Gransnet forums

Chat

Going somewhere nice?

(93 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:37:16

It really annoys me, when I tell someone I am about to go on holiday and they ask “ going anywhere nice?”
Of course I hope where I am going will be “ nice”!
I usually answer “ I hope so”, and get a mystified look.
Any other good answers?
I suspect they are being a bit snobbish and think certain places are “ nicer” than others.
I suppose it is less blunt than asking outright, Where are you going?

sharon103 Sun 14-Jul-19 18:04:38

Only a one-way ticket for that one Rufus. smile

4allweknow Sun 14-Jul-19 17:30:41

I occasionally ask if a person is going somewhere exotic. If they say no only eg Majorca I say well that is exotic compared to here! Not always a snobby enquiry I feel.

Marydoll Sun 14-Jul-19 17:28:40

On a more sombre note, my sister in law was buying new underwear today to dress my brother in law before he was buried, as she wanted him to look "nice". The assistant asked her if she was going on holiday to somewhere nice! She replied, "No!", rather sharply.
The poor assistant didn't understand why my sister in law was upset.

Pix5 Sun 14-Jul-19 17:11:28

A holiday is a holiday no matter where. I've been to a lot of places and wherever I go, I get just as excited whether Bognor, or Barbados, been to both.

chrissie13 Sun 14-Jul-19 16:49:17

I would take it to mean are you going somewhere nice that you've chosen to go, or are you just going to visit relatives perhaps which may be somewhere not that nice!

knickas63 Sun 14-Jul-19 16:17:31

I afraid I am guilty of using this phrase. No snobbishness or agendas behind it. Just a phrase, usually followed by how lovely! Enjoy yourself!

Beammeupscottie Sun 14-Jul-19 15:38:54

Oh my God, Petra. All that money and effort! These sites of antiquity are much better seen on tv. However, in Egypt I was offered some dirty postcards by a hawker - by dirty he meant covered in sand. He also told me I STILL had a fine body. You can find humour in all Countres ,which make my hols. and not the tourist stuff which is better on screen.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Jul-19 15:26:09

Asking "are you going anywhere nice?" was a standard way of showing interest when I was a child in the Glasgow area, so I suspect it may be the phrase is restricted to certain parts of the country and people from other parts find it strange.

We always answered the query be saying where we were going, and nobody found the question odd.

What they would have found odd, perhaps even rude, was if we hadn't told them " where we were off to".

petra Sun 14-Jul-19 15:20:13

Beammeupscottie
I know exactly what you mean. I saw more of the Terraccota Army on television than I did at the site in China.
Being 5' I was forever on tip toe trying to look through the crowds.

VIOLETTE Sun 14-Jul-19 14:39:37

I just say NO ha ha ...that puzzles everybody !

LightAmber Sun 14-Jul-19 14:32:30

I've not had a holiday in 7 years but am ridiculously excited about going to my home town to see my daughter tomorrow grin haven't seen her since Christmas what with one thing and another!

Norah Sun 14-Jul-19 14:17:42

"Somewhere with perfect weather, I hope. Do you have recommendations?

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 13:58:02

A bit out of place Rufus ? confused

Minniemoo Sun 14-Jul-19 13:55:49

Glad that you wouldn't be offended gillybob. And I'm glad you have a great hairdresser. Very important! Thinking about it the 'anywhere nice' comment is a bit of a throwaway remark. I think people say things without thinking. Just a conversation starter I suppose. What I dislike, yet am guilty of saying it many times is, ' to be honest' ... as if sometimes I'll be lying!

Rufus2 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:55:32

www.thesenior.com.au/story/6268165/funerals-the-times-are-a-changing/
Thought someone might be interested, but don't forget to add on airfare! grin

Callistemon Sun 14-Jul-19 13:50:58

Beammeupscottie grin
It wasn't funny, but the way you put it is hilarious!

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 13:50:08

Victormeldrew1 confused
Was this meant for another thread?

Callistemon Sun 14-Jul-19 13:49:20

My hairdresser is always going off somewhere nice - in fact I can never get an appointment with him.
Does that mean he charges too much? hmm

Beammeupscottie Sun 14-Jul-19 13:48:12

Nowhere is as nice as they imagine. We have been robbed in Barcelona; been robbed in Delhi; been sick in Katmandu and Nepal; lost in New York; ill in Kenya and verbally abused in Bali - I could go on. So when the hairdresser asks me now I say "Dorset" and thank God.

Googes41 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:42:52

Annoying sayings?
Well it is what it is.
Seems to used for all eventualities.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 13:31:53

Good for you gillybob-----it's known as down to earth. Fabulous when you feel at ease.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:26:39

Instead of saying "I'm off on holiday next week" only to get uppity with their response question, next time just spit it out and say "I'm off to Bognor next week", so then that way they won't ask you your annoying question.

Victormeldrew1 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:08:06

Cabbie21 it happened to me a few weeks ago I was devestated I had pictures of my children and a memory card with videos of them as a baby I stupidly thought it would be safe in my purse how wrong was I still makes me cry now thinking about it

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 13:01:34

It doesn’t cause offence or upset at all MinnieMoo I just feel silly answering “no, I’m not” it’s a bit of a conversation killer . I’ve recently changed hairdressers to one of those back street, old ladies in curlers type of place and I love it . No need to pretend to be something I’m not and no bragging about exotic holidays / house prices etc that you get in some of the “salons” . The 2 ladies who own the salon are hilarious. No airs and graces, no dressing up no frills . Suits me just fine .

Minniemoo Sun 14-Jul-19 12:53:34

Crikey, I say that all the time. Never would have dreamt it would have caused offence or upset.