Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, I've paid my entry fee........

(106 Posts)
phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 19:31:59

Evening, and sending good wishes.

This coming Saturday is our local Village Show! (Archers listeners, think Flower & Produce grin)

A few neighbours suggested that I should enter my hanging basket. Despite living in the village for 15 years, I have never entered anything before shock

Mr P made it very clear that he didn't want me to enter it, as he was sure it would be damaged in transit sad

So, with the deadline for entries approaching (Wednesday, 8pm) yesterday afternoon I trundled round to the show secretary's house, paid the fee and submitted my entry form!

I now only have to get it to the village hall.confused

Now, my hanging basket is BIG! 16" across and very heavy!

It has been suggested that the best option would be to hang it from a broom handle and get a couple of strong people to take an end each and carry it, as putting it in a car or van might result in damage.

My neighbours son is a big strong lad and has offered to help, but Mr P is flatly refusing to be on the other end.

I'm pretty determined to get it there, even though I probably don't stand a chance of even getting placed, the whole thing is VERY competitive!

Wish me luck in getting it there, and if I do, a bit more luck in the thing getting the judges approval!

Auntieflo Sat 27-Jul-19 15:58:20

Just caught up with the brilliant news. Well done Phoenix.
So all the finger, leg and eyes crossing helped?
So pleased for you.

glammanana Sat 27-Jul-19 16:10:11

So pleased for you phoenix lets have a new picture of the winning specimen now it is fully in bloom.
Bet your Mr P is secretly very proud of his green fingered wife get your sights on that Rose Bowl for next year.Well done you .winewine

annep1 Sat 27-Jul-19 16:22:21

Well done. Hurrah!?

Nannylovesshopping Sat 27-Jul-19 16:42:34

I love a happy ending?

bikergran Sat 27-Jul-19 16:42:49

Brilliant! well done smile (maybe again next year)?? smile

farview Sat 27-Jul-19 16:56:44

YEAHHHH!!!Well done pheonix... never doubted you...glass of something nice later to celebrate...????

annodomini Sat 27-Jul-19 16:57:18

Congratulations phoenix. It certainly looked good enough in your photo. You have green fingers! ?

POGS Sat 27-Jul-19 16:58:48

Phoenix

What did Mr P say?

More to the point did you say anything to Mr P? grin

I'm sure he was as chuffed as we are you won.

toscalily Sat 27-Jul-19 17:14:12

It looks really nice and, it was obviously well worth the effort of getting there. Congratulations.

Gran2028 Sat 27-Jul-19 17:31:22

GO GIRL!!!
Next year 2 classes...???

Well done...it's great fun isn't it??

Glammy57 Sat 27-Jul-19 17:36:29

Well done, Phoenix! ?

mcem Sat 27-Jul-19 17:44:56

Well done to you and your supporters!
(I mean your transport team not GN!)

callgirl1 Sat 27-Jul-19 17:59:18

Well done and massive CONGRATULATIONS Phoenix. Is there a photo of the winning basket along with it`s creator?

phoenix Sat 27-Jul-19 18:00:45

Thanks all!

The numpty that I am, forgot to take a photo of in situ at the village hall confused but hey ho!

BTW, it is now back home, safe and sound (Adrian found another bit of muscle to help) so Mr P is happy!

JoyBloggs Sat 27-Jul-19 20:57:22

Congratulations, Phoenix, it looked beautiful, a worthy winner! flowers

Anniebach Sat 27-Jul-19 21:08:10

Congratulations, so pleased for you x

trisher Sat 27-Jul-19 21:39:38

Congrats phoenix

Jomarie Sat 27-Jul-19 22:51:01

Oh WELL DONE - marvellous news - so pleased for you - definitely worth all the effort! grin

BradfordLass72 Sat 27-Jul-19 23:42:06

When I lived out in the rural Waitakeres, I had a wonderful hanging basket, much admired and copied.

It was "my own invention" but I'm pretty sure others will have done this before me.
Wish I could find the photos.

The top basket had the usual chains and hook which latched into the loop above the deck.

Then underneath it, hanging by widely space chains attached to the sides of the upper one, was a 2nd and then a 3rd beneath that. Forming a tower.

In the base of each, between the fibre outer cup and the potting mix, were baby's disposable nappies, a trick to conserve moisture given by an old gardener.

I used hydrogels as well; summers can be very hot here and if I was working all day, the baskets could dry out even if soaked in the early morning.

Best of luck with the competition - I like the idea of marching home accompanied by a brass band.

grannyactivist Sun 28-Jul-19 00:55:15

Well done Phoenix. flowers

BradfordLass72 Sun 28-Jul-19 07:31:45

Congratulations - buy a wheelbarrow to transport it next year smile you van always have the 'muscle with the pole supporting it at the top.

Charleygirl5 Sun 28-Jul-19 09:19:46

phoenix when you look at the basket of flowers today it will be in a different light= you must be chuffed and thinking it was well worth the effort.

Humbug to Mr. P - I hope he finishes the painting to your satisfaction. Very kind of the two lads to bring it home for you. Onwards and upwards to next year!

Luckygirl Sun 28-Jul-19 10:33:25

Oh well done! What did you win?

dragonfly46 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:02:54

Well done Phoenix!!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:19:36

Congratulations Phoenix ???