Gransnet forums

Chat

How to shower

(73 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 17-Jul-19 20:18:03

I’m soon getting a shower installed and need some lessons or tips asI have only rarely used a shower and found it awkward and inefficient.
No sneering please!

Happiyogi Thu 18-Jul-19 18:09:15

Do you all put your heads forward or back for shampooing? I suspect it 'should' go back to avoid suds on face, but I don't feel it's easy to thoroughly lather the scalp and roots that way as the weight of hair and water keep it very flat to my head and it's hard for fingers to get through it.

Back permitting, I actually prefer to hang (clothed!) over the edge of the bath with gravity freeing my hair to fall downwards, and hand hold the shower head for wetting and rinsing. Bit of a palaver but feels cleaner.

Minniemoo Thu 18-Jul-19 18:13:16

Well I've just read all these shower messages and am now heading upstairs to relax in my bath. I have a bath every day. I get agitated in a shower and just don't feel clean after. Also I shove lots of epsom salts in the bath which helps with the aches and pains!

Parsley3 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:17:09

For the person who asked, I have just started using Lush solid hair conditioner and it is very good.

phoenix Thu 18-Jul-19 18:30:45

A suggestion for those who have trouble working out which bottle is shampoo and which conditioner when in the shower!

Put an elastic band around the conditioner bottle, and before anyone asks "but how do you remember which is which?" , it's as easy as ABC, as in

Always
Band
Conditioner

There you go!

Gonegirl Thu 18-Jul-19 18:40:01

I can never get rid of the slippery feel the shower gel leaves behind on my skin when I just shower. Consequently I don't feel really clean. Prefer a shallow-ish bath and then a stand-up shower-off.

Gonegirl Thu 18-Jul-19 18:40:53

I bought some of the new Lush solid shampoos for grandsons. They like them.

Gonegirl Thu 18-Jul-19 18:44:10

I gave daughter a Karcher window vacuum when she had a new bathroom fitted, for keeping all that shower cubicle glass clear and shiny. They find it very useful.Even the grandsons.

Fennel Thu 18-Jul-19 18:44:33

Minniemoo I miss my bath too, but the last time I had a bath I passed out after climbing out. Lots of bruises etc.
Anyway the house we're in now doesn't have a bath, just a nice roomy shower room. So it's not so bad.
I do miss the relaxation though.

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Jul-19 18:49:37

Liz46 - I expect you know this but there is a shower head which treats the water with an ultraviolet beam especially suited to people with low immunity and other problems as well as preventing legionnaires disease. It used to be called steri-spray but the website is changing (looks like there is a name change going on).

watermeadow Thu 18-Jul-19 21:04:37

Thanks for all this info, I’m glad I asked as showering is clearly an art which I must learn!
I shall write a list covering gels, shampoos, cleaning shower heads and plug holes, nether regions and feet, health hazards, safety and more then I’ll stick it up in my brand new shower room and try to forget the comfort of a lovely hot bath.

TerriBull Thu 18-Jul-19 21:19:23

What everyone else says all your ducks in a row, hair products, body washes to hand, the right temperature and towel ready to grab when you come out, hope you enjoy your new shower as much as those of us who haven't had a bath for years surely do OP.

Stansgran Thu 18-Jul-19 21:25:13

I was in Philadelphia just after the Legionnaires horror at the Bellevue Stratfield hotel( which later was pulled down because no one wanted to stay there understandably). We were staying there and it was scary. I've hated showers ever since. I think you need to run a shower for 10 minutes at 70 ? degrees maybe 65 to get rid of the microbes you breathe in. Bathing is much safer.

Stansgran Thu 18-Jul-19 21:25:59

And are your feet ever clean?

Gonegirl Thu 18-Jul-19 22:37:08

If I am in a holiday cottage with only a shower, I give up on my feet. Just give them a good wetting and hope for the best.

annep1 Thu 18-Jul-19 22:54:40

I shower before bathing because of utis. I shower every day and have an occasional relaxing bath. Hard to beat a relaxing bath with music and a glass of wine.
Make sure you dry the shower doors each time you use it is about all I can add.

NotAGran55 Fri 19-Jul-19 07:51:30

For me 3 things are key . The shower must have an overhead shower head and an additional flexible shower head . Also a button installed on the wall outside the shower to turn the water on before entering. It flashes until the correct temperature is reached from where the taps have previously been set . No chance of burning/freezing whilst you wait which always happens to me in hotels.

JackyB Fri 19-Jul-19 08:05:05

I always have to shower after having a bath. It's the thought of sitting in my own dirt and soap which makes me feel I need a good clean up afterwards. And I can't really get at my "bits" to wash them if I'm sitting on them.

aggie Fri 19-Jul-19 08:13:32

I think you are overthinking this , turn shower on from outside the cubicle , hold your hand under the water till it is warm , step in get wet washed , rinse , step out onto a bath mat , dry . If the shower head is out of reach get it adjusted to come lower so you can unhook the damn thing and rinse your underbits !

aggie Fri 19-Jul-19 08:15:55

JackyB my kids used to yell at younger sibling who had a strange delight in drinking the water when they were in the bath , the cry of Bum Water !! could be heard ringing round the bathroom

Pantglas1 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:28:07

Just one thing to add to previous posts- my chiropodist friend tells me she can always tell which of her (usually older) clients don’t bother to scrub their feet in the shower.....

JackyB Fri 19-Jul-19 10:35:59

We do have a bath once a week, to save the bother of dusting the bathtub, which we would otherwise have to do.

I do a face and hair pack whilst sitting in there with DH, discussing the plans for the week to come. That's when I scrub my feet, too. But I would feel quite happy washing off the gunge in the shower. In fact, a shower is brilliant for that sort of thing. But your feet do get a proper soak in the bath, that's true.

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Jul-19 11:50:38

I don't feel as polarised about shower v bath as most on here.
I love both. They do different things. The shower makes me feel cleaner (frankly don't think there's much to "learn" about showering) and the bath is great for relaxing. Both have a place in my life.
Unlike the original poster, I'm lucky that I can still do both.
watermeadow, you'll soon get used to it and I'm sure will be happy with your new easy-peasy shower.