Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

NanaandGrampy Tue 30-Jul-19 18:43:45

Evening all !

You will be pleased to know no-one died from my 'scones'( I use that word loosely!) Quite frankly, I have come to the conclusion people on a diet will eat anything !!! I didn't win Woman of the Year ( although Grampy did vote for me … but he might have been the only one !) I am not downhearted because the winner was very worthy.

Your GP sounds like a keeper Soop , I hope she can really help , you don't need this constant buggeration .

Carillion I adore Florentines so please pass the plate and Grampy's favourite is Millionaires shortbread ( no slimming world substitute for them I'm afraid).

I'm looking forward to the beetroot chutney recipe. I love beetroot.

I'm VERY excited, out of the blue I am meeting up with a fellow gransnetter on her way to her holiday destination. There will be much cake and chatting . I shall report back if she is as nice as I suspect she is :-)

Wishing you all a lovely evening ---now …. back to the Florentines !!

Bellanonna Tue 30-Jul-19 18:44:54

Dear soop ?

Susan56 Tue 30-Jul-19 19:06:13

Glad the gap appointment was positive.Sounds like if anyone can get things sorted for you it will be your lovely GP.?

Carillion01 Tue 30-Jul-19 19:36:24

soop it's so good to hear that some GP's are able to give real listening time and thank goodness this sounds so helpful. I'm so pleased a pelvic scan is on the cards... hopefully soon. Xx

N&G ... have started the chutney recipe tonight, you'll definitely be my first recipient, together with some serious cheese! Special millionaires shortbread on the way for Grampy. Just off now to boil a few beetroot before bed.

Sleep well all. Xx

Charleygirl5 Tue 30-Jul-19 21:17:08

Carillion please do not encourage N&G she is bad enough without you giving her cheese and chutney! The cheese is not good for her waistline.

there is zilch on TV for me tonight so I am going to join Tara I think.

callgirl1 Tue 30-Jul-19 21:19:08

Soop, so pleased to hear that you have a GP who actually cares. At our practice we`re allowed 11 point something minutes per appointment, and can discuss one ailment only, any more and fresh appointments have to be made, one appointment per each ailment.
N&G, glad to hear that everyone survived your scones, although I bet you`re doing yourself down, bet they were delicious!
My daughter`s carer has just been to get her ready for bed, but it was a man, and in the past we have specifically asked for female carers only, as she`s never had anything to do with men. He apologised and rang the office, but nobody else was available due to being short staffed, so she (reluctantly) agreed to let him do his job. He has promised to make sure that no men come in the future.
After a day of sunshine interspersed with very short, light showers, it`s now bucketing down.

Nannytopsy Tue 30-Jul-19 23:26:13

Still pouring down here! In two days the wheelbarrow has filled to brim. DH spotted it and poured out the water to save the plants in there drowning.
TO Soop and YA

annodomini Tue 30-Jul-19 23:41:37

Nannytopsy, my wheelbarrow is also full to overflowing. I wish it had a few drainage holes in the bottom. It has nothing in it, though I'd be surprised if there weren't a host of mosquito larvae swimming around by now. I will have to tip it up and flood part of the garden.
soop you have a great GP who is prepared to go the extra mile. We are lucky here too and long may it last!
TOYA moon

Panache Wed 31-Jul-19 13:34:19

Wouldyou believe it .............two light showers overnight so perhaps there is more on the way!

Another Garage Sale planned for saturday so hopefully no beach weather, but at the same tim e,no rain either!! Some of us are never satisfied!

Good for you dear Soop having the services of a caring GP and sincerely hoping your investigations and digging deep proves successful.Time you got both to the bottom of these health issues which span many years ............and hopefully you get some lasting help that gets you back on a much improved period of health.
My dear man has had a very swollen and painful foot and leg for at least 8 months,following a scan and various tests it has been proved this problem is NOT related to his cancers,.............yet GP after GP have simply looked the other way it would seem.This gets very painful daily and is debilitating whilst the cancer issues are for now being treated and he experiences reasonable relief.
However with moving and forced to find a new Surgery the young new GP has already looked into sending him to a Lymphoedema Clinic and this in fact will be tomorrow.
Even the fact someone has listened intently,referred him for help has been a great uplift, and given him fresh hope.
Hope goes a long way when facing these bleak illnesses.

Back to adding a few more homely pieces to our walls I guess!The boxes are now no more and the place looks more like home each new day. Furthermore our TV in the bedroom has been dutifully wired up and so we are well prepared for those long winter evenings!!

