40 years and Mum had it for at least 35 , no idea how long Gran had it , she used to live in a grand house in Rutherglen

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 21:59:55

I've seen a corker of a corner sofa from your neck of the woods, grannygravy.
Its posh and distressed and slouchy and tan all in one.

Its expensive (for me!) but its lovely.

phoenix Sat 06-Jul-19 22:04:24

Corner sofa seems to be the best option for our sitting room.

Pretty large, very dark brown leather, bought in 2005, well "customised" by various cats over the last 14 years, but still sturdy and really comfortable.

blondenana Sat 06-Jul-19 22:05:07

I have had various colour suites, my last one was black leather, but i thought it made the room look dark so bought a cream one, before the black leather one another cream one,i have had blue, red, sage green, ,salmon pink,
It is a standing joke in my house, when people come to visit thy never know what to expect
I always buy good second hand ones, as i get fed up of the same after a couple of years,
My room is very long but quite narrow, and the fireplace is at one end, so i cant get a settee and 2 chairs in comfortably, so now have got a large 2 seater and a large chair

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 22:06:04

Now an Amazon ad is luring me: flashing across the bottom of the screen with two cheery red sofas which are very reasonable.