Gransnet forums

Chat

Going somewhere nice?

(92 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:37:16

It really annoys me, when I tell someone I am about to go on holiday and they ask “ going anywhere nice?”
Of course I hope where I am going will be “ nice”!
I usually answer “ I hope so”, and get a mystified look.
Any other good answers?
I suspect they are being a bit snobbish and think certain places are “ nicer” than others.
I suppose it is less blunt than asking outright, Where are you going?

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 14:27:03

I usually say yes, there and back to see how far it is if anyone asks where I'm going.
Some people are snobby about their holidays though and my thoughts are that they seem to be the be all and end all of someone's conversation as though it's a given right.

It never dawned on me years ago to broadcast where I was going because not a lot of folk went anywhere other than Bognor so why would I chip in with some exotic foreign location ? Other than to appear snobbish. Never ! It's mean

KatyK Sat 13-Jul-19 18:00:52

I always feel like saying 'No. We thought we'd go somewhere horrible for a change'

crazyH Sat 13-Jul-19 18:04:59

The 'weather' and 'holidays' - main topics of conversation ........I was warned, before I came here and made this country my home ....now, I do the same ?

NanaandGrampy Sat 13-Jul-19 18:57:52

Do you really think it’s ‘snobbish’ Cabbie ?

I usually ask the same thing to be honest , for instance if I’m talking to my hairdresser? I never considered it might be perceived as snobbish .

Seems a nice way to ask without assuming Bognor or Peru and getting the wrong end of the scale .

Guess I’m snobbish then ?

JenniferEccles Sat 13-Jul-19 19:36:36

Well I certainly wouldn't interpret the question as being snobbish. What a strange thought. It's just a way of showing an interest surely?

I have been asked that question on many occasions, and am only too happy to say what sort of holiday we are having and where we are going. In some cases the person enquiring has had some very good tips and suggestions on what to do there.

Before we went on our first Caribbean cruise some years ago for instance, I had been given lots of tips on what to do in the various islands the ship was calling into, and we benefitted from some very helpful suggestions.

Lessismore Sat 13-Jul-19 19:47:18

Whoop de Doo

Cabbie21 Sat 13-Jul-19 20:17:15

I suppose it is just a way of enquiring, but to me it sounds odd. Why else would I be going there if I didn’t expect it to be nice?
As we don’t go abroad these days, most people are fine when I reply, Wales or Devon, Scotland etc, but there are one or two people who look down their noses if the answer is not The Maldives or St Lucia.

Ellianne Sat 13-Jul-19 20:35:57

I wonder if they mean "somewhere nice" in terms of weather, or scenery or culture? I think it really depends on your own preferences for a holiday.

sodapop Sun 14-Jul-19 08:33:35

I think its just a manner of speech as often employed by hairdressers to instigate a conversation. There is some snobbery attached to holiday destinations no doubt about it. I was at a party recently where a couple droned on about their exotic holiday and all the expensive champagne etc they were given. I did feel like saying I would be having a pint and chips on Wigan pier but refrained.

Riverwalk Sun 14-Jul-19 08:38:33

It's a bit unreasonable of you to announce you're going on holiday and then take umbrage at 'somewhere nice?'

Surely it's all chit-chat and the responder is just being polite - in answer to your major announcement.

Cabbie21 Sun 14-Jul-19 08:41:36

“Nice” for me = not too hot, interesting places to visit and explore, within my comfort zone and limitations of age and fitness.
I have no interest in lying by a pool in the sun, or skiing in the Alps, let alone trekking through the jungle.
Give me a stately home to visit, pleasant scenery, a country pub.......

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 09:21:06

I hate it when hairdressers etc. Ask “where you going on your holidays?” Because my answer is almost always “nowhere” . Quite depressing really.

Calendargirl Sun 14-Jul-19 09:26:57

Instead of saying “Nowhere”, just say “Well, I’ve nothing booked at the minute”. Leaves a sort of in the air answer.

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 09:29:28

I’m sure that would lead to “where do you fancy?” etc.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 09:31:14

This is just it gillybob, why should people appear to be taken aback when you deliver such an answer ?

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Jul-19 09:36:52

I am quite happy to stay at home and tell people that if they ask.

harrigran Sun 14-Jul-19 09:41:25

I assume people ask out of interest and because some may travel to areas they have not thought of.
My sister would never say where she was going, preferring to send a postcard from some exotic location. We think she kept quiet until the actual event in case any of us went before her. She was deluded because I had no interest in the places she visited.

henetha Sun 14-Jul-19 09:44:37

I think it's just one of those things that people say, like
"Are you wet?" when you come in out of the rain.
We all use these colloquialisms from time to time, don't we?

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 09:52:19

I admit to feeling a bit embarrassed when asked about holidays as I think people must think “ oh god what a boring person you must be if you don’t go on holiday” when I really want to scream “ do you think I don’t want to go away ?” As I always say to DH (it annoys him) maybe in my next life I will travel . Wish it could have been in this one though . Sigh....

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 09:53:14

And now to add insult to injury I’m getting pop up ads for holidays ! Grrrrrr

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 09:56:34

You shouldn't be made to feel like that gillybob. They probably wouldn't ask if they hadn't been away themselves smile

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 10:00:13

I do feel though that today there seems to be more " one-upmanship " than there was years ago from the classless society we once were when everyone was in the same boat.

KatyK Sun 14-Jul-19 10:02:04

Well we have been to many, many places but one of the most memorable holidays we had was when we took two weeks off work and stayed at home. We went out most days. Nowhere fancy or expensive. We went for fish and chips or got the bus or train to a different town, went to different shops etc. It was lovey.

midgey Sun 14-Jul-19 10:02:09

I always say little place I know in Staffordshire, that makes them think! Obviously I’m not going anywheregrin