Sending oodles of love and hugs to you all,keep those home fires burning!!

soop Wed 31-Jul-19 13:48:34

Good afternoon my lovelies. Sun is shining. Ironing job done. Dead-heading gardening now on the agenda.

N&G To us lot you are an all time, all round winner.

Panache I would enjoy rootling around your garage sale. Not that I need more clutter...but...on the off chance of finding something that I didn't know I needed. Do you understand? wink

callgirl1 Said our usual hello to David. The site is bristling with campers. And...the wee store that was (until it closed and became an art studio) has been purchased and will revert to it's original use. A proper wee store. New owner. Something good for the community of Muasdale.

Charleygirl5 Wed 31-Jul-19 13:53:22

Panache it is good that you have had to move for many reasons and one of them is that you appear to have registered with a much better GP surgery.

Unfortunately, lymphoedema is not curable but it is manageable. He will be measured up for wraps/stockings but the pair of you may have a problem getting them on as it can take brute strength, depending on what you have been prescribed. It is another of the buggerations I have!

TOYA

Nannyfaraway Wed 31-Jul-19 14:40:50

Hello everyone. Apologies for not being around for a few days. Have been ridiculously busy at work actually worked 51 hours instead of 30 last week.
Managed to spend a few hours with. Grandadfaraway when I wasn't working.
Day off today had my breast screening this morning.Quite painful and I ache now
Relaxing with a coffee now but forgot the cakegrin
Will try and pop back in later
TOYA

Carillion01 Wed 31-Jul-19 15:18:16

Good afternoon everyone, so sorry to see the awful floods in Yorkshire and Northumberland and if any of this dangerous weather is close to you, sending love and moral support.

Panache I've only been in and out of this wonderful kitchen for about two months but have been following your move closely. I love to read how well things are settling for you and your DH.

I read Charleygirl's post about if MrPanache has the chance to have wraps or stockings to ease his leg. I hope this might be of some assistance because as you probably know, getting such stockings on is an Olympic test of skill in itself.

When my DH had his hips and knees replaced, operations fairly close to each other, he seemed to have to live in those stockings but what we used to do to make the job of getting them on easier was to use plastic shopping bags.

We put them on each foot then slid the stocking on much easier over the ankle... then pulled the plastic bag out through the hole in the toe end of the stocking! Sounds a long-winded explanation but might come in handy. X

soop hope yesterday's visit was positive and encouraging. Sending love. X

soop Wed 31-Jul-19 15:43:28

Carillion Thank you. The appointment was first class. Now that I've joined the 'Sling the Mesh' group, I am regaining a sense of purpose. All these years of traipsing from one consultant to another and not realising that there are thousands of patients suffering the same symptoms as mine. There have been times when I thought...it's just one of those things...maybe I am peculiar in some way. Not a bit of it.

Nannyfaraway* All in a good cause. It is essential to have such screenings. Life saving in fact.

NanaandGrampy Wed 31-Jul-19 16:32:24

Afternoon all!!

I am returned from a spur of the moment meeting with Mr and Mrs Greyduster and what a lovely pair of people they are too!!

Grampy and Mr Grey had a long chat about a shared history and sport whilst Mrs Grey and I put the problems of the world to rights and ate cake!

It’s amazing how a site such as Gransnet brings together people who might otherwise never have met.

I am giddy with happiness???

I hope you have all had something to smile about today and I will catch up and return later xx

Charleygirl5 Wed 31-Jul-19 16:33:23

Carillion I am well aware of the stockings you had mega problems with but the ones I have I can actually get on and my hands do not have a lot of strength.

The ones I have were measured and I think made in Germany, costing meg bucks, over £100 and they are changed 6 monthly. That is what happens at the clinic I go to. All of the clinics are nurse-led so at least you spend a decent amount of time there - you are not shuffled in and out with somebody having an eye on the clock.

I have spent most of the afternoon watching TV and more importantly, trying to decrease the paper mountain.
TOYA

soop Wed 31-Jul-19 16:56:32

N&G It is really special to meet with a Gransnetter and spouse - especially when you like each others company and get to eat cupcake. I've met a few in my time on GN. I've liked every one and often wish that we all lived a good many many miles closer.

Charleyg I've two pairs of NHS stockings in my drawer. One pair, navy. One pair, white.

We had a message this morning from youngest son. He's to fly to Glasgow after my birthday. We're staying in a hotel near the airport. Very chuffed! It's only taken well over an hour and a half to book our room. Don't ask! And then, as we were printing the reservation paper work...an extra £19 was added for taxes. There was no mention of this charge until after we had paid. Hey ho! there is always a bit of a down-side.

