Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for all in need of a hearty blether.

(1001 Posts)
soop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:52

Welcome to all...it's good to have your company. You are special peoples. flowers sunshine wine cupcake smile

Marydoll Mon 19-Aug-19 21:01:23

Annelise, it is hard, not soft like fudge.

Tablet

2lbs granulated sugar
Knob of butter
Sm tin condensed milk (Not evaporated)
1 teacup of milk
Vanilla essence.

Put all the ingredients in a large, heavy based pan and stir over a low heat with a wooden spoon until the sugar dissolves.
Boil without stirring until a soft ball forms when syrup is tested in cold water. ( drop a little mixture from the spoon into cold water)
Remove the mix from the heat (it will be a caramel shade) and beat well until the mixture thickens.
Pour into an oiled Swiss roll tin and leave to set.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:03:28

Marydoll enjoy your time in Rome - please do not do anything us “kitcheners” would not do?????

annsixty Mon 19-Aug-19 21:04:34

What good news from you Marydoll
Now you have something to really look forward to.
Go and enjoy every minute.

Alygran Mon 19-Aug-19 21:21:27

Marydoll great news. I am so pleased for you.
Ann PJs at 6 is fine. You have been very busy lately, it does catch up with you.
To everyone TOYA

cornergran Mon 19-Aug-19 21:32:19

Excellent news marydoll. Behave? Well, you can only try. smile

Sinking quietly here. We’ve been trying to find the space to go back and visit our very poorly friend. We thought we’d sorted it, well we had, but it seems a decision was made today to transfer her to a city centre hospital 40 miles away from the current market town location. No, not in our direction so 5 hours not 4. Like fine wine I’m not a good traveller. Right now a scream is building as there seems no medical reason for the transfer. Back to the drawing board, find a bit more space and different accommodation, we can do this of course and will.

Oh well, moan over. Google is a wonderful thing.

TOYA.

Charleygirl5 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:40:42

As Marydoll said, tablet is hard, unlike fudge which is soft. Tablet should be grainy but not gritty if that makes sense. I love it but my teeth less so. It is very addictive if made properly.

I gave Tara a treat tonight and within minutes of eating it, came into the living room and promptly vomited. That is the reason I do not have a carpet there! I was eating my supper at the time but I am used to her ways.

It is much colder this evening- I intend to have an early shower and retire to bed to read. A hot water bottle will accompany me. What will I do in January?

corner that is one horrendous journey- I hope your friend appreciates it. I wonder why she has been transferred- has it got better rehab facilities if she is at that stage?
TOYA

Anneliese63 Mon 19-Aug-19 22:30:15

Thank you Marydoll and Charleygirl. I didn’t get it at first as the ingredients seemed the same, but as I’ve not been making the fudge, I didn’t realise the quantities were different. Now I can see that there’s a lot more sugar and a lot less butter in tablet.

Marydoll have a great time in Rome. And Charleygirl I hope Tara’s tum settles down ASAP!

Nannytopsy Mon 19-Aug-19 22:38:37

Good news Marydoll! Enjoy your holiday !

grannyqueenie Mon 19-Aug-19 23:37:31

Great news Marydoll on your holiday news. Your tablet recipe is the same as the one I have, the one my mum always used. I only make it at Christmas, you're right * Charleygirl* it is very addictive, theres nothing quite like it...which is why I only make it once a year!

callgirl1 Mon 19-Aug-19 23:53:01

Does anyone else find that the longer you read this thread without posting, the harder it is to get back into things?
N&G, lovely pics, I love the t-shirt slogan! Don`t those little boys look just like their mum? Grampy`s diet is definitely working, he`s positively svelte!
Marydoll, enjoy your holiday, despite the insurance. My son and his wife were planning a holiday to celebrate him being officially in remission, but the £1200 for insurance has stopped them in their tracks!
GrannyQ, beautifully serene photos.
Corner, that`s a bummer, having to travel even further now, especially as you`re not a good traveller.
Ann, your troubles are just as valid and important as everyone`s, anyway, nowt wrong with early PJs.
I hope that Tara`s tum settles down.
I only tried tablet once, it was delicious, but far too sickly for me, I only managed half a square!
To everyone I have missed out, so sorry, but,
TOYA! xx

Greyduster Tue 20-Aug-19 08:49:39

Hello the kitchen!
Me too, callgirl - I fall at the first fence these days?.

Corner a daunting journey to see your friend is certainly something you could do without. I hate long journies these days. I hope you manage to revise your plans successfully ?. Maybe build in an overnight stop?

Marydoll two pounds of sugar?? My teeth are aching just thinking about it! I love fudge though!

Soop I love your photos - especially the one with your son! He is like you; so is mine - I couldn’t lose him in a crowd (I have triedhmm)!

