Speed Awareness Course

(41 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 18-Jul-19 11:36:41

I've got one tomorrow!!

Anyone done it?

What happens?

Do they come round with a ruler and rap your knuckles? grin

M0nica Thu 18-Jul-19 21:35:13

I am not dissing the course. I just think it is aimed at the wrong target. Accidents may well come down faster if the primary aim of the course, was to get people to look more carefully. Ideally, there would be a course for every accident cause, but if there is only one, surely it should be concentrated on the one likely to have the biggest effect on accident statistics.

annep1 Thu 18-Jul-19 22:40:43

I think a course of this kind should be part of the driving test. I found it very informative and helpful.

crazyH Thu 18-Jul-19 22:45:15

Kitty Lester, 3 in 10 years is BAD ?

gillybob Thu 18-Jul-19 22:48:09

Well Merlot my DH and my DS both did one this year ( along with thousands of others) when They were caught on a road where the limit had been changed literally overnight !

They both said they thoroughly enjoyed it . hmm . Although I suppose it depends on who’s running the “course” . Nice money spinner too isn’t it?

merlotgran Thu 18-Jul-19 23:13:39

Yes. It's a nice little earner when you think how many people get caught doing just a few miles over the limit.

I wrote a letter explaining that I'd been called to the hospice because my DD's condition was worsening. I wasn't driving like a bat out of hell but was obviously anxious so distracted. They wrote back saying it was not considered a medical emergency.

Whatever!

The irony was when we got there the flat we were waiting for had become available so I moved in there and then. If it had been available the day before I wouldn't have been caught speeding.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

merlotgran Thu 18-Jul-19 23:18:39

Anyway, I'd better get off to bed.

I've got to be up at ridiculous o'clock in the morning. grin

B9exchange Thu 18-Jul-19 23:41:14

You'll learn a lot, but take something to sustain you. Guarantee there will be at least one aggrieved person there who sets your teeth on edge, but most are friendly, and the staff taking it won't be apportioning blame. If you want to look good, swot up on your highway code stopping distances before you go (you'll get a copy to take home anyway)

Ohmother Fri 19-Jul-19 07:08:50

I’m the world’s stupidest! I got caught again coming back from one. ?

NanKate Fri 19-Jul-19 07:16:08

DH went on one a couple of years ago and said how useful the information was.

silverlining48 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:11:41

That’s really harsh to refuse your appeal Merlot.
flowers

Lessismore Fri 19-Jul-19 09:00:25

It's great for a bit of people watching .

Sorry you have to go though Merlot, very mean.

Iam64 Fri 19-Jul-19 13:02:56

Hope your course day is ok Merlot. Ive just read your comments about the context of your speeding. In the good old days, you'd have been stopped by a police officer, told him where you were going and he'd have either sent you on your way with best wishes, or better yet, put his blue light on and said follow me x

merlotgran Fri 19-Jul-19 13:04:08

All done and dusted! As you've all said, it was interesting and informative. The two guys taking it were very friendly and entertaining. One of them started out as a Butlins Redcoat!!

Thanks, everyone.

annep1 Fri 19-Jul-19 15:52:16

True Iam64

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Jul-19 13:12:58

Can I just add that the costs vary according to venue. I had 3 roughly equidistant venues when I booked mine and the cost was £15 more in the most expensive than it was in the cheapest. I had assumed they were all the same price but clearly not.