Gransnet forums

Chat

What should they be paid?

(108 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 08-Jul-19 12:17:22

Watching the rubbish men working hard in the heat today, I thought they should be paid twice whatever they get now.
Politicians? Nothing. They should be volunteers and they only work part-time anyway.
Teachers? Double the pay and a lot fewer hours.
GPS? Halve their £100000 a year. We wait 6 weeks because so many GPs only work 2 or 3 days per week.
Full-time working parents? Enough so they can work only 4 days and see more of their children.
Suggestions for others, please. Thank God I’m retired!

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 09:10:50

holiday a holidays are

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 09:23:29

My 22 yr old hairdresser bought herself a new Audi TT roadster convertible in May. shock

Luckygirl Tue 09-Jul-19 09:25:54

The delay in seeing a GP is not to do with their salary - it is simply that there are too few of them.

Callistemon Tue 09-Jul-19 09:25:54

This discussion is rather pointless really; are we comparing graduate pay with that of unskilled or semi-skilled workers?

There are so many variables. A refuse collector may be out in all weathers, like a postman or woman. Presumably they could start a job as refuse collector at 18 and I think that the driver earns more. It's a worthwhile job but people's lives don't depend on him or her.
A GP will do about 10 years of training - much of that at medical school probably acquiring debt.

Doctors, nurses, teachers, other professions will all be on a graded pay scale with the chance to be promoted and earn much higher salaries.

Comparing north and south salaries is pointless too (if there is in fact much difference to the scales - does anyone know?) as the cost of living varies.

It's like comparing apples with pears and also with oranges.

MawBroonsback Tue 09-Jul-19 09:27:02

Not long after becoming a pensioner, I stopped tipping my hairdresser when I heard she had taken her H to Dubai for his 40th birthday. envy ( not that I have any desire to visit Dubai grin )

Callistemon Tue 09-Jul-19 09:30:27

I doubt that nurses are leaving in droves to join the Lidl management scheme as the number of places will be limited.
Aldi pay better!

Callistemon Tue 09-Jul-19 09:33:09

MawBroonsback it's very difficult to get an appointment with my hairdresser because a) he's popular and b) he's always off on exotic holidays. I don't tip him now!
Perhaps I should tip my GP, I did get a same day appointment with him smile

jaylucy Tue 09-Jul-19 10:31:29

Most domiciliary carers only get minimum wage - supposedly also get travel expenses but many companies they work for say they will be paid if travel over 9 miles between jobs and then work their calls so that they only do that about once per shift even though they are visiting 7 or 8 clients so in effect they are having to pay for their own petrol as well as wear and tear on their car .
Even in a care home the wages are usually minimum they deserve more.
What really annoys me is "chief executives" of hospitals councils and even schools on a £300,000+ salary, do a rubbish job,leave and get the equivalent of a few years pay for doing a bad job! And they never seem to have trouble getting another job in the same area even though they were so poor in the first!

JillMay Tue 09-Jul-19 10:44:13

As an ex-teacher I can assure you that they do do not work fewer hours than rubbish collectors as much of their time is spent after school hours on marking and lesson preparation and they do not earn fantastic salaries as watermeadow seems to think. In order to teach these days you must have at least a degree plus an extra year to get your teaching certificate, spending at least 4 years at university running up enormous debts as there are few grants these days As for the "long holidays" a large proportion of them is spent on preparation for the new term.

How much training do refuse collectors do? Yes I agree it is a very unpleasant job and well worth the money they earn.

What about adding bankers to your list?

Annaram1 Tue 09-Jul-19 10:45:47

My son is a GP and he is in his 50s. He gets nowhere near £100000 a year, as he is in Devon. He has to be at work at 7.30 am and stops at about 8.30 pm. He is supposed to have a half day off during the week but that is often taken up by attending to loads of paperwork. In his practice they were short of a GP for 4 years as nobody answered the ads. If doctors really get all that money surely there would be some response? As a young trainee in a hospital he was on call day and night, frequently called at night, so could not sleep. He was in a very cramped uncomfortable room in the hospital near the boiler room and the noise was terrific. His pay was less than a junior nurse's.

I believe public toilet cleaners should be paid a lot more than anybody else, especially MPs and footballers. Just thin what they have to do - its a horrible job. Hats off to them.

Hm999 Tue 09-Jul-19 10:53:03

Gabrielle and Eazybee I honestly don't know why as soon as I see the word 'teacher' I don't switch off immediately.
I retired from sec sch teaching 3 yrs ago. In 40+ years, almost every part-timer (and they're a small percentage of the staff) I worked with had young children, or was being begged to stay after retirement because of staffing difficulties. Being on a 0.5 timetable often means 0.6 work.
As for working a 4.5 day week, many are in before 7am, plenty don't leave before 5.30pm, most manage under 30mins sit-down total in breaks. The majority work at home each evening and/or weekends.
As for the regular promotions, I was earning much the same at 63 as a 20-something working for a govt agency.
There are plenty of jobs going, if it's so easy, by all means re-train or get your children to.
Rant over.

