Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this a good thing?

(66 Posts)
kittylester Thu 11-Jul-19 08:04:05

On our local tv news this morning, there was an item about a plastics free shop in Leicester.

The proprietor was really pleased that people were coming to use the shop, not just from Leicester and its environs, but also from much further afield.

Is this a good thing?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:06:10

Of course

mosaicwarts Thu 11-Jul-19 08:07:41

I think it's great news. I have noticed less plastic on my beach walks this week, I litter pick every time I go.

We used to have a farm shop in Alnwick years ago where people could 'scoop' their goods. Unfortunately it wasn't in a good position and closed down.

I buy a lot of bird seed from my local hardware shop and have asked if they'll put it into my container, rather than me taking it in a plastic bag. Looked at me as though I was odd as I was the first person to ask, but they did agree.

BlueBelle Thu 11-Jul-19 08:08:02

No question of that

Iam64 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:09:50

I suppose kittylester is questioning the environmental cost of people travelling a distance to use the plastics free shop. The good news in our area, is that the response of a supermarket chain to a similar plastic free shop setting up, has been to offer the same service. You arrive with paper bags/tupperware boxes (yes I know, plastic) and they'll weigh items for you. Currently, its fruit and veg but the plan is to extend to other key items.
Small steps

ninathenana Thu 11-Jul-19 08:17:21

I took kitty's comment to mean the fuel/emissions etc. from people travelling from outside the area rather than the plastic free shop, which I agree can only be a good thing. I could well be wrong though.

kittylester Thu 11-Jul-19 08:32:57

That was my point really! Which is worse. Using plastics or driving to avoid it?

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 08:37:51

You could always cycle (?) grin

stella1949 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:43:30

Sure, I'll hop into my big gas-guzzling car and drive 100 miles to visit that no-plastic shop.

wildswan16 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:57:23

There are more and more of these shops opening up. Yes, people will travel to visit them, but in the long run this trend will encourage more shops to open in different areas- leading to less travelling.

lemongrove Thu 11-Jul-19 09:05:18

There are rumours of one of these shops starting up in our village, but it will be competing with the other shops, so unsure of how successful it will be.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 09:12:34

I think slowly our awareness is kicking in. Balloons at parties will soon be frowned upon. Plastic shower gel containers /hand soaps (as in the bathroom at the hotel we stayed in last week) will be used guiltily.

But will people drive less/fly less/breed less?

I don’t think so.

M0nica Thu 11-Jul-19 09:43:08

I think some of the anti-plastic movement is getting out of hand. Plastics became so ubiquitous because many of their uses have improved and made life better for us.

In the garden, plastic hoses rather than rubber, plastic watering cans, which last for decades rather than metal, Plastic bowls and sinks and worktops, fridge interiors, storage containers, disposable gloves in medical uses to protect against infection.

Yes, single use plastics are a curse on earth and have made us lazy and slovenly, one use bottles, shopping bags, take-away food containers.

But do not throw the baby away with the bath water.

Blinko Thu 11-Jul-19 09:44:55

For West Midlanders, there's no plastics shop in the Custard Factory, Digbeth,

Callistemon Thu 11-Jul-19 09:58:17

lemongrove - you have shops in your village? shock
Lucky you!

GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:31:49

What does the shop sell?
Is the shop itself free from plastic in the building and fitments or is it touting it's plastic-free credentials re the wrapping on goods?

GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:33:00

Digbeth is a dreadful place if the coach station is anything to go by.

gillybob Thu 11-Jul-19 11:48:15

I think Urmstongran makes a really good point up thread.

It has to be the whole package really doesn't it? No point in banning balloons, frowning at soap dispensers and then flying around the world is there? Incidentally modern cruise ships run on giant diesel engines and are extremely high pollutants too (not to mention what they dump in the sea).

SueDonim Thu 11-Jul-19 12:52:42

I suppose the people from further afield may have been in the area anyway e.g. people who work in Leicester but live elsewhere or who are visiting family and so on.

We don't have a Waitrose nearby and I don't travel over 100+ miles specifically to go to one. Howver, if I'm visiting my son in London I make sure I do find time to have a quick look in his nearby Waitrose and get some goodies to bring home!

quizqueen Thu 11-Jul-19 13:07:56

Plastics are definitely causing pollution on the planet, or should I say that the humans disposing of these items incorrectly are doing that. However, using paper packaging instead, just means cutting down more trees which is also bad.

Everything we use should be recycled/composted now and made into something else which is useful and everyone should be made to do it with severe penalties if they don't- both domestic and business users.

BBbevan Thu 11-Jul-19 13:28:33

Shown on television the other day, a factory that makes paper drinking straws. They were packing then in clear plastic bags.
For myself I am trying to go plastic free at one. Bathrooms have been easy. Soap bars for hair and shower. Bamboo toothbrushes and knitted cotton wash cloths. Must turn my attention to toothpaste next.
We live in SWWales so no sign of anything like a plastic free shop.

Callistemon Thu 11-Jul-19 13:32:58

I must say that smaller shops seem to making more effort than supermarkets - there is a village shop a few miles away from me where they do eco refillable cleaning products. However, I would have to drive there.

Waitrose is an even further drive away.

Is the shop itself free from plastic in the building and fitments or is it touting it's plastic-free credentials re the wrapping on goods?
I think it is single use plastic that is causing the most problems as it is either not disposed of correctly in many instances or it cannot be recycled.

I have some plastic containers which I am still using after about 50 years (Tupperware).

lemongrove Thu 11-Jul-19 13:37:44

Yes Callistomen.... we have shops! ? Lovely to be able to stroll to one, as our last house ( in a hamlet) had nothing at all.

lemongrove Thu 11-Jul-19 13:38:33

I agree, plastic is very useful but not the single use plastic.

M0nica Thu 11-Jul-19 15:15:19

I bought a foldaway little handbag shopping bag today. The fabric it is made of, has been manufactured from plastic bottles. Today's purchase has recycled 4 of them