Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

Panache Sat 17-Aug-19 14:42:41

Dear Anno of course I remember your visit to your sister at what must have been a difficult time back then.
Heartfelt condolences on the sad news of her passing, but yes a blessing to know she is no longer suffering.
Feeling for you too Anneleise

A picture of happiness Soop there with your number 3 son,and may life continue on an uplifting note for you.

May I say a big thank you Charleygirl for reminding me of the real facts behind dry MD and yes I shall follow this up.
This is not something to neglect even if the Gpovernment does not care...........seems those in Scotland suffers like us here in Wales.
Just not good enough.

Thanks to your help Izabella I have found a Support group within this new town I live in,so another bonus.......they meet in September next.

Whilst taking a small portion of the gorgious offerings between our Lins1066 and GQ I think "my cup runneth over!!"..........I do wish I could partake as both look ever so tempting.What accomplish cooks you are.
I can well understand how returning to the kitchen and actually baking is a real treat Lins 1066........seems you have not lost your touch!

After quite a healthy......and needy........fall of rain the sun is shining yet again, though slightly blustery outside,Autumn is surely standing in the wings.

The viewings continue and with some very good comments and second viewings with others not so kind, quite frankly we are almost losing the plot!
Just waiting and hoping!

A quiet weekend planned and I wish you all much the same.You have certainly earned one Ann
Love and blessings to you all xx.

soop Sat 17-Aug-19 15:05:14

A lovely, supportive post, as always. Thank you, Panache

Charleygirl5 Sat 17-Aug-19 15:17:38

Is it not lovely to see so many new names on the sponsored prizes to be won! Amazing how much crawls out from under the woodwork when money is the prize.

It is very sunny and breezy here so the washing is drying beautifully.

I received a cooling bed from the comp[any I keep going all by myself yesterday evening. I was not sitting behind the door knitting so the box was left in the rain on the doorstep and when I opened the door I saw the fellow drive off into the sunset. To date, Tara has not looked at it. She may like it when the lovely blanket I have ordered for her arrives next week. She is not very appreciative of gifts.

Mim seems to like Esme- I hope that lasts especially as Esme will require more care and attention.!
TOYA

annodomini Sat 17-Aug-19 17:02:38

mamissimo, lovely picture of big sister, Mim. I hope that Esme grows to enjoy her company!
Charley, you are evidently spoiling Tara. May I suggest that you treat yourself to a nice blanket as she will appreciate it more if it is on your bed!
Thanks to all of you who have sent condolences. It's good to know so many people care. My other sister and I have so many memories - some are very funny - that they are keeping us going through this time of sorrow.

mrshat Sat 17-Aug-19 17:23:35

Heartfelt sympathy anno. I read on here but seldom post. I remember your trip to New Zealand and your feelings about it. Good to share memories with your other sister. Keep strong and remember she is no longer suffering. flowers

soop Sat 17-Aug-19 17:35:47

Mamissimo Aww! Darling Mim's first cuddle with babay sister Esme. Such a precious moment. Esme looks very bonnie and appears to have a first class pair of lungs. Thank you. Another babe to add to the kitchen hall of fame. flowers

No visit from friend who will assist with the new-fangled, far too clever phone. I cannot for the life of me work out how to transfer the pic of Baggs and me. To be honest, I find all the faffin' stressful. I prefer to use my trusty wee camera for picture taking and even trustier ancient Nokia for messaging. Simples! Like me. wink

I shall return tomorrow. Keep thinking that it's Friday. We go away for one day and the entire week is thrown into disarray.

TOYA smile moon

soop Sat 17-Aug-19 17:36:56

"baby Esme*...trigger happy fingers. I blame Brexit and the new phone. shock

Doodle Sat 17-Aug-19 17:45:20

Lovely name Esme and really nice photo.
Hello MrsHat ?

Lona Sat 17-Aug-19 19:09:44

anno my sincere condolences on the death of your sister. flowers
Good that you were able to spend a happy time with her though.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:20:49

Mamissimo a beautiful picture of baby Esmeralda & Mim.

I am exhausted have got 2 eldest GS here for weekend, I now have to negotiate who sleeps in the “children’s room” and who has the big guest room - I feel the UN peace keeping force would struggle with this conundrum ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 17-Aug-19 20:29:40

anno Tara only comes to my bed when I first go to bed and that is for cuddles. The minute I switch off the light she leaves - I disturb her because I breathe and move.

She used to use the 3rd bedroom, loving the single bed with its memory foam mattress and duvet but now prefers the floor in the other bedroom.

GG better you than me!!!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 17-Aug-19 20:41:14

Our AD and 4yr old GS are living with us at the moment, so he wants his “favourite cousin” in the children’s room with him.

I have resorted to a glass of vino verde and bribery with ice creams (vino for me obviously, AD is pleading pregnancy sickness and has bolted to her room) Mr.Gravy is watching Captain America on TV .......Oh dear!

Izabella Sat 17-Aug-19 21:30:04

I am so sorry for you annodomino.

Lovely picture soop

grannyqueenie Sat 17-Aug-19 23:23:45

GrannyGravy, that made me laugh out loud. There’s nothing quite like negotiating sleeping arrangements with visiting grandchildren, and often “musical beds” are involved. Aka using as much bedlinen as is humanly possible! When our children were small and people asked “what do you do?” I was often tempted to say I worked as a mediator with the UN!
#transferableskills wink

Synonymous Sat 17-Aug-19 23:56:40

Trying not to read and run, impossible to catch up either so will just say TOYA! flowers

Izabella Sun 18-Aug-19 09:39:14

Synonmymous I understand. So many visitors to the kitchen and news and events. Some sad, some positive. Even with my trusty notes I "miss" things, but everyone seems to understand. Thank you all.

