Gransnet forums

Chat

Polite request 're posting style

(57 Posts)
phoenix Sat 27-Jul-19 19:05:55

Hello all,

Please may I politely ask for more use of paragraphs?

I know of at least one GN member with sight problems, and they have told me that they find posts much easier to read when they are separated into paragraphs.

I would like to go a step further, (if I may) and suggest a double space between paragraphs, it does make it easier on the eye when reading!

Thank you.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jul-19 19:09:54

Is your real name Rees Mogg????

Of course I will comply with your request though it was made so politely.

Cheers

petra Sat 27-Jul-19 19:32:58

Phoenix
Thank you for bring this subject up. It has been requested before but posters choose to ignore the polite request.
When I see these posts without paragraphs I don't read them.

Framilode Sat 27-Jul-19 19:36:44

I totally agree Phoenix. When I see a thread that appears interesting and then click on it I find it very off putting when there are no paras. It is so difficult to read that I usually give up. I also agree about the double spaces between paras.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Jul-19 19:43:02

Er...? Why is it ok to ask that paragraphs be used but not ok to ask that people put full stops and commas to make the text easier to read smoothly?

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Jul-19 19:44:30

Discrimination writ large...in my book.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jul-19 19:46:14

Ones a request made very politely and yours is often an underlying criticism which annoys people. Perhaps you need to brush up on your politeness gene?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jul-19 19:51:23

Are you going to dare to correct my post??

phoenix Sat 27-Jul-19 19:59:42

Oh GabriellaG54 (I have taken the trouble to address you in your preferred style, as in one of your threads) but, please, just get over yourself and realise that other users of GN might be better able to use this forum with just a little bit of consideration as to spacing etc?

I'm not one of them, but I do know of that at least one member who finds it much easier to read posts if paragraphs and spacing between them are used.

KatyK Sat 27-Jul-19 20:00:12

I never think to put paragraphs in.I just blabber on. blush

phoenix Sat 27-Jul-19 20:12:46

Whitewavemark2 no!

kittylester Sat 27-Jul-19 20:14:30

I agree with phoenix.

Some people (eg those who are dyslexic) like lots of 'white' space in posts!

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jul-19 20:14:53

i can pritti much cope with anyfink xept txt speak like wot the kids do. do u get wot i meen?

annsixty Sat 27-Jul-19 20:16:16

So much more to worry in about in my life.

Sorry.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Jul-19 20:31:27

I texted my grandson last night to see if he was ok and the answer I got back was ‘Yh g’ apparently that means ‘yeah good’
Sorry gone off piste but yes I agree paragraphs help

merlotgran Sat 27-Jul-19 20:36:56

I agree about the paragraphs. I lose interest in long blocks of text.

I also don't mind threads about unimportant topics because they takes my mind off more worrying stuff.

Joelise Sat 27-Jul-19 20:41:41

merlotgran I agree , if I see a block of text , I really can’t be bothered !

GillT57 Sat 27-Jul-19 20:46:20

I agree. Even if the post initially seems interesting, if it is a long rambling one without paragraphs I generally don't bother reading it. Also get irritated by huge swathes of cut and pasted articles (usually propoganda) but appreciate that it is sometimes necessary to illustrate a point. grin

merlotgran Sat 27-Jul-19 20:46:40

they takes my mind off more worrying stuff.

I didn't intend to sound like Clarrie Grundy. grin

Grannybags Sat 27-Jul-19 20:51:29

As I've just said on another thread, I was taught to type and leave two spaces for paragraphs.

I'm happy to do so!

Grannyknot Sat 27-Jul-19 20:52:40

Dear Phoenix and other interested parties,

Unless you are effing and blinding or demanding, all requests are polite smile.

Therefore I request that it be considered that the subject of this thread be amended forthwith to read Request re posting style.

I remain,

Yours faithfully,

(Knot).

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Jul-19 21:12:02

Of course phoenix
There is nothing for me to 'get over'.
I wholeheartedly agree with double spacing as per your request and I mentioned the lack of punctuation as I and some others on here, at one time or another, have mentioned the difficulty in reading long comments sans paragraphs and any form of punctuation.

This, when I have raised the question, has elicited verbal abuse from some posters and resulted in deletion and warnings from GNHQ.

I cannot see why one request is acceptable and the other is not.
It's not an argument. I asked 'why?' in a perfectly reasonable manner.

May I also ask what was the point of mentioning that you bothered to use my full moniker?

I can see that you did and thank you very much indeed confused
however, I never shorten anyone's site name but I don't remind them of my ability to type a few extra characters.

annep1 Sat 27-Jul-19 21:15:19

Seems reasonable enough.

Gonegirl Sat 27-Jul-19 22:02:02

Type wot you like how you like I say.

This thread will be here today and gone tomorrow anyway. hmm

Gonegirl Sat 27-Jul-19 22:05:54

The comma in the air is in the wrong place. In the thread title. Btw.