Gransnet forums

Chat

FaceApp - what do you think?

(35 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 18-Jul-19 09:27:43

Morning all, smile

We've been asked to comment on the new FaceApp feature that allows people to age themselves by about 50 years: www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/17/faceapp-denies-storing-users-photographs-without-permission

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think it's just a bit of harmless fun or think it's offensive to older people? Please leave your comments on this thread. smile

GrandmaKT Thu 18-Jul-19 22:12:21

As Gransnet have asked us to comment on how we feel about this app, could we ask them to comment on the security aspects? I.e. is it just scaremongering or is there a real threat to our security in using it?

crazyH Thu 18-Jul-19 22:18:40

All the youngsters in our fa I,y were trying g it on our family group. Funny nobody asked me to try it ?

Gonegirl Thu 18-Jul-19 22:19:56

How would it be a threat to security, unless, of course, you are a spy? Or a wanted international crook.

rosecarmel Thu 18-Jul-19 23:18:55

Tons of fun .. smile

Laughed so hard I cried- Especially the babies that looked like little old souls ..

SueDonim Fri 19-Jul-19 00:41:24

According to the Telegraph - << glance at the terms and conditions of FaceApp shows that you are giving the app a "perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully-paid, transferable sub-licensable license" to use and reproduce your image in all media formats "without compensation to you". >>

Also - <<Privacy International has warned that mass collection of faces is a "highly-prized commodity" for governments and tech companies, used to train algorithms and for facial recognition-enabled mass surveillance. >>

As facial recognition becomes more commonplace your image could also be used for fraud and identity theft.

Cambridge Analytica, anyone?

Marmight Fri 19-Jul-19 05:50:19

Just a bit of fun. A young friend did it and she looked just like David Beckham - hilarious. I won't bother unless they can make you look younger grin

Mapleleaf Fri 19-Jul-19 06:17:38

On the surface, it seems a bit of fun, however, having read the terms and conditions as posted by SueDonim, I think there's reason to be wary.
I see myself looking more like my Mum everyday anyway and other family members think I do, too, so I don't need an app to age me another 30 years!
I won't be using it myself as I'm not on Facebook, etc and have no wish to be.
I don't really see how "it's offensive to older people", just something to be wary of, as I say above, given how our data can be exploited.

Bordersgirl57 Fri 19-Jul-19 06:22:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LullyDully Fri 19-Jul-19 08:07:35

Just wondering if it would make me look 120