Gransnet forums

Chat

Things children say [smile]

(138 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 11-Jul-19 04:04:04

Reminiscing with a friend.
She sent her son (7) outside to watch Dad mending the car. When he came in Mum asked, 'Did Dad say what was wrong with it?'
'Yes,' said, the wee boy, 'some cake was stuck in there.'
Puzzled, she questioned her DH later. The boy had asked if the problem was serious and Dad had answered, 'No, son, it's a piece of cake.'

One of my sons, when he needed the lavatory would say, descriptively, 'My bottom's heavy.'

What's your offspring's droll or funny saying?

Bordersgirl57 Thu 11-Jul-19 07:12:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bordersgirl57 Thu 11-Jul-19 07:28:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NannyJan53 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:09:23

When my now 8 year old DGD was 5, she asked her Mum what were the 5 senses.

DD listed them, sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch.

DGD then asks, "what about sense of humour"? grin

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 09:48:15

During a particularly noisy thunderstorm, toddler son came into our bedroom and complained: 'Man with big drum waked me up!'

Jillyblom59 Thu 11-Jul-19 09:58:44

My daughter asked me if she could have an “ upstairs downstairs cozimashoom”....... she meant a bikini!
We still call them that to this day. ?

coast35 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:00:41

My grandson just newly 9 said to me last week “Granny back in the olden days when I was at nursery.”
I suppose it does seem a long time ago to him!

Blinko Thu 11-Jul-19 10:00:57

I asked my toddler DS1 what sort of eggs he wanted for breakfast. He thought for a moment or two then asked for splattered egg. Another time, he wanted knock-knock egg.

Splattered is of course, fried egg and knock-knock egg is boiled, when you tap the shell to break it before peeling.

Very inventive, I thought at the time.

Grannybags Thu 11-Jul-19 10:01:55

I have a letter which I wrote to my Dad when I was about 6 which said "Mammy is cranling on the flourbouts"

Never did find out what she was doing!

Cranling is still a word used by the family!

Theoddbird Thu 11-Jul-19 10:02:16

Not a funny comment....just strange coming from a two year old. Son said...of course when you die you come back as another baby...

hereshoping Thu 11-Jul-19 10:07:37

Years ago, I was rather pleased with the results of my dieting and keep fit regime and was trying on a new swimsuit. My DD then about 7 said "You look lovely Mummy, just like Ma Larkin" .

jaylucy Thu 11-Jul-19 10:07:57

My son had us puzzled for ages with his school dinner that was orange footprints , we eventually found out was ravioli!
I was also told that he said he liked the Scotch but not the egg!!
GD asked her pappy why his face had "crinkles" - same GD claimed that"I'm not a spotty person" when choosing a new dress - one of which had polka dots!

Laurensnan Thu 11-Jul-19 10:09:08

My grandson ordered fish and chips for his meal when we were out. When they brought it he tucked in and ate all the chips. Then he left the rest. "what about the rest? Why did you order it if you don't want it?". He said "I do want fish and chips, it's my favourite .... but without the fish" ?

annifrance Thu 11-Jul-19 10:11:26

When my DD and DS iL were extending their cottage my 2yr old DGS called it the brown house.

annifrance Thu 11-Jul-19 10:12:02

Edit! the broken house!

Laurensnan Thu 11-Jul-19 10:12:47

My son at 3 called the hoover a hoomer. He's now 34 with his own kids and is an intelligent man......yet he still calls it a hoomer ?

Diggingdoris Thu 11-Jul-19 10:13:48

My friend's daughter came home from first day at school saying she didn't want to go again as they use plastic toilet paper! That was in the days of that Izal scratchy stuff!

paddyann Thu 11-Jul-19 10:14:00

my friends son wouldn't eat his burger at a nice local restuarant...because it was upside down? The waiter took it back to the kitchen where the chef apparently turned it the right way up for him..and he ate it

Nona4ever Thu 11-Jul-19 10:14:25

A friend was getting dressed and her 4 year old helpfully passed over her bra.
‘Here’s your boobie-pants, mummy.’

UnclaspedBrinks Thu 11-Jul-19 10:15:44

I was once out for a walk with my then 3-yr old Son. He was walking by my side. An older gentleman was walking toward us.

My son points in the direction of the man walking towards us and starts shouting, "PERVERT!", "PERVERT!" shock.

At this point the gentleman was a little out of earshot (what with the noise of the passing traffic) and I start asking my son what he means (he can't possibly have had any understanding of the word etc) and ultimately trying to subtly get him to be quieter. He continues, more excitedly and even louder, "PERVERT!", "PERVERT!", "PERVERT!" and thrusting his arm with each shout, pointing in the direction of the man walking towards us.

The man is now in earshot, he's heard what my son is shouting, he looks shocked and as though he's about to protest his innocence, we make eye contact, I pick my son up and just as I do, I notice there's a large black crow perched on a wall a little further behind the man who's now pretty much next to us and I realise this (the bird) is what my son had had been pointing at and it occurs to me what he thought he'd been saying... I respond (LOUDLY) "Oh! you mean a PARROT [son's name], you think that bird is a PARROT?" and my son replies, "YES! A PARROT! A PARROT!"

I laugh (loudly), shoot the man an apologetic look and quickly walk on past him, highly embarrassed, cringing, though admittedly chuckling to myself.

I do hope that man got over it grin

henetha Thu 11-Jul-19 10:17:28

My son, a bird lover, tried to teach his children the names of birds in the garden. On day a Wood Pigeon was walking about outside and he asked his younger daughter, aged three then, "What's the name of that bird?".
A look of desperation crossed her face and she eventually said "Trevor".
All Wood Pigeons are now known to us as Trevor.

GinJeannie Thu 11-Jul-19 10:17:30

Apparently, after a holiday in our caravan in Malvern, DGD asked her Mum, our DD, if they could have the caravan when Nan and Grandad die!

helenmabr Thu 11-Jul-19 10:19:48

My four year old at Christmas asked “Gran why have you got that shiny wool on your wall? Meaning tinsel! And another time “Gran can we play picking flowers .com” .....only a child of today!

Mouse Thu 11-Jul-19 10:23:14

My youngest daughter went on a nature trip with her nursery school. When she came home she was very excited because she had seen a pancake tree! Took us ages to figure out what she meant. Pancake =oatcake, oatcake=oak. She’d seen an oak tree

Deni1963 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:23:58

My then 2 year old grandaughter quotes
In a mimit Nana. .....
Meaning minute. We now use mimit instead ?