We are currently waiting for GS to wake up. I think he comes here to catch up on his sleep!! We had a fairly busy day yesterday and in the evening after tea, we went to the nearby country park for a walk, to kick a football and eat ice cream. It’s the first time for a long time I have seen no sailing boats on the lakes on such a lovely balmy evening. Apparently a toxic algae caused by the hot weather has invaded the water and is proving very difficult to clear. Shame, as we were planning to take a canoe out this week. People are also having to keep their dogs on leads as it is toxic to animals too.
We are going to a NT property today where they have a ‘sports have a go’ day. I will not be having a go, but no doubt grandad will! I will report back later! There are signs of movement, at last, from The Boy!
TOYA!

Izabella Tue 20-Aug-19 08:50:13

Off to the seaside for a few days. CH says I am like an excited child. ?

NanaandGrampy Tue 20-Aug-19 09:33:34

Morning all !

Today it is exciting here.....I'm tackling the laundry mountain !!!

Yesterday was a far nicer day in terms of chores, we found the perfect charm for our daughters birthday present. Her husband has bought her a new bracelet so it made it nice and easy for us. We cannot believe she will be 40 - where did those years go. Sometimes I look back and wish I had cherished the moment more but at the time it was just daily life.

Enjoy the seaside Izabella !!

Have a fab day Grey, take lots of pictures for us lot !!

Grampy says thanks Corner, we now have a standing joke here , he mentions his weight loss often in the most bizarre of circumstances so now we add it too- for instance - do you want cereal ? After all you have lost 4 st 2 1/2 lbs !!! Mean aren't we lol

I know what you mean about getting back into it after being away from the kitchen Corner. I now read the current page and just start there. I'm sure no one minds if every little thing isn't commented on. I just do my best :-)

Hope Tara is feeling better today Charley .

Sam has been 'mystery taste testing' for a well known pet food company. It involved a dental treat per day and then a lengthy questionnaire ( which I filled in on his behalf) and then we had to video him !! I will be paid for his participation and we will spend it on nice treats for him. I see it as a whole new career for him!!

Time to get this day underway - enjoy whatever makes you happy kitcheners !!

Ive never had tablet Marydoll but I'm willing to try it . I do love Edinburgh rock though :-)

Doodle Tue 20-Aug-19 10:02:06

Have fun at the seaside izabella ?
Hope you have a lovely holiday too marydoll ?

Synonymous Tue 20-Aug-19 10:26:34

soop how you keep up so beautifully with 'this lot' I just don't know. Hope you and MacS are looking after each other just as well! x

Izabella a few days at the seaside sounds wonderful - enjoy! x

Panache keeping you in our prayers for a swift resolution to the house issues. x

Ann pjs are an essential piece of kit in your tool box. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant, you just do what helps you. x

So much busyness in the kitchen that it is difficult to pick out more than one or two but to say I am impressed by your stamina is an understatement!

Busy day today for us as DD returns home tomorrow so we have to scramble to do all the things we want to complete before she goes, where does the time go?! She has cooked and frozen main meals, soups and lots of baking so has been such a blessing.
Himself is celebrating another birthday today so we are planning to take him out for (main meal) lunch. At least that means no cooking today! He has been throwing out hints about a birthday cake which we have just 'not noticed' so I hope he will be pleased with the little one DD has quietly made. It will be all for him as there is wheat in it which neither of his ladies can manage but I am sure he will cope admirably! smile

Tomorrow after she leaves we two set off for the big smoke to be at the prosthetics hospital for the appointment on the following day. Really hoping that he has the go ahead for a much better leg as wearing this one has become a bit miserable as he has to wear 6 or 7 thick terry socks on the stump to keep it on which makes it hot and sore.
I am hoping my energy holds out to accomplish everything but we go early enough tomorrow to be able to have an early night and a good rest before the appointment so all should be well!

TOYA flowers

Nannyfaraway Tue 20-Aug-19 10:58:10

Hello everyone. Had more emergencies at work but all seems back to normal now. I have at last got a few days off. So should be able to pop in here everyday.
I'll try and pop back later.
TOYA
Need to rest today then catch up with housework. My ironing basket is beginning to look like a mountain.

Charleygirl5 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:03:28

Thank you all for asking about Tara. She was fine 2 minutes after she was sick. I think she eats too quickly- I do not know why because I leave dry food and water out permanently in case anything happens to me- I would hate her to be hungry.

N&G I am so jealous of grampy's weight loss- he has done so well.

Synonymous I do hope that DH gets his new leg sorted out. He has put up with enough buggerations to date.

I really must get my mental act together and get out.
TOYA

Panache Tue 20-Aug-19 12:12:25

Morning to you all,such cheery posts that well and truly uplifts our hearts,thank you.

As for one lucky "kitchener" off to the seaside for a few days ..........yes you Izabella..........I know you will be in for a treat as the weather is getting even better towards the end of the week.
You would not be heading into our "neck of the woods" (Pembrokeshire) perchance??,August Bank holiday is the peak of the summer season and is well celebrated in all manner of ways.
Would love having you and your caring man!

More house news would you believe,another offer,again low but the people have returned with an improved one,however as yet we cannot acertain their position regarding their own property....... so it is very much a waiting game.

