Gransnet forums

Chat

Avoiding ironing

(147 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 22:15:18

Any handy tips from non ironers, please?

Do you think that fabric conditioner helps smooth out creases?
I don't use it (much to grandsons disgust because his mums washing always smelled lovely) but I would, if it helped.

I have washed piles of clothes from a trip away, and they all mostly need ironing. sad

dragonfly46 Tue 23-Jul-19 22:26:58

I always take clothes from the line or drier and fold them very carefully smoothing out the creases. I have seersucker cotton sheets which do not show creases and stretch jeans. I have blouses that are non iron as are my DH’s shirts. That leaves very little to iron so only do it about once a month or for special occasions.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Jul-19 22:27:44

Can’t help Missadventure I don’t use fabric conditioner and I don’t iron (well rarely) I suppose I don’t wear anything linen or cotton I m sure I d have to if I had a husband or son at home with shirts though
Now that was no use whatsoever but I thought I d say something in passing x

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 22:35:46

Thanks. Appreciated. grin

These are only t shirts and Jersey type shorts, but they seem to be getting more creased lately. (It could be as I get more and more fed up with the constant washing!)

janeainsworth Tue 23-Jul-19 22:37:53

Fabric conditioner is a triumph of marketing over commonsense.

Hanging things up as soon as the washing cycle is finished, or as soon as you get them out of the tiumble dryer, if you use one.

Then fold neatly.

I use Ecover washing detergent & my laundry always smells nice.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 22:39:50

I haven't got a tumble dryer, so its constantly like widow Twanky's laundry in here!

annep1 Tue 23-Jul-19 22:40:08

I iron if I have to although I'm lucky as my husband loves ironing while listening to radio 4. I do most of my tops and trousers on the gentle cycle so they don't crease much. I hang everything as soon as the spin stops after shaking out well. This cuts down a bit on what needs ironed. Sorry thats the best I can do. Don't use fabric softener much except on sweaters in winter. Sometimes I send bedclothes to laundry to be ironed.

Missfoodlove Tue 23-Jul-19 22:41:47

Lowering the spin speed on your wash makes a big difference.

Mamissimo Tue 23-Jul-19 22:42:08

For anything polyester or jersey type I tend to not spin so much water out and then hang straight on a hanger, reshaping and smoothing as I hang the garments. One dry I fold.

Fabric conditioner helps to stop synthetics clinging and adds scent - I try to avoid it because it makes me itch!

Everything cotton or linen gets ironed so I invested in a team generator iron. Makes it much quicker if I overdry the items. Linen and cotton both benefit from being ironed damp and then aired.

I don’t think there are any shortcuts......but you can make choices about how much you iron. Whoever does the ironing calls the shots ?

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 22:45:40

Aha!
I could certainly reduce the spin speed.
This is quite a modern machine which takes ruddy hours to do a wash, unless I want a 30 degree short one, and that's not enough for our clothes.

KatyK Tue 23-Jul-19 23:03:02

I think fabric conditioner reduces creases.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 23:05:35

Oh, do you?
I haven't used it for a good few years, but hmmm...

ElaineI Tue 23-Jul-19 23:12:42

Always use fabric conditioner, rarely iron. Usually use 40 degree cycle as trained as infection control nurse and below that does not destroy organisms especially from underwear - not going to mention the obvious!

cornergran Tue 23-Jul-19 23:13:59

A shorter wash with a short spin seems to help with creases. Mostly a 45 minute wash at 40 degrees unless a white, towels or very mucky wash. We hang things straight from the machine which definitely reduces the need for ironing. Always iron cotton things, no linen here other than tablecloths and pillow cases embroidered by my ma in law many moons ago. We do use fabric conditioner, the sort for babies, I assume probably wrongly that it clears any washing liquid residue. It also smells nice smile.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 23:24:22

All of the wash cycles on this machine are at least 2 hours plus, apart from two short ones.
1 is 30 degrees, and one is 60 degrees.
All I want is a reasonable 40 degree wash.
Apparently this one is 'eco friendly'.

Esspee Tue 23-Jul-19 23:25:54

Ironing is really bad for the environment. <that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it>

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 23:28:55

Its really bad for me in this heat!
I've been slowly doing it, distracting myself by listening to a YouTube documentary about a man who was eaten by his pet lizards. smile

whywhywhy Tue 23-Jul-19 23:34:50

My mam always folded everything that was dry and when she came to iron them, they didn't take much ironing at all. There are worse things in life to dislike. Send them round here and I'll iron them for you, while having a gin and tonic.x

Farmor15 Tue 23-Jul-19 23:36:07

Can you get GS to iron his own things, if he wants them ironed? I stopped ironing my children’s clothes when they got to about 11. Some of them ironed their own, one never ironed anything and just wore them creased.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 23:37:31

Ooh, I wish I could.
I'd buy you a bottle of gin!
grin
One t shirt one pair of shorts left now, so I'm getting there.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 23:40:59

Oops. That was for whywhywhy.

Farmor I think I've more chance of building a rocket and flying off to the moon than getting 'little Lord Fauntleroy' to do it himself.
He would happily walk around like a tramp, but then it reflects badly on me, I think.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 00:33:30

In my 9 years of living here I have ironed 3 items and I do not have, need or want a tumble dryer or an electric rack (or whatever they are)

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 00:48:07

...nor do I have an outside washing line.
Friends don't believe that my clothes have never been ironed. I shake, smooth, hang and fold as appropriate. Jeans, towels, jumpers and heavy items dry in 2 days at most in winter. In summer it's less than a day for most clothes.
Open any drawer and every one is neat and tidy with clothes sorted and folded, clothes on hangers have plastic covers bought from eBay.
My AC are the same, especially the boys (men)

Minniemoo Wed 24-Jul-19 00:51:32

I find that clothes left on the line mostly need ironing. Especially when it's very hot. The drier eliminates the need for ironing. Can't recall the last time I did any

annep1 Wed 24-Jul-19 05:22:28

I know many people never iron but I honestly have clothes that would be too wrinkly to wear and my husband's shirts would not look good at all. I wouldn't feel comfortable in wrinkled clothes.