Gransnet forums

Chat

Hubby, grandbaby?

(168 Posts)
kittylester Wed 24-Jul-19 10:47:15

These words seem to have risen in popularity lately.

They are not words I would ever use and I wonder what brings words to the fore.

There must be loads of others that I haven't thought of.

kittylester Wed 24-Jul-19 16:16:47

My children had sleepovers and my grandchildren have sleepovers at our house.

Jane10 Wed 24-Jul-19 17:22:40

annodomini I know how how 'gotten' came about but can't bear it's use instead of eg 'has'. Its such a giveaway that a writer is American especially in novels supposedly set in UK.

BradfordLass72 Thu 25-Jul-19 07:35:19

Bathsheba I use 'betimes' a lot, in my diary mostly when I've gotten up extra early to go somewhere.

Jane10 'gotten' is Old English, in common usage when the Pilgrims went to the New World and took it with them.

Septemia 'Good' or 'I'm good' is the standard response in NZ and Australia.
Good means far more than a behavioural pattern if you care to look in the dictionary.

As in fact does 'gay' - which in my 30's dictionary is listed as "promiscuous and dissolute".

Grammaretto Thu 25-Jul-19 08:17:27

That's interesting BradfordLass
I cringe at all of those mentioned.
There's a nice woman I see who called me darling from the first day we met. She does it to everyone and I'll have to get used to it.
Grandbaby please no.
We host young people almost constantly who say : I'm good thanks.
Awesome. Unreal.
I don't hear gotten or neat much.

travelsafar Thu 25-Jul-19 08:23:45

'Rugrats' for tiny babies.

'Leavers do' for the end of term disco---- soooo American!!!!

I'm getting all 'emosh' When people well up at the drop of a hat and want everyone to know!!!!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Jul-19 08:49:35

Just thought of two more,

Hubster (husband)

Holibobs (holidays)

Maggiemaybe Thu 25-Jul-19 09:07:50

Some of them do set my teeth on edge, particularly fur babies, and especially when someone on Facebook finds one at the side of the road, sadly deceased.

Though leavers’ do sounds very English to me, not American, travelsafar. It reminds me of that wonderful 80s TV series, A Bit of a Do (all tickety boo...).

Callistemon Thu 25-Jul-19 09:20:32

I cannot bear 'grandbaby' or 'grandkids', 'kiddies' or hubby. I think 'grandbaby' is an American import but have a couple of friends who use 'hubby'.
I've been called 'hun' by one particular lovely person I know and will let her off!!

My DC had 'sleepovers' - that's OK, and leavers' do's.
But they used to have a friend over to play, not playdates.

DGS is 'good' hmm grin

BlueBelle Thu 25-Jul-19 09:21:05

‘Hubby’ makes my skin crawl so does better or other half fur babies oh don’t get me on that they are not effing babies as for the rainbow bridge OMG
Playdates, showers, hun, babes (to a grown woman from a grown woman yuk yuk yuk)
Most of them are so cringeworthy now there’s a good word

chelseababy Thu 25-Jul-19 09:29:41

Uni

sue01 Thu 25-Jul-19 09:32:58

Baby father. Hun. Babe. Bless.

And a new one cropped up yesterday... he did that from the get go... meaning... he's always done that.

vickya Thu 25-Jul-19 09:38:03

Grannygravy, you might have a pet, we had a little girl in a dog suit. We had her from 2 days old when we rescued her and bottle fed her every 2 hours, day and night. She almost spoke English and understood lots.

Also one male canine member of the awkward brigade and 2 feline members of the family who seemed to think they were dogs too.

DanniRae Thu 25-Jul-19 09:43:12

I dislike 'the misses' when used by a youngish man. Makes me cringe (and my son does it!).
Not a new word but I hate knickers being called 'panties'! - Oh I didn't even like typing that angry

Parsley3 Thu 25-Jul-19 09:47:04

Hubby has been popular for a long time although not with me. I wouldn’t want to be a wifie. ?
If I called my cat a fur baby, he would treat me with even more contempt than he already does.
Apart from that, I love the way language changes and develops according to the age.

Sara65 Thu 25-Jul-19 09:52:38

I agree with all the above, some of them, I’m pretty sure have never passed my lips!

DotMH1901 Thu 25-Jul-19 09:55:04

The only term that really irritated me was 'Earth mother'. When my DD had her first baby (GS) she took her full maternity leave after he was born and several of her friends were also off on maternity leave and they used to gather at DD house. If I was off work she would ask me along as well (to make the tea etc smile ) and they would all be congratulating themselves on being 'Earth mothers' because they were using terry nappies or similar and breast feeding not bottle feeding. Thank goodness we didn't carry on like that when I had my two children!!!

B9exchange Thu 25-Jul-19 09:56:30

'Laters' is the latest one for 'see you later'. First came across it in 50 Shades, so that is probably why I don't like it!

winterwhite Thu 25-Jul-19 10:15:41

Well, write me off because I'm certainly guilty of saying hun when talking to DH and ACs - as a sort of alternative to darling. Never have occasion write it down though and if I did might write hon.
Had never heard fur baby or grand baby until reading this thread. Horrid.
Dislike indiscriminate use of 'guys'; agree that kiddies and panties are cringeworthy, also - following Dannirae's line of thought - 'little boy's room'.

Grandmanotnan Thu 25-Jul-19 10:18:55

The phrase, beautiful inside and out, makes me want to ‘vom’! Fur babies, fur grand babies! Hun! So many more, maybe I’m just getting old

harrigran Thu 25-Jul-19 10:23:25

Furbabies makes my toes curl, when DD had cats they would have shown their disdain. They were monarchs of their realm and DD was a minion.
I loathe hun and hubby too.

Laurely Thu 25-Jul-19 10:28:23

Useful ones I've come across recently are 'grandcats' and 'granddogs'. Brief and instantly comprehensible. I have just read a Kate Atkinson Jackson Brodie novel set in Leeds, and the word 'kiddy' is used all the time. It is not gender-specific, so helps keep the mystery going, and now when I am in Leeds I realise it is indeed part of the dialect.

Guineagirl Thu 25-Jul-19 10:39:49

Women who call me Hun or Darl.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 25-Jul-19 10:49:25

All of the above
Plus
Grand dog
The get go ?

Muttimama Thu 25-Jul-19 10:53:16

[laughs]

grannytotwins Thu 25-Jul-19 11:07:01

A young widowed friend had her sad story published in a magazine and on the front cover they used the word hubby. It was all through the article too. She was fuming as she would never used that word for her DH. At least the money was a help!