Gransnet forums

Chat

Hubby, grandbaby?

(168 Posts)
kittylester Wed 24-Jul-19 10:47:15

These words seem to have risen in popularity lately.

They are not words I would ever use and I wonder what brings words to the fore.

There must be loads of others that I haven't thought of.

Nanny27 Sat 27-Jul-19 08:34:24

Also Maw how these are all in 'properties', never houses.

MawBroonsback Sat 27-Jul-19 08:56:28

Indeed! grin

Iam64 Sat 27-Jul-19 08:58:17

Oh yes 'properties', loathsome, pretentious nonsense. Our next door neighbours always refer to their small house and garden as 'our property', you'd think it was a mansion.

sodapop Sat 27-Jul-19 09:54:49

I like some of those programmes too
Maw but the commentary is so predictable and often pretentious.

TerriBull Sat 27-Jul-19 09:57:10

When they were children, my younger son, aged about 6, answered the door to one of his older brother's friends, I use the word "friends" loosely because they regularly fell out. Anyway, little bruv aware of the strained relationship, said to the fairweather caller "he's not here, now please get off my property" grin not sure where he acquired such terminology, not from us, but it all sounded very "Southfork" at the time.

annodomini Sat 27-Jul-19 09:57:58

If someone says 'see you later', I often reply, 'you probably will', especially if it's the checkout person in the supermarket.

Scribbles Sat 27-Jul-19 11:26:48

Nom nom makes me feel homicidal.

DanniRae Sat 27-Jul-19 12:04:09

Me too Scribbles - I couldn't believe that a cook book was called "A pinch of Nom". I don't care how amazing the recipes are I am never going to buy a book with such an annoying title! hmm

SueDonim Sat 27-Jul-19 13:58:43

'One of the only...' is another bug bear of mine. It doesn't make sense. It's either 'the only' or one of only x/y/z.

Sara65 Sat 27-Jul-19 14:07:34

I still don’t know what a lot of these things mean. Am I living a very sheltered life?

FarNorth Sat 27-Jul-19 17:45:57

Play park is an area with swings etc for kiddies to play in.
Park is an area of grass, trees etc without those things.

'Put our own stamp on' a 'property' is such a tedious cliché.

Callistemon Sat 27-Jul-19 17:55:32

Terribull grin

Florence64 Sat 27-Jul-19 17:59:52

I'm afraid I refer to my husband as my hubby and I call him 'Babe' (sorry) but I loathe fur babies, rainbow bridge, holibobs and grandbabies. I also can't stand hun, but I do call everyone Darling because I forget names so easily (yes I am that friend!) I also can't stand so when it's put before the answer to a question, i.e. "so I work in a bank" or "so I want to go to Spain" (on my holibobs) I've never been a fan of 24/7 or the word 'crate' used instead of 'create'.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Jul-19 19:00:14

When did boarding kennels or kennels become a pet hotel
Ohhh yuk a pet hotel for fur babies before they go over the rainbow blooming bridge Why can’t anyone call it was it is
Kennels, animals and death

SueDonim Sat 27-Jul-19 19:03:56

Terribull I have a vision of your 6yo answering the door with a cocked rifle at the ready! grin

M0nica Sun 28-Jul-19 15:48:52

I use the word 'betimes', although not 'I prithee' I use it as short hand if I'm leaving home and am not sure when I will get back, but I will not be that late. I say 'see you betimes' as I leave the house.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 10-Aug-19 15:19:07

Must admit I also cringe when I hear children referred as prince n princesses , don’t like the term other half . Can’t abide little dude.