Chat

Favourite TV detective?

(158 Posts)
Kandinsky Sun 07-Jul-19 09:12:22

I think mine is inspector Morse.
Although I still love Columbo grin

What about yours?

vickya Sun 07-Jul-19 09:57:53

Lewis and the newer one in Midsommer, the one with the dog. Not sure how many grans will have seen the Italian Brunetti ones. They are available do download. They are set in Venice and the detective is lovely, there is the German detective Borwoski on Ch 4. And the original Miss Fisher smile

Esmerelda Sun 07-Jul-19 09:58:22

James Garner in The Rockford Files ...

vickya Sun 07-Jul-19 09:58:56

Brunetti's wife and family are very good too, as are his assistant and the secretary.

GrauntyHelen Sun 07-Jul-19 10:08:52

Rebus

Apricity Sun 07-Jul-19 10:10:41

From the Antipodes, yes it's Morse, first and forever. He is so real, so conflicted but so lovely, so socially incompetant, so completely and utterly hopeless with women but honest and true as the day is long.

And I can't imagine anyone but John Thaw ever, ever playing him but I do acknowledge that the prequel series of 'Endeavour' has done a terrific job - and that is saying a lot for someone who generally doesn't like prequels/sequels etc.

I have also greatly enjoyed the Morse follow on 'Lewis'. I think they did a great job of continuing the very real and convoluted themes and conflicts of 'Morse' without it being a copybook sequel.

Vale Morse.

sodapop Sun 07-Jul-19 10:11:08

I agree Saggi Michael Kitchen is fantastic as Foyle. Also like others
Endeavour
Adrian Dunbar
Idris Elba

Itsnew01 Sun 07-Jul-19 10:13:08

Mine would be Maigret,Played by Rowan Atkinson. Also Pie in the Sky.

toscalily Sun 07-Jul-19 10:13:12

Hard to select just one so will go for Morse/Endeavour & Montalbano. Have to say I have read most of the Brunetti books but was not aware they had been made into TV/film. Vickya, where did you download them from, could you tell me please?

EthelJ Sun 07-Jul-19 10:14:28

I quite like Frank Marker in Public Eye, nothing roo dramatic but lovely understated acting. Also for a bit of fun Jeff Randall and Marty Hopkirk. Also John Nettles in the orginal Midsomer Murders and of course John Suchet as Poirot and Joan Hickson as Miss Marple

EthelJ Sun 07-Jul-19 10:17:29

Sorry David Suchet not John Suchet!

Bellasnana Sun 07-Jul-19 10:18:47

I love Columbo and still watch the re-runs on Sundays. I loved it back in the day but since visiting the back-lot at Universal Studios in California, where much of it was filmed, I enjoy it even more.

Also saw Peter Falk’s house in the Hollywood Hills. It was very sad that he ended his days with Alzheimer’s and had no recollection of having played his iconic role.

Scottiebear Sun 07-Jul-19 10:19:59

Morse. Endeavour. But for a bit of eye candy, Jimmy Perez (Douglas Henshall) in Shetland.

Apricity Sun 07-Jul-19 10:21:17

Was so overcome with my Morse/Endeavour/Lewis gush that I forgot to mention Michael Kitchen as Foyle, David Suchet as Poirot, Joan Hickson as Miss Marple and Luca Zingaretti as Montalbano.

Juliette Sun 07-Jul-19 10:24:44

Granchester, James Norton might be my secret granny crush.
Loved Ashes to Ashes with Philip Glennister and Keeley Hawes.
Hamish Macbeth was always good on a Sunday night.
Morse, Endeavour and Lewis.
So many to choose from.

gran5up Sun 07-Jul-19 10:37:06

First met Morse in books and the TV series is so different, it will never appeal so much to me, despite Colin Dexter's blessing on the Tv series.

My TV favourite, Matthew McFadden as Inspector Reid in "Ripper Street"

Glammy57 Sun 07-Jul-19 10:39:15

Douglas Henshall - Shetland
Idris Elba - Luther

Annaram1 Sun 07-Jul-19 10:40:46

Ethel, I have recently discovered the Talking Pictures tv channel, and I also enjoy Public Eye with Frank Marker.
I think this series is probably from the 60s.
Otherwise of course Poirot.

SueSocks Sun 07-Jul-19 10:53:03

George Gently, DCI Banks, Gene Hunt (Ashes to Ashes, Life On Mars) and of course the fabulous Vera.

harrysgran Sun 07-Jul-19 11:00:22

George Gently, Gene Hunt and Vera for me

Beammeupscottie Sun 07-Jul-19 11:01:50

Vickya

How do you access the Brunetti series?

blossom14 Sun 07-Jul-19 11:01:58

I used to enjoy Inspector Lynley and his sergeant Barbara.

Tweedle24 Sun 07-Jul-19 11:02:01

Montalbano for me too but, I love most of the British ones. I watch the American ones too but, ours are so much more realistic.

inishowen Sun 07-Jul-19 11:05:42

Adrian Dunbar in Line of Duty. I met him years ago. I was struck by the beautifully cut suit he was wearing. I like a man in a nice suit.

kircubbin2000 Sun 07-Jul-19 11:06:26

Bosch, Steve Arnott,Dougie Henshall.

sazz1 Sun 07-Jul-19 11:09:55

Definitely Colombo and Frost. I could watch them all day I love their quirky style.