I've done nowt in the garden. I haven't unloaded the washing machine. It's been one of those days.

Log off time for today. Back with you with a smile on my face and a spring in my step sometime tomorrow morning.

TOYA. smile moon

dragonfly46 Wed 31-Jul-19 17:03:12

Gosh what a lot of news to catch up on.

Susan I noticed you have just got back from Riva del Garda. We were there this time last year - so beautiful.

Soop so pleased you are making progress with your mesh ops. Something flashed up on our GP's board this morning with a phone number to ring but it flashed by before I could read it. Our GP is obviously behind the complaints.

How lovely the Greydusters met up with N&G Gransnet is indeed a lovely place.

Panache your news just gets better and better. I am so pleased you are settling so well and Mr Panache is also able to enjoy your new place. What a relief it must be.

We have been having the usual whirlwind of hospital and GP visits between us. DH still suffering with painful hip although scans not showing anything. GP is going to refer him to hospital if it doesn't improve with injection. Not sure we can fit in any more hospital visits.

So sorry I cannot mention everyone but TOYA.

kittylester Wed 31-Jul-19 17:43:05

I agree with dragonfly - heaps of news to catch up with (with which to catch up!!??) GN is indeed a good place for making friends. I have met dragonfly and nannytopsy from the kitchen (and lots of others) and they are both lovely - although, I must have upset Topsy as she is leaving the area!! I have also met maw - anyone seen her?

I've been busy on granny duty! They left at about 3pm yesterday and I'm still tired!!

Bertie is going from Infants to Juniors and each child receives a certificate which lists the things that the teachers will remember them for. Bertie's said things like 'working hard', 'being a kind friend' etc. I asked Persie what hers will say next year 'I think it will say, Persie can daydream in maths and English!' grin

soop keep fighting. We are with you. sunshine

TOYA - I'll try to pop back later - if I'm still awake! grin

GrannyGravy13 Wed 31-Jul-19 17:44:40

So much going on in this kitchen.

I have been to the gym then come home and emptied my ironing basket, good day.

Mr.Gravy is out this evening so I can have the remote control all to myself, I might even have my dinner on a tray in the lounge!!!

Pleasing to hear good news from the Panaches.

Soop your GP sounds marvellous.

TOYA

annodomini Wed 31-Jul-19 17:44:57

Following a weekend of rain on top of rain, a tropical downpour this afternoon has caused a flash flood. the road past the house is like a river which has diverted through my garden to meet up with the local brook and formed a lake, just as it did three years ago when it happened before. The street drains couldn't cope and the brook broke its bank just up the road. A police car went up the road and since things are now very quiet, it seems they have closed it. Thank goodness I got home before it all kicked off.

Can't imagine what kind of mischief N&G might have got up to with the Greydusters. How lovely to have a pleasant get together and find a lot in common - and cake.

The sun is trying to come out, though the clouds aren't far away.

Susan56 Wed 31-Jul-19 17:45:21

dragonfly it was our third visit to Riva,first time was in 2008 and it doesn’t change,really beautiful.
Panache,if Mr Panache is prescribed stockings,there is a device that can also be prescribed to assist in puttting them on.The first one we dispensed in the pharmacy caused a lot of hilarity,we really couldn’t work out how it worked!We were given a lesson by the district nurse so we could show patients and once you get the hang of it they are really simple to use.
Am off now to spend a couple of hours in the garden before the rain comes back tomorrow!
TOYA

Greyduster Wed 31-Jul-19 17:48:33

The pleasure was absolutely all ours! The only thing missing was Sam!
Blowing a hooley here in Hunstanton. We are off to get something to eat and then hunker down. Broadband very iffy so forgive me if I don’t keep up the next few days! TOYA.

Synonymous Wed 31-Jul-19 17:49:32

soop so glad to hear that you had a good GP appointment. Panache too! Much more positivity coming to the fore and hopefully good treatment in time. smile

annsixty Wed 31-Jul-19 18:09:06

I can echo what anno said about the rain, it has been horrendous, real biblical stuff.
My garden is under inches of water on one side, but at least we are safe and well, unlike poor souls in some parts of the country, particularly the Yorkshire dales.
Their lives are on hold again, we are inconvenienced they are, in some cases, homeless again.
I had a nice lunch with my friend but our venue had to be changed due to said weather.

Good wishes to all who have hospital visits etc and happy to hear about yet another GN meetup
It is lovely to put a face to a name
Food to think about now.
TOYA.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion