Gransnet forums

Chat

Avoiding ironing

(148 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 22:15:18

Any handy tips from non ironers, please?

Do you think that fabric conditioner helps smooth out creases?
I don't use it (much to grandsons disgust because his mums washing always smelled lovely) but I would, if it helped.

I have washed piles of clothes from a trip away, and they all mostly need ironing. sad

grizzlybear27 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:38:31

I have not ironed in over 40 years. I do wear organic cotton and linen. I use those dryer ball, and take out of dryer, and fold immediately. I have also learned to love that "crumpled" look. Life's too short to iron. DH shirts go to laundry.

BusterTank Wed 24-Jul-19 10:39:48

Buy clothes that the fabric doesn't need ironing , just a blow on the line . Also short spin the clothes in the washing machine and peg them out as soon has the machine is finished . I have cut my ironing down by three quarters . Good luck .

Kartush Wed 24-Jul-19 10:42:30

I havnt ironed in years, dont know if I still own an iron. Just hang clothes up straight from the line or dryer and as you get rid of clothes buy stuff that doesnt need ironing

JulieMM Wed 24-Jul-19 10:43:30

Many years ago when my mother-in-law was in hospital, I offered my dear father-in-law all possible help which he declined as I had 3 young children to look after. He did however ask me which way he should iron his socks! Such an independent soul smile

Katek Wed 24-Jul-19 10:45:21

Er....am I the only lazy toad who has an ironing lady? She’s done mine for over 20 years and is worth her weight in gold. She will also do some cleaning if I ask her - very helpful earlier this year when I broke my shoulder.

Froglady Wed 24-Jul-19 10:46:26

I just don't iron and I haven't for over 20 years. I consider it a waste of my time and energy. I do use conditioner when I wash things and maybe that helps things look reasonable. I know that some people love ironing, I'm just not one of them. I think if you don't want to iron, then just don't. If people complain about their clothes, show them where the iron and board is and let them get on with it.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:47:37

As much as I hate ironing........I iron everything including all bedding and even T towels if they have been "line dried" in dry weather, I do however draw the line at ironing underwear apart from boxer shorts!

It is already 30 degrees here and my job today is ironing including 1 complete king sized set of bedding and 3 singles!!!

HHBBNN54 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:47:51

I very rarely iron unless it is a very special occasion. I find even when you put something on and it is creased it soon drops out due to body heat. Otherwise just smooth things down when you put them away.

inishowen Wed 24-Jul-19 10:48:31

I no longer have to iron jeans. I take them out of the tumble dryer as soon as the cycle ends, and fold them while still warm. Even if I dry them outdoors I put them in the tumble dryer for 12 minutes and it still works.

Mistymorningstar Wed 24-Jul-19 10:51:42

Haven't ironed since my son left home, clothes conditioner i use simply as everything smells lovely especially bath towels. I fold sheets and pillows slips immediately after taking them off the line (have never used a clothes drier) and find that if i hang clothing up after they have dried - and just let it hang outside the wardrobe, they too don't require ironing. Regarding when my son lived at home, it was all shirts and trousers where front creases were expected. If you buy 100% cotton you may need to iron it - otherwise no need. I am obsessive about how i look so its not that i am overly casual in appearance.

Lilylaundry Wed 24-Jul-19 11:01:49

Send them to me.

We could come to an arrangement,

I do your ironing, you do my vacuuming, polishing, cleaning, etc.

Missiseff Wed 24-Jul-19 11:07:26

My husband does most of ours, except he won't do bedding or anything of mine that's got a frill or 'awkward' sleeve, other than that he does the rest

Jeanlizzie Wed 24-Jul-19 11:07:38

Where abouts are you ? Bring it to me i love ironing , strange i know but its so relaxing dashing away my probs with a smoothing iron

evansgg Wed 24-Jul-19 11:13:48

Find a friend who likes ironing but hates dusting and vacuuming. Swap

evansgg Wed 24-Jul-19 11:18:13

Trouble for me, I can't stand the smell of any conditioners. Some people must use far too much And I can smell it as I walk past their gardens. Luckily I quite like ironing.

granny4hugs Wed 24-Jul-19 11:25:01

I do not iron, never have. In fact it was only when my lovely dad died years ago and my mum insisted on giving me his travel iron and tiny travel ironing board that I owned one.
I avoid buying clothes that look as if they need ironing.
Trick with the ones I have - don't spin too long in the washer and then get them on the line when they are properly damp hang them 'into the wind' so - for example - shirts 'fill up' when the breeze blows.
Life's to short for ironing.
And - no - if you're wondering - I'm not some slip-shod slob. My home is neat and clean and devoid of clutter - I just have better things to do with my time.

EllieB52 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:37:29

I used to detest ironing and when I was working would send it all out to local ironing lady. It was worth it. Nowadays I do my own ironing but wouldn’t consider it without my steam generator. I’ve tried with and without fabric conditioner and I don’t think it makes much difference other than smell. I stopped using it because it gunges up the pipes. I’ve tried the hanging/folding technique but, for me, clothes just are not crisp enough. I am a bit OCD. I noticed that my new machine creases more than my old machine even though it’s a large capacity. Try putting less in each wash and try all the different programmes until you find one that works for you.

LJP1 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:39:43

Wash everything at 30oC, except towels, cloths, pants & handkerchiefs at 60oC.

Spin at 1400 and unload, shake and hang, without folding or on hangers, to dry.

Fold neatly. Works every time.

omega1 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:40:50

If you hang things up straight away from the washing machine and leave them you will find that the creases drop out. Its the same if you have been wearing something like a jacket - leave it hanging up and the creases drop out

grandtanteJE65 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:52:19

If you really don't like ironing, the only thing to do is to ignore the fact that some clothes look as if they should have been ironed.

After a while you will get used to the look of unironed clothes.

mabon1 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:55:37

Iron linen and cotton while it's still slightly damp

Glenfinnan Wed 24-Jul-19 11:56:13

I don’t mind ironing! Put on an Audible tape like ‘The Missing Sister’ by Dinah Jeffries which I’ve just finished listening to. ...and it’s done!!

JulesR Wed 24-Jul-19 12:00:46

My much hated job . I hang clothes straight off the line. However there is some that needed ironing found a lovely lady where I live and charges £12 for a basket and will hang or fold....use her when i need to. smile

Lilyflower Wed 24-Jul-19 12:03:52

Fabric softener definitely helps reduce creases.

Buy clothes which do not need ironing.

Get things out as soon as they have spun, shake out the creases and hang them up straightaway.

I have invented a thing called 'Lazyiron' whereby I never iron properly by the book but think about every garment and what I can get away with so that they look ironed but take 30 seconds. All T shirts get ironed on the front and flat. Ditto dresses. I have cut shirts down from four to three minutes by thinking it through and going quickly. Corners are cut but still the clothes look ironed. I listen to Radio Four Extra dramas as I iron too so it's a pleasure.

Maggiemaybe Wed 24-Jul-19 12:08:32

stopped ironing their knickers, jaylucy? Does/Did anyone ever do this? shock

I used to iron, back in the day. Usually to the Eastenders omnibus on a Sunday afternoon. Never bedding or underwear. My standards must have slipped even more since because I’m not even sure where our iron is. I just hang stuff up as soon as it’s dry, but also subscribe to the theory that creases will drop out anyway. DH does iron occasionally, but only “proper” shirts etc.

I’m pleased to say I’ve never had a gynae infection. smile