Gransnet forums

Chat

I know it’s not the end of the world but ....

(109 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 13-Jul-19 15:46:59

When I got back from food shopping today I unpacked my bags put everything away had a bite to eat then went to get something out my purse and it’s not anywhere I have hunted high and lo even looking in the fridge and food cupboards in case I d absentmindedly put it there asi unpacked. Nothing.. I rang the store I only went to the one, nothing handed in I ve cancelled my cards so until Monday I don’t have a penny in the house doesn't that feel bad (no one had tried to use the card) I m really sad as my railcard was in my purse and I ve got some travelling to do next week when two grandkids arrive
I keep going over and over my kitchen and shopping bags as I felt convinced I d zipped it in my bag when I finished shopping of course I took £50 cashback when I paid for my goods, sods law isn’t it
I know it’s not the end of the world but I feel tearful ?

Franbern Mon 15-Jul-19 09:12:40

Nearly 40 years ago, I had my purse stolen. One of my daughters had found a small lump in her throat. Emergency visit to GP and then had to go to local hospital to make appointment for her to have biopsy. Left kids in car and rushed into reception, just holding my purse in my hand. Put this down whilst I filled in a form, and - as I was still in a bit of state with worry - rushed back to kids and car without picking it back up. By the time I realised, and went back into reception the purse was gone. No cards those days, but it had fifty quid in it, which was my weeks shopping money. We were on benefits and this was all the money I had. My lovely parents gave me £50!!
Ever since then I have been almost paranoid about checking that I have my purse safe, checked as i leave the house, checked as I leave the car, checked as i go into a shop and checked as I leave that shop etc.etc.
At one time I used to keep all my cards in a separate container, but found that this meant that I had TWO things to check and worry about - so gave that up.
I keep my main credit card in my phone case and these days that is all I take with me to supermarket. Also keep a very small amount of paper cash in there, so I can use this in an emergency.
So please that Bluebelle found her purse, it really is a gut wrenching feeling when something like this goes missing. Happy ending - but do wish people would read through the whole thread before writing their (outdated) comments
PS:Just to say my daughter was fine, had lump removed in hospital but it was totally benign.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Jul-19 08:18:18

Wow gmarie that’s some story
I think I felt it a bit more edgy because less than 6 months ago I had my purse stolen I was at the charity shop and didn’t know until I went to my locker at lunch time and found no purse Thankfully it wasn’t staff as I realised what happened soon after
The manager was away and I had the code for the office door in my purse someone needed something from the office I got my purse to find the number must have laid the purse on my work counter just between the office and shop floor it is a private area but not closed off. I must have had my attention diverted and never thought any more about my purse till going home time In the meantime they had used my card for a KFC dinner and again at a convenience store 30 miles away The bank refunded both those but obviously I never saw the purse again
I bet lots of people have stories of losing purses and bags and wallets for men

BradfordLass72 Mon 15-Jul-19 07:12:06

grin gringringringringringringrin
Yay!!

gmarie Mon 15-Jul-19 03:48:24

So glad you found it!!!

Once when I was a frazzled, tired young mom, I was shopping in a large discount store with my family and we were pushing two two carts. At some point, we didn't need both and I moved my toddler son to the other cart, leaving my billfold behind.

I was frantic because we were rushing and my stepson had to get to football practice. Luckily, a very nice person turned the billfold in. We left and I was much relieved but still in a hurry.

At the car, I put the groceries in the trunk, buckled my son in the car seat and dashed off, not realizing that I'd set that very same billfold on the roof of the car while I buckled him in. :/

That day and the next, I received TWO calls - one from someone who'd found my credit cards strewn in the gutter on the side of the road and another from someone else who'd found my wallet with the cash still in it!!!

What are the chances that THREE people would be so kind and honest? I still think of that day often when I need my faith in humanity renewed! smile

Anja Sun 14-Jul-19 22:48:50

BlueBelle I rarely post these days but I read your story and could feel your panic and worry, and then to see you found it ??

Funny...I don’t know you and you don’t know me and we will never meet but it lifted my spirit when your purse turned up.

Namsnanny Sun 14-Jul-19 22:14:53

I did feel for you Bluebell, the shock of loosing something important does take its toll. I often cry from shock or frustration then!

Equally the relief of finding the purse must have been strong too!

This type of thing is happening to me quite often and I'm sure family think I'm loosing my marbles too.

Recently its been keys. Car keys in particular. We had to get the RAC to replace them after I lost them. I looked for 3 days to no avail and couldn't go without the car for much longer (few buses where we are).
My trouble is I carry lots of things at once in order to put them away (husband isn't of the putting-away-sort!!). So I end up putting or dropping things in unusual places!!
Totally his fault of course! grin

JackyB Sun 14-Jul-19 20:53:28

I've been following the thread and was so pleased when you found it, Blue Belle.

This really would have been a thread where having the OP's posts coloured green (as, apparently, is usual on Mumsnet, and as we have asked for several times already) would have been a Very Useful Feature.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Jul-19 17:25:48

I m thrilled you’re all so caring towards me still but please skim through the thread Lucky it was found 24 hours ago

Yes if it’s a non contact card you just flash it but if like me you refuse to use them you do have to have a number fennel You can only flash up to £30 but I think you can flash in more than one shop for up to £30 or have I got that wrong ? Someone will know

Fennel Sun 14-Jul-19 17:07:01

From another angle - 2 weeks ago I was walking home, eyes fixed on the ground as usual to avoid tripping. There in front of me was a credit card! As a coincidence I vaguely knew the owner, a local lady.
I rang her and she thanked me and sent someone round for it. But she was so laidback about it. She didn't even know she'd lost it.
I thought you had to know the pin number for a credit card, but my daughter told me that for anything under £30 you can just 'flash' it.

