Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogs now allowed in John Lewis stores - good idea or not?

(198 Posts)
SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 10:36:58

I'm on the 'not' side. I fully understand people love and adore their dogs and that they're part of their family, but I really don't want to encounter animals in a clothing store (or think about what they might leave behind envy <- not envy)

Our local garden centre cafe now allows them and the last few visits have been marked by loud barking and yapping, and on one visit 2 dogs decided to fight with full on snarling, rearing up (if you know what I mean) and barking and had to be pulled apart by their owners - not great. Quite took the edge off my cream scone enjoyment!

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 12:42:37

Katy - yes, Duncan Pickles is the dog who apparently wanted to go to JL for his 5th birthday, so his mum had tweeted John Lewis to check whether they would allow him to visit and choose his birthday present. I know she was trying to be funny, but for a lot of dog owners their 'furbaby' really does have human status.

I neither like nor dislike dogs (apart from the dangerous or poorly trained ones obviously - those should be banned from public places imo) but I just can't see the need for them in a clothes/homeware store. As POGS says, you can't stop them doing their business - and whilst I'm sure that the majority of owners would be mortified and pick up or clean up after them, the damage has still been done. Imagine trying on an outfit and realising a dog has peed on it??

SueDonim Thu 25-Jul-19 12:43:28

How odd. I don't mind dogs but they do seem to be absolutely everywhere now. I can't even think why you'd go shopping in JL with a dog in tow. Imagine looking for an outfit for a wedding or a new bed? What do you do with the dog while you're perusing the racks or testing out beds? hmm

Plenty of people, including my dh, are allergic to dogs so I can imagine law suits coming up in the future.

Atqui Thu 25-Jul-19 12:44:06

What an extraordinary idea. I wonder how dog owners will stop them peeing.

KatyK Thu 25-Jul-19 12:47:45

Thank you SirChenjin for the explanation. How bizarre.

Fennel Thu 25-Jul-19 12:52:26

Having had dogs when living in the country, where they could just be themselves, I feel sorry for dogs in towns. Especially if the owners are working all day and they live in a small flat.
But I understand they're wonderful companions for older/ disabled people.
As for John Lewis, I think they're having economic problems like many High St. stores. and maybe think this will attract more customers.

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 12:56:09

I was just thinking how dogs like to scent mark new places.
Lovely!

BlueBelle Thu 25-Jul-19 13:09:43

Horrid idea leave your dogs at home if you love them no self respecting dog wants to be dragged around shops and many customers don’t want dogs sniffing and dribbling around their clothes John Lewis must be in a very bad way to do this absolutely hate the idea of dogs in shops and I m NOT a dog hater at all but keep them where they belong on the end of a lead in the open air or at home but not in shops Hate the idea with a vengeance

sodapop Thu 25-Jul-19 13:24:55

None of my dogs would want to go round a department store, they would be unhappy and so would I. It's really not fair on other shoppers and those people who have allergies.
The woman who wanted her dog to go to John Lewis for his birthday was ridiculous or attention seeking. It's a no from me.

BBbevan Thu 25-Jul-19 13:49:35

Not a good idea. Only assistance dogs I would have thought. I shall not continue to visit the shop if there are lots of dogs there. Poor dogs

grannyactivist Thu 25-Jul-19 13:53:26

Oh dear - it does very much depend on the owner. If the dog has a responsible owner who has invested in training the dog then I would be quite happy with the idea of people being accompanied by a well behaved dog (though I can't imagine the dog would enjoy the experience). On the other hand I would be very bothered if owners brought in dogs that were untrained.

Lindylou51 Thu 25-Jul-19 14:21:25

A message to the woman who wanted her dog to go to John Lewis for his birthday - was the dog aware it was his birthday???? It beggars belief.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 14:24:31

Of course Lindy - apparently he's already been looking online hmmgrin

Grannybags Thu 25-Jul-19 14:29:45

SirChenjin grin

It's a no from me too. Ridiculous idea

jura2 Thu 25-Jul-19 14:31:16

Totally agree re NO dogs in stores - especially such with such quality furniture, carpets, etc, as John Lewis. Would never dream of even trying sad

Wheniwasyourage Thu 25-Jul-19 14:35:28

First time I see a dog in JL is the last time I shop there, and I will make sure I tell them before I leave. angry

Luckygirl Thu 25-Jul-19 14:38:59

"Furbaby" - oh, head in hands, groan, groan!

NanaandGrampy Thu 25-Jul-19 14:45:47

Duncan Pickles ‘Mum’ needs a stern talking too!!

How did he tell her he wanted to go to JL for his 5th birthday ?

The world has officially gone mad !!

lemongrove Thu 25-Jul-19 14:53:49

Out for a pub meal last week, there was a sudden warmth and wetness on my feet! No, I hadn’t wet myself grin
It was the snout of a dog that had crept under our table.A very wet snout/muzzle.
Dogs are not natural shoppers, why not leave them in comfort when out and about?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 25-Jul-19 15:02:58

I wouldn’t take my dog shopping at any time, as he gets bored stiff, just like a toddler then starts a deep rumble in his throat telling us he’s cheesed off.

If he had a choice, he would always choose to be with us though.

We have just come back from a walking holiday and spent most afternoons having leisurely lunches in some splendid eateries. He snoozed under the table with everyone being totally unaware of his presence. There was no way that we could leave him in the car he’d be dead within a few minutes.

I can’t get terribly exercised by the John Lewis thing though.
I am quite laid back by seeing animals in shops. Not bovered tbh

watermeadow Thu 25-Jul-19 15:09:00

One is not going to meet large, badly-behaved or anti-social dogs in John Lewis. One rather expects a nicely-groomed fluffy little pooch tucked under one’s arm.
Dear ladies, we are not speaking of Primark here (shudders).

KatyK Thu 25-Jul-19 15:11:03

My DH wants to know if the 'mum' speaks dog or the dog speaks English.

toscalily Thu 25-Jul-19 15:18:52

I do not have a dog myself but sometimes dog/house sit and If I want go shopping the dogs are walked before I go out then left at home while I shop. I would certainly let JL know that I did not like their new policy if I was there and saw a dog. What happens if you want to try clothes on, does the animal come into the changing room with you? Assistance dogs excepted of course.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Jul-19 15:21:08

grin Katy - I think they communicate by mind meld

I don't think they will necessarily be large or anti-social, more middle class free-spirits whose owners drive Land Rovers and park across 2 spaces in the JL car park (apologies to any LR drivers on here - I'm sure you don't park like that grin). The little pooches that are carried don't have to be on leads so if they wee (or worse) they'll do it on the owner's coat rather than the stock.

Caro6699 Thu 25-Jul-19 15:23:06

I love dogs and have two of my own but not sure that they would enjoy being in a shop full of strangers, or the shopping experience in general.
In this weather it must be hell for them
I think one of the reasons dogs get taken shopping with their owners is that they often cannot be left home alone .

Sara65 Thu 25-Jul-19 15:49:00

Gabriella

Exactly! Why in the world would anyone want to take dog shopping?

There is s place for dogs, but not in department stores, I shall definitely be avoiding John Lewis