Gransnet forums

Chat

Things children say [smile]

(139 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 11-Jul-19 04:04:04

Reminiscing with a friend.
She sent her son (7) outside to watch Dad mending the car. When he came in Mum asked, 'Did Dad say what was wrong with it?'
'Yes,' said, the wee boy, 'some cake was stuck in there.'
Puzzled, she questioned her DH later. The boy had asked if the problem was serious and Dad had answered, 'No, son, it's a piece of cake.'

One of my sons, when he needed the lavatory would say, descriptively, 'My bottom's heavy.'

What's your offspring's droll or funny saying?

chris8888 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:27:55

In London last week walking past St Pauls Cathedral my neice says ‘Wow the Romans were so good at building things’!! Ok then lol

chicken Thu 11-Jul-19 10:28:30

My brother when little had a prolonged stay in hospital and, when back home, begged Mum not to give him "shiny pudding". One day, she dished up tapioca pudding and it was greeted with floods of tears and wails of "I told you not to give me shiny pudding"!

Blinko Thu 11-Jul-19 10:36:37

We were on holiday at a caravan park and our sons had been playing with other kids on the site. I asked DS1 who his new friend was. 'Oh', he said, 'do you mean the spotted boy, that's Ears'.

Turned out the lad was called Ian and had freckles....

Grandmabeach Thu 11-Jul-19 10:38:24

We recently had a holiday with all our family. The 5 year old decided to have a competition for the best drawing but only herself and Grandpa knew about it. She decided that Grandpa's was the best. Later that day she produced a winner's certificate. She then went up to Grandpa and whispered in his ear telling me it was a secret. When I asked later what she had said DH replied that she had asked him to leave it on his bed for her when he dies as she was the runner-up! He is only 72. Hopefully it will be many years before we have to find it!

Belleringer Thu 11-Jul-19 10:41:43

When my daughter was small she had long hair and when I washed it I would wrap a towel round in a 'turban'. One bathtime she said 'I don't mind having my hair washed Mummy, but please don't put a turnip on my head'

Mcrc Thu 11-Jul-19 10:44:15

I was in my swimsuit and talking about my tummy being too"fluffy". My grandaughter who is six was sitting with me at our bonfire and said, "Grandma, you have more fluffy spots on your arms!" Gotta love their honesty!

Marieeliz Thu 11-Jul-19 10:46:24

When we were small we were taken to my Uncle and Aunts for tea. It was shortly after the war and we were given half a tinned peach with evaporated milk in a dish. My brother said Auntie I don't like raw eggs! He was six years younger than me he died in 2010 I miss him every day.

mamaa Thu 11-Jul-19 10:47:49

My Grand-daughter attends a church school and during the Easter break was playing in our garden. She scratched her finger on something in the garden so I washed it and applied some antiseptic cream. She went back into the garden and Grandad asked if everything was alright now- ' oh yes,' she replied 'its all better now, Grandma put some Salvation cream on it'. She was referring to the Savlon cream I'd used! smile

Marguerita Thu 11-Jul-19 10:49:22

I said to my 4yr old DG, "Would you pass that book to me please pet.......?." She replied - 'We're not pets grandma, we're darlings'. Fair enoughsmile.

midgey Thu 11-Jul-19 10:58:32

Jaylucy, you are lucky to have crinkles, apparently my face is cracked!

NaughtyNanna Thu 11-Jul-19 11:02:31

Yes, midgey, apparently my face is cracked too. My older GS, when about 4 told DD he would like toast for breakfast....but not cooked!

Mollygo Thu 11-Jul-19 11:03:49

My DD always called her duvet as bedclo when she was little. It stuck when she was older because she said, bedclothes was wrong as she only had one duvet.

Marg123 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:05:09

I had a pregnant friend. On the rush hour bus on the way to nursery my daughter call down the bus to me “how’s the baby going to get out of Mary’s tummy mummy. The other passengers went very quiet then a voice said “go on answer that” sniggers all round then silence. My answer - I’ll tell you when we get home. Coward came another voice.

We all laughed, it cheered the journey up no end.

Yaya79 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:09:43

Nanny why have you got fur growing up your nose ? Oh dear!

Willow500 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:14:51

When my eldest son was about 7 or 8 he was getting excited about Christmas and decided to write a list of what he was going to have for his Christmas dinner. I wish I'd kept it but can remember the first item was 7 cuttings of'chicky' and it finished with 'one of everything else there is'! We still tease him about it now - he's 47!

My DIL had been giving my 5 year old GS ham sandwiches for his lunch for several days as he wouldn't eat anything else. A couple of weeks ago she told him he didn't need any that day as he would be coming home at lunch time. He said thank goodness I don't have to eat any more of that damned ham!! grin

missdeke Thu 11-Jul-19 11:18:31

I was practising for our village music hall show, all the usual songs including Waiting at the church. At a special family church service my husband told us to wait in the porch whilst he got the car as it was raining, my daughter looked at me with wide eyes and asked 'Is this the lurch mummy?'

Whilst on a ferry to Sweden my middle daughter then aged 2 looked at the vapour trails left by a plane in the sky and shouted excitedly 'sky pencil' Still known as sky pencils in our family.

Grammaretto Thu 11-Jul-19 11:21:34

My friend's children were clamouring for her to buy them treats at the supermarket. She told her 6yr old that he could have the sweetie bar if he could read the ingredients - out loud.
He got down to carnauba wax and his sister said ergh that's car wax!
I love carwax said the boy!

Coconut Thu 11-Jul-19 11:24:29

8year old grandson : “mummy made us go in the ladies changing room at the pool today as Daddy was working away. We saw 2 bums, 4 lots of boobs but at least we didn’t see any vagina’s “ ?

Apricity Thu 11-Jul-19 11:26:58

Long, long ago I said to my daughter, then aged about 3, that I was just going to 'dive into the toilet'. It took me a few moments to understand the look of horror on her face as she wondered what on earth I was about to do!

Coconut Thu 11-Jul-19 11:28:12

Son no:1 was very put out at the arrival of son no:2. I explained that we’d had another baby so he’d have someone to play with “I’m not playing with him, he’s not even a proper person” ?

Patticake123 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:29:59

I’ve written this one before but it still makes me chuckle. Having complimented my SiL on a delicious meal my 5 year old granddaughter exclaimed ‘yes nanny , my daddy is a good cooker, he’s a better cooker than you’. Love it!

Swanny Thu 11-Jul-19 11:41:27

Deni1963 we call them 'mimits' too, thanks to DGS. He also combined a hug with a cuddle so we now have 'huggles'. Don't you just love them grin

GrannyLaine Thu 11-Jul-19 11:49:32

My one and a bit year old son listening to his Daddy shaving in the bathroom exclaimed "Face hoover!"

Rosina Thu 11-Jul-19 11:50:31

Listening to some pop music one day my serious little DS asked me 'Did they have music like this when you were alive?'
Most of these have made me laugh out loud - thank you everyone!

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 11:58:32

I’m giggling away here! Wonderful stuff.
??