LuckyFour Sun 14-Jul-19 16:48:58

What a shame. I hate losing anything, but to lose your purse is the worst thing. Well done to cancel your cards, you did the right thing. Is your address in the purse? The previous post talked about honesty at the supermarket, you never know a lovely gransnetters might have found it. See if it's been handed at either the shop or the police station.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Jul-19 15:19:10

I too have had my purse stolen more than once.

So I have sewn a cloth purse firmly onto a nylon webbing belt and for good measure I put two large safety pins through the belt of the purse and the waistband of the skirt or jeans I am wearing.

I always hope that whoever nicked my money was really desperate for money to feed the children, so having my purse stolen was a contribution to charity.

It doesn't really help, thinking like that, the really annoying thing is having to apply for new visa card, rail card etc. etc.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Jul-19 15:14:43

Oh that’s given me hope Trisher I know my family (and probable everyone else) thinks poor dear she’s losing it but I really didn’t put it there it must have got kicked or pushed by the bags or my foot I hunted for eight hours but never dreamed of looking in the cupboard

Let’s upmarket this thread come on folks what have the pesky pixies or flipping poltergeists done to you
Trisher and me can’t be the only ones?

trisher Sun 14-Jul-19 15:00:23

So pleased you have found it Bluebelle. Please don't think you are the only one things like this happen to. About 9 months ago I lost a small wallet containing my bus pass, debit card and some store reward cards. I was staying the night at my DS and we searched everywhere, including street outside and friend's car. He found it last week under the bed where I sleep but also under a bed frame they were storing there. Bed frame hadn't been moved in over year. I blame the piskies!

polnan Sun 14-Jul-19 14:51:22

wish I could go back and correct typo... where you LOST if Bluebell

polnan Sun 14-Jul-19 14:50:44

well I got a giggle out of reading the posts, not yours where you lots it Bluebell... so pleased to hear how you found it..

I do lots of silly things like that...

Jane10 Sun 14-Jul-19 14:49:44

They sound useful Baloo. I wonder where else they can be bought?
Will Google!

NanKate Sun 14-Jul-19 14:47:55

I am losing many things lately which turn up later. E G. Special scissors to trim hair etc. I was sure DH had borrowed them. I checked a bag yesterday which I take on holiday and there they were. Today I told DH I had lost my To Do List pad which was full of reminders. I searched my desk and was getting progressively rattier and then suddenly I saw it in the middle of the desk inches from my face, what a bloomin numpty I am.

Bluebelle so pleased you have found your purse. I have mine on a chain bought from Amazon which I attach to my bag. Having had my purse and cards stolen a couple of yours back I am not letting it happen again.

Have a lovely time with your grandchildren.

Baloothefitz Sun 14-Jul-19 14:44:57

I know it is no help to you now Bluebelle..but my local Police gave me a chain ,that fastens to the zip on my purse & then inside the pocket in my handbag, meaning I can take it out to pay ,but if I forgot to put it back it would be left dangling,also a deterrent to pickpockets. He also gave me a small bell similar to those on a cat collar ,so I sound like Santa Claus, but joking aside it too is a deterrent to anyone going in my purse.

VIOLETTE Sun 14-Jul-19 14:37:58

As someone suggested ...ask the shop to check their CCTV ...most all shops have them now ! also check with the police station to see if it has been handed in (still some honest people about !) ….good luck I hope you find it !

Annaram1 Sun 14-Jul-19 14:13:21

It happens all the time - grans report something and later say all is well, but hours later people are still reading the original post at the top and don't check all the threads, and weigh in with their good ideas. Of course you can't check all, just look to see what else the original writer has said to update people.

mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:08:42

Oh just read as I sent this post you have found it, so pleased for you. That's great news.

mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:07:53

Have you been stressed over something? When a good friend of mine died very suddenly I couldn't find my credit card and hunted and hunted for it when I came in from a shopping strip just stressing myself out. I 'phoned the bank, supermarket, hunted in the car, etc. Just couldn't believe when I went to the recycling bin a few days later there it was. I looked at it in total astonishment, I had put it in there with the paper receipts from my shopping. Oh did I feel a fool, but I was so distressed and upset over this death I wasn't thinking straight. Can't believe I did that but I did. I also got a parking fine (the first in 45 years of driving) that week, I just wasn't with it at all. I sincerely hope your purse turns up I really do. Don't give up hope just yet. It is worth turning up in person to the bus company offices if they are near to you? Good luck.

Fennel Sun 14-Jul-19 13:06:10

ps Bijou very good advice there.

Fennel Sun 14-Jul-19 13:04:42

I'm so pleased you found it Bluebell!
Many years ago my purse was stolen in a burglary and it was an awful feeling. i still have nightmares about losing my purse.
Ever since then I've used a waist purse.
And I cancelled my debit card because the thief had managed to spend about £2K, but as I'd notified the bank they took the loss.

SueDonim Sun 14-Jul-19 13:04:26

HURRAH!! I'm so glad you found it, Bluebelle. grin It does give one food for thought when things turn up in a totally bizarre place, though.