Has anyone else noticed a proliferation of ^Eratigena atrica^ gracing their bathtubs of late? CH decided on a bath late last night and spent 10 minutes rescuing a huge one, then lost it betwixt bathtub and the velux. An entertaining time then spent with a naked CH chasing it around the floor. I will not describe the scene more fully for fear of upsetting anyone of a more sensitive nature ? Problem being the door does not fit flush to the floor and it escaped to live another day in the comfort of our abode. Where she is now we have no clue, and I assume definitely female due to the size.

OK, notes to hand. Panache so pleased you found a support group. We have found the Alzheimers one so helpful. Charleygirl you must tell me bout the sponsored prizes. News to me. grannyqueenie that cake looks totally scrumptious and worthy of any table.

I am also thinking of Anneliese as reading Annos sad news must be hard for you.

Finally Massissimo lovely photo. Thanks for posting. The washing machine is now bleeping so must pop out and help CH peg out the sheets. His rotator cuff - or what is left of it after surgery - is not good. Last nights floor exercises have not helped.

Greyduster Sun 18-Aug-19 10:11:51

Hello the kitchen. I have been a little under the weather since Thursday so haven’t felt like posting except to add my condolences for Anno. Nothing I can put a finger on.

Mammisimo your photo of Mimm and baby Esme is lovely. It’s good for her to have a sister!

Soop you will soon get used to your phone, I guarantee it, and you will be posting photos all over the place. If a numpty like me can do it, anyone can! Please send Baggs my best regards.

Panache there is obviously interest in your house, which is good! Hang in there! Enjoy your quiet weekend.

We had a very late night last night, having driven two hours up to County Durham to watch an outdoor historical spectacular called “Kynren”. The weather was good, the outdoor catering was ridiculously awful as it was a full house and they simply ran out of whatever passes for food at these places. Fortunately we had had lunch here before we left, but small boys and their dads are always hungry. There was also a mile long walk from our car park to get to the showground which is in the middle of nowhere. Niggles aside, it was a wonderful experience. Amazing colour, special effects and pyrotechnics..... all that it takes to pack a thousand years of history into a couple of hours. Mesmerising. We drove back with GS asleep with his head on my lap for two hours, which didn’t do my legs any good, but I hadn’t the heart to disturb him. They are off to an athletics meeting in Birmingham today, so no lie in for them this morning. My son is coming down in an hour for an early lunch and football with his dad, so a quiet afternoon for me! Better get a move on. I will look in later.

Charleygirl5 Sun 18-Aug-19 10:31:00

Izabella I was being sarcastic but at the start of Active there are two sponsored promotions- fill them in and you may win dosh. The majority of people who take part only do so for the money competitions. You never see their names until the next promotion.

I must put some clothes on as I am meeting a friend for lunch
TOYA

soop Sun 18-Aug-19 12:46:20

Charleyg It ceratinly is a good idea to wear clothes for your lunchtime meeting. grin
"Our Brodie" is keeping a low profile. Having said that, the cat biscuits continue to disappear overnight. We like that.

Greyduster The "Kinren" experience sounds superb. Well worth the long drive and having your grandson's sleepy head resting on your lap for two precious hours.

Izabella Are you referring to our eight-legged, eight-eyed visitors? I have an irrational fear of them. Yet, we always make sure that, if at all possible, they are humanely captured and given a new life outside our home. I haven't seen one for a very, very, very long time. We use chestnut oil as a deterrent. It's harmless and, it does seem to work to our advantage.

Welcome back, MrsHat smile

GrannyGravy You deserve a medal made from pure gold.

soop Sun 18-Aug-19 12:56:53

Charleyg Isn't my spelling of "certainly" quaint?

annsixty Sun 18-Aug-19 15:18:40

Just back from a night away meeting up with an old, in both senses , friend.
It is at least 60 years since we last met and no contact since
She lived in the West Indies for many years , returning when her marriage ended.
Her S’s all came to university here and stayed so she came home.
Two of her S’s are high fliers and one brought her up to Derbyshire for our meeting.
He was lovely but very intellectual as actually is my friend.
It was a lovely couple of days.
She is in poor health but didn’t look it, she looks nothing like 82, is very smart, very “ with it” and we remembered so much of our childhood and school days, it was amazing.

How much we will see of each other I don’t know, I suspect it will be a phone and e-mail friendship.
She lives in a village south of Cambridge and urged me to go and visit but it means 3 trains and I think it would be too much for me.
I loved staying in a Premier Inn on my own, the food was rubbish though.
I will catch up on your news later.
anno flowers

soop Sun 18-Aug-19 15:42:03

ann A very well worthwhile reunion. The Premier Inn needs to update their menu. All a bit "samey".

Pic of me and young Baggs. Plus me with MacSporran, and another with son number three. Happy times.

soop Sun 18-Aug-19 16:28:17

Sorry that MacSporran and I appear to be upside down. Never mind, you should get the impression that we were happy to be with Baggs. That's what counts.

A lovely sunny end to the afternoon. I shall away to read the Sunday paper.

Take very good care of yourselves. TOYA smile moon

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Aug-19 16:50:57

I survived!!! 2 GC returned home safe and sound. I have had to write on calendar who slept where.

Cooking roast beef for 5, have a good evening.

TOYA ????

eilyann Sun 18-Aug-19 17:20:36

Anno Well remember your trip and glad that you managed it. Your sister is now at peace and you have some happy memories. God bless flowers

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion