Gransnet forums

Chat

How to shower

(73 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 17-Jul-19 20:18:03

I’m soon getting a shower installed and need some lessons or tips asI have only rarely used a shower and found it awkward and inefficient.
No sneering please!

callgirl1 Wed 17-Jul-19 23:56:26

We had the bathroom changed to a wet room nearly 5 years ago, because I could no longer get in and out of the bath, but I absolutely hate the shower! I agree that the shower doesn`t get me completely wet all over, particularly the "down belowies", and I know that it`s possible to use the shower head by hand, but I struggle to reach it in order to do that. I long to be able to have a bath again, and to feel really clean again.

Bigred18 Thu 18-Jul-19 02:05:05

15 minutes in the shower, shaving legs in the shower? What a waste of water. If you shower every day there is no need to spend ages, perhaps a little bit longer if washing hair. I know people who bathe just once a week and i cant imagine how awful it must be to be in that scummy water.

grannyactivist Thu 18-Jul-19 03:03:42

I remember almost 20 years ago a young Japanese boy came to stay with us and was completely horrified that British people 'lie in their own dirty water and expect to get clean'. He explained that in Japan people have a shower before getting into a bath (apparently bathing is simply for relaxation at the end of the day). I have an en-suite shower room and much prefer showering to bathing (which I only do on holiday when there isn't a shower available).

Liz46 Thu 18-Jul-19 06:17:26

Gabriella and Urmstongran mention Legionnaires' Disease. There is also a micobacterium which causes a sort of non contagious TB. It can affect people who have slightly damaged lungs (bronchiectasis). This micobacterium can be in soil, compost and water. Keep the bathroom well ventilated and soak the shower head in white vinegar to clean it every so often.

I had this problem, which can cause non-malignant nodules in lungs and had to take three different antibiotics every day for 18 months to stop the nodules from becoming worse. I am not cured but feel very much better and I am trying to be careful without being too neurotic! If anyone wants to know more about this, look up NTM on the British Lung Foundation website.

Liz46 Thu 18-Jul-19 06:18:22

Oops mycobacterium before someone corrects me!

Nannytopsy Thu 18-Jul-19 07:04:56

I am using soap now, instead of shower gels but I do find the drain gets much more scummy - yuk! grin

Calendargirl Thu 18-Jul-19 07:05:44

15 minutes does sound an awfully long time to be in the shower. If not washing hair, I spend about 3 or 4 minutes in there, and think I come out quite clean really. I also think it must use a vast amount of hot water.

petra Thu 18-Jul-19 07:35:14

15 minute shower ( single head shower) = 33 gallons of water.
Not only environmentally bad but think of pouring money down the drain ?

Bordersgirl57 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:37:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:51:19

Don't forget the towel, Kitty.
Going off at a tangent - In Brittany once DH left his towel by the tent - I had to go in the men's showers, knock at the door and call out loudly, 'sorry chaps, are you decent?' (in French) Then go in and find out which cubicle he was in and say 'I'll put your towel on the top of this door'. I couldn't let him drip-dry, could I? A bit embarrassing but they all had a good laugh.

Auntieflo Thu 18-Jul-19 07:51:24

Just off to have my shower, and I also use shampoo as a body wash at times.
I think all the possibilities have been covered. If you don’t have a non-slip shower mat to stand on, a face flannel is a very good alternative.

kittylester Thu 18-Jul-19 07:54:37

I dont take the towel in the shower, lovebeigecardigans. grin

BradfordLass72 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:05:27

I probably spend less than 5 mins in the shower. I walk in, do my hair with Olive Oil soap (I have dodgy skin as well as wonky eyes) smile continue on down, as it were and then take the shower head off its holder and rinse every inch. TMI?

Thought so. grin

It takes a full 2 litres of cold water to flow through before my shower runs warm/hot and this is collected in a bucket to put into the washing machine - rinsing water from that goes on the garden or for doing floors and pathways.

