Gransnet forums

Chat

What should they be paid?

(107 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 08-Jul-19 12:17:22

Watching the rubbish men working hard in the heat today, I thought they should be paid twice whatever they get now.
Politicians? Nothing. They should be volunteers and they only work part-time anyway.
Teachers? Double the pay and a lot fewer hours.
GPS? Halve their £100000 a year. We wait 6 weeks because so many GPs only work 2 or 3 days per week.
Full-time working parents? Enough so they can work only 4 days and see more of their children.
Suggestions for others, please. Thank God I’m retired!

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 12:39:20

Pension money please for us WASPI women!
?
We did our bit.

Eloethan Mon 08-Jul-19 12:40:57

GPs won't earn £100,000 if they work part time. There is a huge shortage of GPs and they are under a lot of pressure.

I'm not sure what rubbish men earn but I agree that they should get good money. But I think so many people are not earning what they deserve - care workers for the elderly, nursery workers, call centre workers - the list is endless. Even professionals whose salary appears to be quite good, such as teaching and nursing, I think are underpaid for the responsibility, hard work and stress they have to cope with.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jul-19 12:42:24

water I think that waste disposal operatives (?) are relatively well paid these days.

annsixty Mon 08-Jul-19 12:52:33

First to be scrutinised should be footballers.
Some of the top players earn well in excess of £1million a month and that doesn’t include their lucrative advertising potential.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Jul-19 13:03:44

Nurses/paramedics should be paid more ( danger money too in some areas )

Higher pay would encourage recruitment which is badly needed.

GP's too should have a fair crack of the whip as some of their patients are hard work and afterall they're there to save people's lives too.

PamelaJ1 Mon 08-Jul-19 13:16:57

Lemon, if we were being paid by results then WDO’s(see above) are very valuable. Without them we would be very sick and need many more nurses and doctors.

gillybob Mon 08-Jul-19 13:33:55

Agree paramedics should earn a good wage (not sure what they get now though?). Refuge collectors already earn a good salary plus very good pension provision too. the only way you can "get on the bins" where we are is to know someone to get you in. A relative of mine does it. Anyway Its hardly a hard/stressful job is it? Mine are miserable gits anyway and I am sick of ringing up after my bin is missed.

I agree with Urmstongran I was promised retirement at 60 but now find that I will have to work an extra 7 years and 4 months. that's what I call Rubbish !

crazyH Mon 08-Jul-19 13:34:10

GPs are well paid .....their 'ash money' and other 'certificate' payments can pay their weekly grocery bills (almost). I know this because I was married to one. So don't feel sorry for them. The Dustmen who come round my way, are the jolliest people I know. They love their job and that says something. They should be paid more.

gillybob Mon 08-Jul-19 13:38:22

Apparently average wage for a refuge collector is £20,243. plus pension and overtime etc. Which is a fairly decent wage in my parts, although I appreciate that there are some who probably wouldn't get out of bed for that.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Jul-19 14:05:22

CrazyH one such GP saved my GD's life when a hair dye she used caused an anaphylactic shock and made her face swell as well as closing her throat. Only the swiftness of the GP in recognising the condition and quickly administering an adrenaline product was my GD saved from a fate worse than death. Then an ambulance picked her up from the surgery and took her to A&E to be checked over etc.
GD now has an EpiPen in case of any other allergic reactions to anything else.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 14:21:52

I remember reading once that hairdressers are the happiest people - so it’s not always the money that motivates people.
?

gillybob Mon 08-Jul-19 14:32:40

I'm not surprised they are with all those tips straight in the back pocket wink

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 14:37:39

Maybe (as in my trips to the hair salon) it’s being creative and finding joy in making something out of nothing much!
?

eazybee Mon 08-Jul-19 14:56:30

If more people worked full-time it would ease the work load for all. So many women work part-time long after their children are teenagers or independent, particularly in education and health; they strive for equality in training and job opportunities then fail to make use of them, all the while complaining because they aren't earning as much as men.

Eloethan Mon 08-Jul-19 15:15:57

Using that argument eazybee, we could go back to the "old days* when people used to work six and a half days as week, with half a day off on Sunday.

I think both women and men should be able to work part time if they wish too. In fact, I think it's high time we had a four day week. I believe there is evidence to suggest that morale and productivity has increased significantly when shorter hours are worked. The presenteeism of the last twenty years or so is being questioned. I think there is some evidence to suggest that presenteeism is just that - presenting that you are working long hours but not actually producing more than people working shorter hours.

Franbern Mon 08-Jul-19 15:34:28

I do admire bus drivers - they have to manouvre those large vehicles down roads which are narrowed by parking on both sides. They have the responsibility of so many peoples lives in their hands. Road works, etc. throw their time-tables completely out of the window. Think they probably actually 'earn' two or three times what they get paid.

glammanana Mon 08-Jul-19 15:49:17

There is a waiting list where I live to be employed by the bin collection company because the pay is that good but again as mentioned it is who you know.
Paramedics and nurses are vastly under paid most paramedics now have to be social workers as well as their trained job due to cuts in services which is dreadful,nurses should be paid for the extra hours they put in most never finish their shifts on time when there are emergencies and they stay on shift,in fact all the emergency services are grossly underpaid.

Calendargirl Mon 08-Jul-19 15:51:56

Not sure who employs the refuse collectors where we live, whether it is still the local authority.
What I do know is they are often emptying our bins soon after 6.30a.m. They all seem young and fit in the old fashioned sense of the word, constantly running between properties. I expect the sooner they finish the round the sooner they can go home.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 15:53:51

Didn’t Harold Wilson say the 4 day working week wasn’t far off?

janeainsworth Mon 08-Jul-19 15:59:32

GPS? Halve their £100000 a year. We wait 6 weeks because so many GPs only work 2 or 3 days per week
So watermeadow do you think parents should not have the right to work part time if they wish?
I think if it was easier for teachers and nurses to work part time perhaps there wouldn’t be such a shortage.
And perhaps fewer of them would leave their professions because of stress.

PamelaJ1 Mon 08-Jul-19 18:35:27

Well my nephew earns more like £80,000 and he works for an on line betting company.
What a waste.

notanan2 Mon 08-Jul-19 18:42:27

Since when do part time GPs get full time pay?

One of the reasons that there are any GPs at all is because its one of the few branches of medicine where family friendly hours arent a career killer!

sodapop Mon 08-Jul-19 18:57:30

Home carers who care for family members should be remunerated adequately.
Like your style gillybob

MissAdventure Mon 08-Jul-19 19:04:38

Refuse Loaders and Litter Pickers
Principle Personnel
Southend
Southend
Temporary, Contract
£8.21 an hour

Just copied this from the 'indeed' jobsite..