Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, I've paid my entry fee........

(106 Posts)
phoenix Thu 25-Jul-19 19:31:59

Evening, and sending good wishes.

This coming Saturday is our local Village Show! (Archers listeners, think Flower & Produce grin)

A few neighbours suggested that I should enter my hanging basket. Despite living in the village for 15 years, I have never entered anything before shock

Mr P made it very clear that he didn't want me to enter it, as he was sure it would be damaged in transit sad

So, with the deadline for entries approaching (Wednesday, 8pm) yesterday afternoon I trundled round to the show secretary's house, paid the fee and submitted my entry form!

I now only have to get it to the village hall.confused

Now, my hanging basket is BIG! 16" across and very heavy!

It has been suggested that the best option would be to hang it from a broom handle and get a couple of strong people to take an end each and carry it, as putting it in a car or van might result in damage.

My neighbours son is a big strong lad and has offered to help, but Mr P is flatly refusing to be on the other end.

I'm pretty determined to get it there, even though I probably don't stand a chance of even getting placed, the whole thing is VERY competitive!

Wish me luck in getting it there, and if I do, a bit more luck in the thing getting the judges approval!

merlotgran Fri 26-Jul-19 16:37:53

It's lovely, phoenix. Definitely a winner.

I would try putting a large bucket in a wheelbarrow with some soil in it to stop it sliding about then balance the hanging basket on top of the bucket. The trailing plants can be protected in the wheelbarrow by carefully placing them on scrunched up newspaper.

I think you'll need a strong person to push the wheelbarrow while you steady the basket. Other than that you could try chatting up a farmer with a fork lift truck!!

Is it far??? grin

phoenix Fri 26-Jul-19 18:54:21

Thank you merlot! I think the trailing bits might be better draped over the side of the wheelbarrow, if we did go down that route.

Not far at all, thank goodness!

Still don't think I stand a chance though, even if I do get it there!

I've been informed that they have a special stand for hanging baskets, just hope it's pretty robust and will take the weight without tipping over!

kathsue Fri 26-Jul-19 19:16:42

Good luck, phoenix. Do let us know how you get on.

phoenix Fri 26-Jul-19 19:24:43

Will do!

Have just been up the stepladder, checking for bits that need deadheading.

Transportation arranged, but I think the flat lobelia at the back!n could be a problem!I

Why am I so bothered? It's only the village show, not Chelsea!

farview Fri 26-Jul-19 19:31:02

I think it's a beautiful basket...also don't like symmetry...glad you've sorted transportation..just enjoy the day ?

annodomini Fri 26-Jul-19 19:54:46

Good luck with the transportation and for the contest, phoenix. It's a lovely hanging basket. If the logistics work this year, next year's effort will be a piece of cake. Won't it?

phoenix Fri 26-Jul-19 20:01:08

Next year!shock

anno this is my first year, and may well be my last!

PamelaJ1 Fri 26-Jul-19 20:04:29

I’d just like to point out that symmetry is sooo yesterday!
Why can’t you be at the other end of the pole?
Anything they can do....?

merlotgran Fri 26-Jul-19 20:14:04

Do you have another hanging basket with lobelia, phoenix?

You could do a last minute cheeky swap with the flattish one.

Callistemon Fri 26-Jul-19 20:22:24

Fingers and toes crossed for you phoenix!

phoenix Sat 27-Jul-19 10:03:06

Well, we got it there!

2 strong men and an iron bar, not a leaf or bloom damaged!

Pamela I'm not tall enough to keep it off the ground, the trailing bits are very long.

bikergran Sat 27-Jul-19 10:11:31

phoenix you have brought back little memories of when late DH and myself used to enter our local flower show.

Dh used to grow the giant Chrysanthemums, 3 in a vase and show them, also dalias.

I used to make corsages .

Its exciting when you all have to leave the room for judging and then go back in to see the results.

If we won anything (usually a little money) we used to celebrate with a chinese and bottle of wine.)

He managed to win Silver medals and was so chuffed smile

Good luck for today , we shall wait with baited breath smile

phoenix Sat 27-Jul-19 14:53:47

IT WON! grin

Missed out on the Bernard Vanstone Memorial Rose Bowl, as that went to the best exhibit in either the hanging basket or patio tub category, (the entry that won that was nothing special, imho!)

But feeling very chuffed!

Callistemon Sat 27-Jul-19 15:00:01

Oh! Well done, congratulations phoenix!

crown

merlotgran Sat 27-Jul-19 15:09:46

Congratulations phoenix. Now you have to to get it home ?

shysal Sat 27-Jul-19 15:11:45

Wow! Well done! flowers flowers

Septimia Sat 27-Jul-19 15:14:07

Well done!! Very satisfying after all that effort getting it there. Of course, next year you'll not only have to win the hanging basket class, but the Rose Bowl as well grin.

cornergran Sat 27-Jul-19 15:22:12

Congratulations phoenix, suspect Mr P may be proud, although he could well be in the dog house for saying you shouldn't do it. Safe trip home.

Calendargirl Sat 27-Jul-19 15:28:57

??

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Jul-19 15:29:45

If you and the plant ever get home I would suggest to Mr. P he fixes his own supper, you are flushed with success. That is really really good and was well worth all of that effort.

MiniMoon Sat 27-Jul-19 15:32:56

Fabulous result Phoenix. Well done. All the hard work and planning was worth it.

GillT57 Sat 27-Jul-19 15:35:41

well done!! Now to start planning the planting of next year's basket. Will you be able to cope with your local celebrity status? Being mobbed in the Co-op?

phoenix Sat 27-Jul-19 15:39:37

Thank you all!

The basket was just randomly planted for the house, no thought of the show (lived in the village for 14 years and never bothered) it was my neighbour that suggested that I enter it.

Now, hopefully the chaps that got it there will get it back home again!

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Jul-19 15:42:38

I hope Mr. PP is hiding his head in shame.

phoenix Sat 27-Jul-19 15:49:43

No, Charleygirl he's painting the "dining" section of the kitchen!

However, he is pleased, but still won't get involved, so transporting it back home will fall to me and the lovely chaps that got it there!