Gransnet forums

Chat

Avoiding ironing

(148 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 22:15:18

Any handy tips from non ironers, please?

Do you think that fabric conditioner helps smooth out creases?
I don't use it (much to grandsons disgust because his mums washing always smelled lovely) but I would, if it helped.

I have washed piles of clothes from a trip away, and they all mostly need ironing. sad

Hetty58 Thu 25-Jul-19 18:55:32

MissAdventure, I hope the results show you there's a life out there without ironing.
SirChenjin, I await your evidence. In the meantime, why take any risks with a totally unnecessary product that's also bad for asthma?

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 18:37:19

I can't wait to hear the result of your experiment MissAdventure

Nanny41 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:25:13

I am not keen on ironing but the things I do iron are shirts, towels, t shirts blouses.I have to admit I am thrilled when I have washing that doesnt need ironing,especially in this heat.
My Mum loved ironing,there was always a pile for her to iron when she visited ,and she loved it! I havent inherited that talent.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 16:00:27

How are the clothes looking Miss?

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 13:43:43

Right. I have just finished a wash with a reduced spin time, less clothes in the drum and a shorter wash with the temperature dial turned down.
Wet clothes are now on hangers, and ready to go out on the line.

Alexa Thu 25-Jul-19 12:16:06

Until I became less able one year ago I positively liked ironing at the spare bedroom window with a good view
Now I have to tailor what I do to what I can do I have discovered that ironing was a hobby not a necessity.

roo163 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:17:13

I don't iron, maybe very occasionally. I always fold carefully or hang on hangers straight from the tumble drier.
My husband irons his own clothes as he needs them.
I don't buy linen.

Fennel Thu 25-Jul-19 09:10:58

I've been avoiding ironing this week - It's still in the bathroom cupboard from Sunday.
Most of it belongs to husband, he wears white cotton shirts, and he has been doing some of the ironing recently, but not this week. It must be the heat.

4allweknow Wed 24-Jul-19 21:29:43

I've tried the hanging straight from the washer routine and whilst it does help reduce the creasing I hate the marks left from the drying screen. Even placed on hangers leaves dents or lines. Sorry but apart from gentle washing and spinning of manmade fibre clothing there is no alternative to ironing for me. My DiL doesn't iron anything and I hate seeing DGS going off to school with wrinkles in his clothes. I live it when I visit as I iron everything insight.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 24-Jul-19 21:20:39

Also taught my son to iron at 13 and he did and still does his own ironing. I don't use fabric conditioner as I can't see the point in rinsing your clothes of the washing powder/gel and then adding something with chemicals in it.

shirleyhick Wed 24-Jul-19 21:16:57

I use fabric conditioner as I love the scent and I also love ironing I find it relaxing.

rugbymumcumbria Wed 24-Jul-19 21:10:53

A Tumble Dryer is a non ironers best friend. I iron about 3 times a year, which I enjoy as it’s such a treat.

Grannyrebel Wed 24-Jul-19 20:20:35

Gave up ironing a few years ago when I discovered my D.I.L. doesn't do any. Still have to do the occasional shirt but most things are ok with a fold and a "hand iron".

SirChenjin Wed 24-Jul-19 20:04:50

Fabric conditioner isn’t carcinogenic grin

Saggi Wed 24-Jul-19 19:54:48

My daughter taught me what a futile waste of time and energy ironing is! When I think of the years I’ve wasted ironing bedding, underwear, t shirts, towels, t towels .... the only thing I will iron now is anything needed for wedding or funeral, and at the moment they don’t pop up every week. Hang up t shirts and shirts on hanger on line straight away, don’t leave wet washing in drum too long, and smooth and fold dry wash and straight into airing cupboard. My grandchildren Wear their school shirts un-ironed, and I’ve noticed , with these modern materials, that the creases drop out after five minutes of wearing! That’s one job I’m not sorry to see back of.

Hetty58 Wed 24-Jul-19 19:33:17

I don't use fabric conditioner as:

1) I'm allergic
2) It's carcinogenic

I use white vinegar instead (no smell when dry)
I only use the iron for the Christmas tablecloth!
I have no tumble drier, just dry things on hangers and shake them well first. There's a dehumidifier in the laundry room - much cheaper to run.

My kids did their own ironing asap.

My son has a Tefal clothes steamer and stand for smoothing out his tops - as he hates ironing too!

Gelisajams Wed 24-Jul-19 19:14:15

I too stopped ironing my teenage sons clothes including his school uniform after I had taught him how to iron them. He didn’t care how he looked and often went to school in creased non ironed shirts (who needs to iron when you are wearing a pullover?). These days he has a high powered job and always looks immaculate- he irons his own clothes even though he could afford to send them to a laundry or dry cleaners.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 24-Jul-19 18:40:40

Husband does it.

SirChenjin Wed 24-Jul-19 17:53:35

Oh definitely smile Ironing is a complete pain imo so anything that can reduce the burden is worth a go

MissAdventure Wed 24-Jul-19 17:48:52

Ah thanks.
I don't have a tumble dryer, but I think if I lower the spin speed, put less in the machine and take more care, generally, it'll pay dividends.

SirChenjin Wed 24-Jul-19 17:41:53

I hang up shirts on hangers or I drape things over the bannisters. I find that if I don’t overfill my tumble dryer, use the lower heat setting and remove items and fold them immediately while they’re still hot I don’t have to iron nearly as much.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Jul-19 17:36:09

Do you hang up on hangers?

SirChenjin Wed 24-Jul-19 17:31:53

I work full time and do the following- Lower spin cycle/fabric conditioner/tumble dry on low or hang stuff up immediately to dry/lower your standards and ignore the remaining creases/ensure DH irons his own shirts

MissAdventure Wed 24-Jul-19 17:10:57

wink
That's where I'm going wrong.

Paperbackwriter Wed 24-Jul-19 16:47:29

Staff, darling.