Am I an ego-Angel or what? wink

Grandma70s Thu 18-Jul-19 08:11:38

I never lay in dirty water in my bath. I washed all over, then used a hand held showered attachment to rinse. It took ten minutes and got me really clean. A shower takes twenty minutes because it’s so much more awkward. Harder to wash nether regions and feet. Horrible. I hate it.

sodapop Thu 18-Jul-19 08:15:46

Definitely an 'ego-Angel' BradfordLass72 smile

Showers are the way to go, no sitting in dirty water etc. A flexible hose not a fixed shower head and make sure you know which is shampoo and which is conditioner. Five minutes should get you clean all over. You will enjoy it I'm sure Watermeadow good luck.

wildswan16 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:23:01

The only thing I find a little awkward is cleaning the bottom of my feet - standing on one leg in the shower can be a bit precarious. You can get various kinds of shower mats that work a bit like a doormat - rub your feet on it whilst in the shower and gets rid of dead skin etc.

J52 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:42:13

My tip is to open your shampoo/ conditioner bottles before you get wet. Even the flip lids are difficult with wet slippery hands.

ninathenana Thu 18-Jul-19 08:45:58

I have an over bath shower and can't remember the last time I had a bath. DH used to like a soak but even he sticks to showers these days. I'd love a big walk in cubicle but then I wouldn't be able to put my foot on the side of the bath to wash leg/foot smile
My routine :
Run shower to ideal temp.
Wet body
Blob of shower gel on scrunchy thing and wash.
Wet, and wash hair.
Take shower head down and rinse body and whilst doing so give "nether regions" a jet wash grin I don't use shower gel in that area.
Put shower head back and rinse hair.

I cannot think how you can have a shower without getting fully wet or clean.

Fennel Thu 18-Jul-19 09:02:03

My view is the same as Callgirl's I find showering very awkward, but can't get out of the bath now.
Those who wash their hair in the shower - don't you get soapy suds in your eyes when you rinse it?
I wash my hair in the bathroom basin, mixer tap.

MaizieD Thu 18-Jul-19 09:32:11

don't you get soapy suds in your eyes when you rinse it?

I do my hair washing and rinsing with my back to the shower. Tip head back slightly and there's no need for soapy water to go anywhere near eyes. That's why they do you 'backwards' at the hairdressers...

Strikes me, reading this thread, that no-one has mentioned the need to have a decent shower installed. You definitely need one with a good rate of flow in order to get wet all over! So no electric showers; they only mange a halfway decent flow in the summer and a pathetic trickle in the winter. Nothing worse than a winter shower with a warmish trickle on one part of your body and cold air on the rest!

We had power showers (because of bad hot water pressure) before I had a thermal store installed. Now our hot water comes at mains pressure and it's just as good as a power shower. Very wetting...

Lazigirl Thu 18-Jul-19 09:45:48

I have a walk in shower and only use tablet soap, which lasts for ages. We put soda crystals down the plug every few weeks to stop scum build up and I use diluted vinegar and washing up liquid to prevent lime scale on glass door. I am not a fan of overhead "dinner plate" showers and always hold detachable shower head to wash as can reach "bits" better and rinse hair. Takes about 3 - 4 mins, bit longer for hair washing.

Callistemon Thu 18-Jul-19 12:05:16

When we had a new shower fitted I fancied a large square fixed shower head but I'm glad I didn't have one as the large detachable head is more useful for rinsing shampoo and washing 'nether regions and essential when cleaning the shower cubicle.

Auntieflo Thu 18-Jul-19 13:19:01

Wildswan16, for washing the soles of my feet, I squirt a bit of soap onto a netty, puffy, scrubby thing, and hold it with one foot while scrubbing the other backwards and forwards. Repeat with second foot. Works for me.

callgirl1 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:19:55

Auntiflo, similar method for me, but a bit more basic. I rub soap well into a flannel, chuck it on to the floor, then rub my feet back and forth.

Willow500 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:07:16

I bought a battery powered round scrubbing brush to clean the glass doors which works very well. I use Aldi's shower cleaner daily which is cheap. I rinse it off with the hand held head but use the rain shower head to actually get washed. I would use something eco friendly if there is such a thing although I've also got one which is diluted and a reusable bottle to cut down on plastic.

For those of you who only use soap how do you prevent it going scummy and what do you use to condition hair? Mine is long and I have to condition it every time I wash it (every other day) as it's very dry.