Gransnet forums

Chat

Another Scam

(42 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 11-Jul-19 21:21:03

I don't get scam calls as I have no landline handset. Unlimited minutes from Plusnet on my mobile means I have no need of a landline phone.

M0nica Thu 11-Jul-19 20:29:23

I have had the tax rebate emails and I haven't spoken or communicated with the tax office for years.

M0nica Thu 11-Jul-19 20:26:35

The problemis that TPS only applies to calls starting in the UK. We keep getting calls from international phone numbers.

Our usual process as soon as the international sign flags up international on the screen, is to answer the phone and immediately ring off. Otherwise it goes through to the answerphone and they know it is a 'good' number.

Nonnie Thu 11-Jul-19 16:52:19

We get the telecom ones all the time and they are often recorded messages. I would like to know how they know who our provider is though. We block each one but they simply use another number.

Hooty we haven't had any from 'our bank' but I have heard a lot about these calls. I don't understand how they can know that Mrs X has £xxxK in a specific bank so they can scam her. It can't be random because there are too many banks and too many of us who don't keep large sums in their bank. They must get the info from someone working at the bank surely?

NanKate Thu 11-Jul-19 16:42:38

I’m at my son’s and he got exactly the same call as you Beckett 6 times yesterday ?

Jane10 Thu 11-Jul-19 16:24:27

The telephone preference service is pretty useless. Overseas companies don't pay any attention to it.

grannysyb Thu 11-Jul-19 16:22:15

I am a member of the telephone preference service, signed up a long time ago, and we started getting rubbish calls. I went back to their website and tried to sign up again, it said I was already a member. The unwanted calls have now stopped, I think they needed a nudge!

MiniMoon Thu 11-Jul-19 16:21:26

All the computer generated calls about broadband being terminated have a different number each time. I had 6 in one day recently, and all from different numbers. I blocked them all.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jul-19 14:45:07

Would you believe I've had 3 more calls since the last one ? 7 calls so far ! B'stards.

I can't use a blocking system because I've got an emergency system linked up to the phone which is important to me.

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 14:18:48

Ellanvanin, your call sounds like mine but the number of the recorded message was 01879896644.

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 14:16:56

Although I am TPS registered and rarely receive unsolicited calls, I had a recorded message today purporting to come from Telecom, about my internet connection. I don't have a Telecom connection. My service provider is Virgin.
So I am assuming it was a scam call. I have tried to enter the calling number on the site you mention, Niobe, but it was not recognised.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 11-Jul-19 13:23:50

I’ve had two emails recently from HMRC saying I have a tax refund due, and to click on the link to claim it. Both scams and both reported. Funnily enough though both came shortly after I had actually phoned HMRC about tax. Makes me wonder ....... or am I being cynical?

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:18:24

My phone blocks calls like these so I lead a stress-free life.

Niobe Thu 11-Jul-19 13:15:54

If I get a suspicious call I go onto a website called 'Who called me' . If you enter the callers number it gives you info as to whether the call is a scam or not. You can leave your thoughts for others too. Then I block that number from my phone.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jul-19 12:54:41

Another just now----01234724133

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jul-19 12:51:08

I've had 4 scam calls this morning where nobody has spoken, but yesterday it was about shutting down my broadband.
The number is : 01265278820. Last call 12 noon today.

Beckett Thu 11-Jul-19 12:45:14

Just received a phone call with a recorded message claiming to be from the credit card section of my bank and stating a transfer of £600 had been made from my card in the last 15 minutes to a foreign bank. I guessed this was a scam as it was a recorded message and they didn't refer to me by name, so I hung up. Just a heads up to other GNs