Gransnet forums

Chat

Eating on Trains

(166 Posts)
Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 11:11:43

Oops I think I may have posted this before , but here I am again sitting by someone who has first eaten very smelly cold meat and is now onto loudly crunching crisps . Think there is such a thing as being phobic about eating noises!!

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 14:31:48

Thanks for italic tip Mawbroon

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 14:34:24

Don’t want to be holier etc but I considered egg salad then thought about glass houses !

Happychops Thu 18-Jul-19 14:34:31

I usually don’t mind people eating on trains, but one day a young man got on and started eating a packet of crisps. The smacking of his lips was so loud ,I started to laugh as I Have never heard a racket like it, a man in the carriage looked on horrified as though he couldn’t believe what he was seeing.the young man was oblivious to anyone and made a real meal of it. I nearly choked when he got out another packet and was tempted to ask if I could buy them off him, just so I could stop the racket.?

KatyK Thu 18-Jul-19 14:40:35

Buses are as bad. Yesterday I was on a bus when someone got on with a bag of chips, a drunken man got on with an open can of beer in his back pocket which was spilling out all over the floor and a woman sat beside me who didn't smell very fresh. Nice.

Liz46 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:47:31

My husband has a full set of (his own) very strong teeth. One evening he sat next to me on the sofa and crunched his way through a large handful of almonds. That was bad enough but when he went and got another handful I happened to be on Facebook so sent his daughter a message that I might have to kill her father. She wrote back saying that she totally understands and that's fine!

Sara65 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:05:16

KatyK

My husband crunches sweets! I can’t stand it!

Kittye Thu 18-Jul-19 15:06:09

Try being sat on a packed train facing a couple feasting on sushi ...raw fish ?

SirChenjin Thu 18-Jul-19 15:12:15

My husband swills each mouthful of a drink round his mouth first before he swallows it angry. I've told him that I'm this close > < to doing something I won't regret and he'll deserve it.

Sushi?? shock

KatyK Thu 18-Jul-19 15:25:42

Sara Mine does that too. grin

Day6 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:30:06

Oh come on if you’re on a long train journey you may need to eat I usually buy a meal deal for when I m on a train journey so make sure you don’t sit near me.

Same here Bluebelle.

I have no problem with people eating food in public places as long as it's not in the cinema or theatre and the noise of rustling packets, etc, spoils my enjoyment of the film or play.

I often eat on the train or coach. I tidy away after myself and don't drop litter, so I'm not sure there is a problem, other than the OP disliking the smell of some foods.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jul-19 15:37:57

I like a good munch when I'm out.
Its all part of the experience, to me.

Greyduster Thu 18-Jul-19 16:49:56

I have no objections to people eating on trains, but the fact that there is not that much elbow room on some trains - especially the cross country ones - does tend to make it a bit too much of an intimate experience! I once sat opposite a young man who ate practically the whole way from York to Sheffield. I couldn’t believe the amount of food he put away! His rucksack was like a comestible version of Mary Poppins’ bag! It wasn’t pleasant but it was mesmerising! I was in a train last week sitting behind two beautifully made up and well dressed fifty something blonde ladies who were eating cheese and onion crisps washed down with miniature bottles of prosecco! They were a jolly pair but I don’t know how much of that was due to the prosecco ?!

M0nica Thu 18-Jul-19 17:02:38

If I am on a long train journey and lunch-time or suppertime comes round I will dive into my bag and get my pre-bought sandwich and fruit out and eat it. I have no problems if others do the same.

The same seems reasonable on a national coach going from London to Newcastle.

On a crowded train in the rush hour: no, ditto on a local bus travelling 5 miles.

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Jul-19 17:10:36

Ah, the joys of public transport! I must be the worst nightmare of some people on here - I once unscrewed a bottle of fizzy water on a megabus and sprayed all the surrounding seats (fortunately not occupied ones).

And we usually grab a meal deal to eat on the train home if we've had a day out and I really look forward to tucking in. I have had a word with DH about perhaps not choosing his favourite egg sandwiches though.

I remember booking a seat up from London in the quiet coach and sitting opposite a young woman who considerately sucked her way through a whole bag of crisps. grin

CanadianGran Thu 18-Jul-19 17:19:35

Not on trains, but in a meeting...

Once a month I attend a meeting held in a largish hall, and there is one young woman who comes with apples, bags of chips (crisps), candies with noisy wrappers, etc. No matter what chair I choose, it seems she manages to sit behind me every time. Drives me crazy!

The meeting is usually 1 or 1 1/2 hour held at 7 pm. Can't she manage to withhold snacking for at least that small amount of time!!

annodomini Thu 18-Jul-19 18:02:39

Oh dear! Egg and cress sandwiches are my favourite. Perhaps that is why I have never had cause to object to another passenger eating them. Memo to self: choose cheese.

NanaandGrampy Thu 18-Jul-19 18:06:37

Atqui best not join one the steam trains then that do a 'Fish and chip' run .

www.bluebell-railway.com/whats_on/supper-specials/

grannysyb Thu 18-Jul-19 19:38:03

When you have been out and had a delicious dinner and then get on the late train at Waterloo it's vile when someone gets on eating smelly fast food, we always move carriages!

Iam64 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:52:01

Oh my ! On long train journeys, or even short ones between say Manchester and London in the morning when off to an exhibition, I want breakfast of some kind.

the comments here reminded me of one of my favourite train journeys. It was in northern India. We travelled in first class, where passengers were given a breakfast box but also service with chai and curry if we wanted it. Very friendly and great fun.
Another Indian train journey had no first class. It was so hot and crowded, I joined the Indians standing by the open door to get some fresh air. Again, lots of picnics and chai wallers, fabulous.
If you don't like people eating a bag of crisps I suppose you'd find those journeys - well, words fail me.

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 21:55:50

Misophonia, a disorder which means sufferers have a hatred of sounds such as eating, chewing, loud breathing or even repeated pen-clicking, was first named as a condition in 2001.

Over the years, scientists have been skeptical about whether or not it constitutes a genuine medical ailment, but now new research led by a team at the U.K.’s Newcastle University has proven that those with misophonia have a difference in their brain’s frontal lobe to non-sufferers.
Who knew?

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 21:57:10

Haven’t googled smell phobias!

Calendargirl Thu 18-Jul-19 22:17:56

Does it bother anyone about eating and not washing their hands first? Always hearing about upset stomachs and food poisoning issues, often wonder if they have washed or sanitised their hands as goodness knows how many germs on handles, doors, escalators etc.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jul-19 22:23:31

No, it doesn't bother me.
I'll use hand sanitiser if I've got some but really, I'd eat anyway.

annep1 Thu 18-Jul-19 22:24:50

I often grab an M&S meal at Gatwick airport to eat en route to Brighton. People can't help being hungry.

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Jul-19 22:28:46

I am frankly amazed we have survived to our great ages with all these fears about germs on escalators, door handles and so on hmm
Because Paw was on immunosuppressants he always wore gloves if he had to use handrails at the station when he was still well enough to travel by train, but always enjoyed a cheese and ham baguette on the train home from London!