How great hearing some cheery news Marydoll indeed just what you need after all your various miseries.Let us hope this holiday may prove the turning point for much better times........health ways as well and every way.xx

Synonymous feeling for your poor man for although he meets his problems head on with a smile, it sounds as though his prosthesis truly needs readjusting ...........soon.He needs less of these buggerations for sure.
Do wish him a Happy birthday from us too.

Thinking of you Doodle and hoping there is much more in the way of uplifts on their way to you and your family.

So sorry to hear of yet these added miles to your travelling when wishing to visit your needy friend Corner,indeed it would almost seem to be"the straw that breaks the camel`s back".Very upsetting for you I am sure.

I heartily agree that the picture with your son Soop shows you both have the same attractive bone structure,making for a very handsome pair.

Hurrah! my washing machine has duly arrived from previous house and was dutifully plumbed in yesterday, so no longer do I need to take our clothes to the laundry room although I shall use their excellent drying facilities.
Things are improving daily and without too much hassle we are almost "home and dry",still awaiting 3 small items and needing to find a few finishing touche sso we are both well pleased.

Much like you say about your dear husband Anneliese my dear man will still try his hand on all manner of things,sadly if he manages it, will have taken him twice the normal time and he is totally spent,but there is no knocking his will and determination to carry on as per normal.
I am sure you must find it difficult to draw that line between allowing him to carry on whilst looking out for their well being at the same time.
But I think we must allow them stretch themselves most of the time as uplifting the morale is so very important.We need to walk that fine line between over loading but allowing them to proceed....... but with great care..

Time to head for the dining hall for lunch,carefully putting on a good appearance of course, as it often is quite a parade of fashion (amongst all the scooters and various buggies!!!)

Enjoy your day,TOYA xx

Doodle Tue 20-Aug-19 13:10:17

My DH has just sent me an email with 40 or more different emojis (smileys). Apparently, according to something he read in the paper, the more emojis you send in communications, the more sex you get ???

Galen Tue 20-Aug-19 13:30:44

Really?
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Ps what’s sex?
Is it nice?

soop Tue 20-Aug-19 14:36:39

Oh, Galen Your post made me splutter! Tyke!

Doodle Your dear husband could be trying to drop a subtle hint. hmm Not! grin

Marydoll The recipe sounds deadly delicious. I enjoyed reading it. Made me drool. Sadly, the real thing is on my forbidden list.
Have yourself a wonderful trip to Rome. When in Rome...you know the rest. wink

Synonymous Your dearly beloved will, I'm sure, be happy with whatever birthday treat you have organised for him. Please give him a virtual cuddle from us lot. grin
It would be perfect if he could return home with either a more suitable prosthesis or have one to look forward to.

Izabella Go, girl! Have a lovely trip to the seaside.. sunshine

Panache Your day will come. The perfect buyer for your home is closer than you think. Maybe, as early as this weekend, you will be gleefully relating the good news to the kitchen. We have an ginormous bottle of bubbly waiting to be popped.

Nannyfaraway flowers for you x

N&G I knew that the ironing or whatever had been shelved. I knew that you had hot-footed into the city to purchase a birthday gift. Wise choice. It sounds so right.
Our Sam could be on a future TV pet food advert. Clever boy! He's a four-legged legend.
Eldest son is 58. shock Surely, there's been a mistake.

corner You know what you are? A good friend...one of the best methinks.

Greyduster It is a fact that young boys need twice as much sleep as other 'umans. You are a good, kind, understanding Grannie. Enjoy tour visit to the National Trust and, if you can, please take some photos to share with us.

Charleyg I'm hoping that Tara has fully recovered. Had she been chewing on grass?

We've been to the care home this morning. As a result, I'm running a bit late. The sun is shining. If I can be bothered to change into gardening gear, I intend doing more tidying of the overgrown borders.

Back later.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Aug-19 14:46:10

We have just returned home after having our vaccinations in order to visit AS and DIL in Kenya.

I know they are having an adventure whilst working AS works hard and DIL volunteers, but I wish it was in Brighton!!! I have a very sore arm, headache and beginning to feel nauseous. Trying to occupy a 4 yr.old GC and smile though it all, Mr.Gravy is feeling fine (allegedly, but he wouldn't say if he felt c**p!!!).

I wish all kitcheners well, but I am struggling to keep up, hopefully when GC go back to school in September I shall keep up to date.

TOYA ???

dragonfly46 Tue 20-Aug-19 14:59:23

Hallo everyone.
I am way behind with all the news.

It is great, however, getting regular updates from both Panache and Izabella.
You sound to have settled really well Panache I am so pleased.
Izabella enjoy paddling in the sea.

I have enjoyed all the photos of the country and the children. They are very uplifting.

I have been quiet recently as I had a CT scan a couple of weeks ago and I was very worried. However, it has shown that there is no spread and my op is booked for 2nd September. Will find out more after that but looking like radiotherapy afterwards to zap the rest as I have been told. Also I am now off the strange medication which can only be a good thing both for the cost to the NHS and the cost to my bones etc.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Aug-19 15:01:09

dragonfly that is positive news ??

aggie Tue 20-Aug-19 15:05:51

That is so good Dragonfly , best wishes for the next stage in your journey xxx

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion