Gransnet forums

Chat

I don't intend to do ever (again)...

(103 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Wed 17-Jul-19 10:18:52

Following on from the I have never...... thread, how about things that you either have done and never want to do again, or just don't want to do ever?

I don't intend to...

Fly anywhere ever again
Wear makeup again
Go to a bridal shop with a DD to look for a wedding dress (if they want to get married again in future, they can look for their own dresses!)

I never want to...

Have a tattoo
Watch a zombie film

Lilyflower Mon 22-Jul-19 08:57:01

I will never again have to pretend I like holidays. I can't stand the tedium and indignity of travel, especially when being herded through an airport. I find foreign destinations (unless, like Venice, I know my way around) difficult to adjust to and I cannot stand being fleeced and despised by the locals as a tourist. I am always, without exception, ill when I eat non familiar food.

I am not saying I won't ever travel abroad again, but I will not pretend I think it is as brilliant as similarly aged frinds who holiday 5-8 times a year and come back with groans and complaints about the low points of their trips.

Evie64 Fri 19-Jul-19 17:39:38

I will never
remarry or have another partner if my husband dies before me
be told what to wear, eat, spend
go on a long haul flight again
begin a new career

sodapop Fri 19-Jul-19 08:48:15

I'm so sorry this has happened Number12 You must be devastated. The only advice I can give is to take one day at a time, make sure your interests are protected and let family and friends support you. mcem is right, this too will pass although you won't be able to see a way forward straight away. Bon courage.

DanniRae Fri 19-Jul-19 08:43:32

Number12 - sorry to hear about your troubles. Here are some flowers x

mcem Fri 19-Jul-19 08:40:58

12 you probably never will feel so bad again because things can only get better. Ŕead through some relevant threads on GN and you'll find that those of us who have been through it really do find themselves again.
I'm sorry you are currently at this stage but get involved here and you will find support positivity and encouragement. flowers

Number12 Thu 18-Jul-19 22:49:35

Never want to feel so bad again. My husband of 35 years has left me.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jul-19 22:32:50

The young women in the hairdressers I go to asked me if I was intending to grow old disgracefully.
I had to tell them I can't actually be bothered.

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 21:38:56

I agree notanan

It’s liberating to Say, no thanks, I don’t want to, so I’m not going to

eilys Thu 18-Jul-19 21:36:57

Love living on my own, no one to please, eat what I like get up when I like, go to bed when I want pure bliss

notanan2 Thu 18-Jul-19 21:33:13

- let’s not restrict ourselves before then......

Actually, saying "never again" is freeing!

What is restricting is feeling you should do XYZ, being a "yes" person etc.

I do not feel obliged to do these things that I dont enjoy, where is the restriction in that?

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:38:34

Pantglas

That sounds lovely, enjoy

SunnySusie Thu 18-Jul-19 20:36:39

Oh if only I could say I will never fly again. I am not scared, I just utterly loathe every minute. The hassle of getting to the airport, the crowds, the endless waiting around, the travel delays, the daft times you always seem to end up leaving or arriving, being squashed in with all those people, the mind boggling boredom, staring at a minature screen trying to distract yourself from the horribleness, the person in front putting their seat back to the point you can barely move, trying to sleep sitting up, the horrid toilets, the opportunity to get DVT or - more likely - a streaming cold, destroying the planet and negating about a years worth or more of trying to recycle the rubbish - per trip. Paying good money for all of the above. I could go on and on. Unfortunately son lives in the States and so we are stuck with it.
On a more positive note I dont intend to ever work again for money - and I am so so grateful.

Day6 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:33:59

Oh yes Sara - I tried that too! Another sickly drink! (I asked for it in a pub a few years ago when I had a really bad cold and wanted something warming. OH was served a white rum in a half of Guinness! The pub was in the south of England though!)

Pantglas1 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:31:55

Just had this rather profound thought whilst enjoying a second G&T after a lovely day on the beach, that Never Again will happen soon enough when we’re dead - let’s not restrict ourselves before then......

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:22:26

Day6

For me it was rum and black! Can’t bear the smell of it till this day

lincolnimp Thu 18-Jul-19 19:56:27

I will never again wear heels (unless small wedges)
Never go back to Spain
Never have my hair coloured
Never say yes to something just because others pressure me---make me feel if I don't do it no one else will

Day6 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:50:53

Give myself a Pernod hangover. It was beyond grim.confused

(Circa 1973, when I was young and foolish and thought a new cloudy-looking aniseed flavoured drink was a bit like milkshake.)

Grandma70s Thu 18-Jul-19 19:39:54

BlueSapphire, I hate to tell you this, but you almost certainly will go grey or white, even if you haven't already. If you dye your hair to disguise it, it isn’t you, it’s dye. It’s a con!

Daisymae Thu 18-Jul-19 19:27:24

Actually I'm not ruling anything out!

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:59:40

I have had many fabulous foreign holidays, but I’ve always hated flying, when they shut the doors and it starts it’s journey to the runway I feel panic rising

I did it for years for the sake of the children, and I’m glad I did, but when my passport came up for renewal, I decided not to bother, my husband goes to Europe for work several times a year , so he still gets his flying fix

notanan2 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:52:21

Just curious question to those who will never fly again. Is it the actual flying or all that dreadful hassle at the airport?

Both. Plus find it increasingly disgraceful to destroy the world whilst "seeing" it.

SalsaQueen Thu 18-Jul-19 18:31:20

Newatthis Me too, I wear a tinted moisturiser for aqua aerobics, but I also do my eyebrows and wear mascara. It's the full face of make-up normally grin

BlueSapphire Thu 18-Jul-19 17:32:22

Drive again.
Touch a snake.
Go grey/white.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 18-Jul-19 17:29:33

Tweedle24, I agree with Sara65, it's both! It's not yet socially acceptable to say that you think flying without a very good reason is irresponsible when we're in a climate emergency, but it is ok to say that you are scared of flying. I subscribe to both, and as for airports...!

Conni7, you may well have other reasons for not wanting to go abroad than just avoiding flying, but we've been going to European countries by train for years now, and although it takes longer (particularly when you're starting from as far north as we do) it can be good fun and you do see a lot more than from a plane. I can recommend it!

Newatthis Thu 18-Jul-19 17:01:17

never say never is my intention - always up for excitement and fun even if it is dangerous! And make up - I even put it on to go to water aerobics!!