BladeAnnie Tue 09-Jul-19 10:57:03

As a nurse, I've got to say nurses - 12 hour shifts+ and often no proper break. However, do it because I care

4allweknow Tue 09-Jul-19 11:12:07

Refuse collectors are on the lowest pay level in the local authority where I live. Having lived through two refuse strikes (one in London, one in Scotland) their role is highly under rated. The horrendous result of refuse not being collected cannot be underestimated. May not be a highly skilled job but is essential for environment and health. GPs are in short supply. Usual length of time to qualify for medical degree plus additional 2 years for GP qualification. Their salary isn't high considering all the studying and responsibility. Think of some of those in financial services they make that in bonuses alone and some have very little qualifications. Footballers have massive rewards for basically doing very little. Media stars are on my list of too much for doing too little.

Hm999 Tue 09-Jul-19 11:31:07

BladeAnnie Nurses are marvels. Thank you for all you do x

BladeAnnie Tue 09-Jul-19 11:46:10

Aww thank you so much Hm999 for your kind words ? x

Caro57 Tue 09-Jul-19 11:46:38

A lot of GPs work part time and do other work - one of ours does x2 days GP and x2 days as hospice doctor. All pay will be pro rata too

Johno Tue 09-Jul-19 12:06:53

Care workers should get another £5 per hour. Police should get a pay cut on top of the cuts they have already had.
Paramedics should get more.
MPs should get £5000 pay cut.
BBC Licence fee should be shut down and go pay for view, then see how much they pay Lineker.

icanhandthemback Tue 09-Jul-19 12:07:20

Lol, Gabriella, you have obviously never worked as a teacher. All those lessons have to be planned, resourced (quite often knit your own), evaluated for each child and every step of the National Curriculum evidenced. All this takes place outside the teaching hours along with the staff meetings, displays in the classrooms, extra-curricula clubs which are expected, parent evenings, sorting out behavioural issues, fund raising, arranging trips with hours of paperwork and so on. Oh, and the evenings and at least one day of the weekend marking work. I’ve worked in lots of different areas of the public sector and commerce, including running a chain of eating establishments but I can honestly say that my work in teaching was the hardest, most stressful time of my life.

Johno Tue 09-Jul-19 12:07:59

Totally agree with 4allweknow....

Nanny27 Tue 09-Jul-19 12:33:16

Totally agree with icanhandthemback. I all my years as a high school teacher I never had a Sunday off from marking. Every evening too until around 9pm. 1 week every autumn accompanying groups on field trips. In school by 8am and never out before 5.30. As for long holidays, two weeks marking coursework at Easter, 1 week preparing Activities Week at Whitsun, 1 week marking mock papers at Christmas. Total holiday 7 weeks.

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jul-19 12:36:47

I also agree with paramedics getting more pay as they're frontline attendants , but who'd be a police officer Johno ? They deserve all the pay they get---and more. I couldn't do their job could you ?
My step GD works on an EMI ward at the local hospital which I know is hard work but her pay doesn't reflect the type of nursing she does. A ward manager gets more ??

Some heads of councils need pay cuts !

Merryweather Tue 09-Jul-19 13:02:43

More stay at home mom’s. Why are mothers encouraged to go back to work a year after child birth? Mom’s are needed at home to raise their children properly by reading to them, playing with them, teaching values and correct behaviour not rushing in from work collecting their children en-route, quick feed of either toast or nuggets before dashing the children to bed.
When do they spend quality time with them? When are they enforcing values, morals and good behaviour. When are they having time to sing or read or draw? Parents are shattered by the weekend and are on housework catch up leaving little time for quality family time.
Madness to pay someone else to raise your child and then not necessarily how you’d like. Then before you know it they start school and that’s it. Childhood Gone!

lefthanded Tue 09-Jul-19 13:06:24

While I agree with much that has been said, I cannot agree with the OP’s suggestion that MPs should be unpaid volunteers. That is how it used to be prior to 1840. It turned an armed uprising (The Chartist Movement) to change it. The Chartists argued that if MPs were not paid then the only people who could afford to take on the job would be those who were independently wealthy. Paying MPs a decent wage meant that the “ordinary people” could take on the job - prevented the country from being under permanent control of the monied classes.

pinkquartz Tue 09-Jul-19 13:40:56

think the dustmen in my area are employed through an agency and do not get high wages or a pension. it is called privatization.
They do a great job and deserve to be paid well.

pinkquartz Tue 09-Jul-19 13:42:57

lefthanded it such a shame we are back to just the rich doing the job again. or do they all become rich as MP's?