Gransnet forums

Chat

Lifesize dolls for elderly residents

(136 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 28-Jul-19 09:34:17

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-49111534

A good idea? - or not?

Minniemoo Sun 28-Jul-19 11:07:24

My mother had vascular dementia. I think she'd have taken one look at these and been mildly interested. Something different to look at and one would assume the people on 'tour' would also chat with the patients. Or residents as I think we're supposed to call them. One of the ladies in my Mum's home had a baby doll which Mum found awful. However, a life sized puppy in a basket which 'breathed' was her pride and joy as she sat and stroked him for hours on end. He sits in my bedroom now.

Witzend Sun 28-Jul-19 11:09:05

My mother's (dementia only) care home had an area with a proper cot and life size baby dolls.
Can't say that my mother ever showed any interest - maybe she'd had enough with 4 of her own! - but I'm sure others did.

Unless there's dementia, though, I can't imagine this being a 'thing'. It would IMO seem very patronising.

Alexa Sun 28-Jul-19 11:10:28

I'm not in a care home but I might be some day. Even now whenI can get out and about the reason I visit Gransnet is the dearth of people my own age who are intellectually and experientially lively as Gransnet posters.
I'd be very lucky if I found such in any care home!

polnan Sun 28-Jul-19 11:20:05

I agree with MOnica

Sam1965 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:26:18

It’s a doll ...
that brings comfort to many ...
If properly done they are beautiful

Sam1965 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:28:08

I wouldn’t like a pet doll ..

Barmeyoldbat Sun 28-Jul-19 11:28:46

Not a bad idea, I found that when I was working in a nursing home doing activities with the residents, if anyone came in with a baby they played pass the baby.

Pittcity Sun 28-Jul-19 11:36:31

The adult size ones are much more creepy than the babies..

starbird Sun 28-Jul-19 11:54:50

When they are available, a life like robot dog and cat - perhaps more than one, would be great - able to walk and go up to a resident who is sitting, and put their head in their lap to be stroked. Residents who don’t like dogs or cats could wear a bracelet tuned to keep the robot away from them. Like robot cleaners and mowers, they would be programmed to keep a distance from anyone on their feet, to avoid accidents - just be mobile when people are sitting. The cats could even purr!
People in homes should all have access to and be encouraged to enjoy the garden, ideally they should all have sensory areas and no poisonous plants. They could help by pulling up weeds and dead heading, and perhaps planting some annuals in the spring, but it would need a member of staff or experienced volunteer to always be around. Washing up would just mean loading a dish washer, probably not practical to let residents in the kitchen. I expect many (women) would enjoy the occasional browse around the shops - but would have to be accompanied. Suitable man/woman power is the problem if there are no family/friends around.

grannybuy Sun 28-Jul-19 11:56:45

Sadly, the staffing level is not sufficient enough, at times, to supervise care home residents while they are being allowed to carry out certain domestic or hobby related tasks. I currently visit a care/nursing home daily, and the onus on the staff to ensure the safety of residents at all times is, understandably, very great. As a result, allowing residents independence can be somewhat curbed, unfortunately.

grannybuy Sun 28-Jul-19 11:59:44

It would be worthwhile to 'experiment' with dolls/figures. If they were available, residents could make their own choices.

Sara65 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:03:27

Gonegirl

Sorry, thought that’s what we were talking about, and I was only talking about dementia patients, I agree it would be patronising otherwise

Sandigold Sun 28-Jul-19 12:04:45

This is an exhibition to spark conversation. Looks good. Not the same as people having life size dolls all the time which does sound rather sad and weird.

Willow500 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:09:12

Mixed feelings about this. My elderly aunt (who didn't have dementia) had a doll she used to dress and sit and cuddle. As I've always been more of a teddy sort of person I thought it was a bit odd and so did my mum so when my mum went into care I don't think she would have been very interested in a newborn doll but there were several residents in there who I think would have been. I do think they help in some cases.

If it was me I'd like one of the curled up replica cats you can get now to sit on the end of my bed - I'd get one now but think my real cat would be unimpressed with an imposter.

starburst12 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:09:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

inishowen Sun 28-Jul-19 12:12:02

I find it a bit patronising too. Just because you're old doesn't mean you haven't had an amazing and interesting life. Get them chatting about that and showing photos of their youth.

RosieLeah Sun 28-Jul-19 12:17:32

How very sad. There was a thread not long ago which featured life-size dolls being taken for walks by seemingly normal people. I thought it was a hoax. Apparently not.

I suppose it might help those with dementia, perhaps something to focus on is what they need.

TwiceAsNice Sun 28-Jul-19 12:22:10

I find the new born dolls very creepy. In fact I find all doll and puppets really creepy, hate them.

If the idea is for company what about regular visits from therapy dogs or other animals if preferred.

nipsmum Sun 28-Jul-19 12:24:24

I nursed the elderly for almost 30 years and this was never a question. My sister is in a nursing home now and would be absolutely horrified if someone gave her a doll to hold. She was a nursery nurse and loves babies and children visiting but a doll no not at all.

grannygranby Sun 28-Jul-19 12:24:54

I so agree M0nica. and ...'how much pleasure they could bring to elderly ladies'
get me outa here. oh dear oh dear oh dear.

BlueBelle Sun 28-Jul-19 12:37:37

I think it all depends on the state of mind when my mum had her doll she was totally unable to do anything other than make baby talk she couldn’t speak properlyor make herself understood she couldn’t walk, or eat by herself couldn’t hear, couldn’t see much I think holding and touching and stroking, kissing something was a huge comfort for her of course it doesn’t take away human contact and I visited her every day after work
Of course if she’d have been mentally efficient it would have been patronising and completely wrong but there is a place for dolls
Not so sure about the life size ones if they are used to admired the workmanship and encourage conversation fine but just sitting there then no

NaughtyNanna Sun 28-Jul-19 12:42:03

ALL homes are assessed on how they practice individualised care with people. This includes encouraging and facilitating independence and also offering different options for care, comfort and activities, then ensuring what happens is the individual's choice.
I've seen many an unhappy resident with dementia find huge comfort in a baby-size doll, with or without a pram or moses basket.
I personally have mixed feelings about the life size groups in the article but if people find them interesting and / or comforting or helpful for jogging peoples' memories and provided they have proper choices, then surely care workers should go for it.

tavimama Sun 28-Jul-19 12:55:13

For what it is worth, I buy and dress baby dolls and donate them to local care homes. To date they have been gratefully received and much loved by those patients who choose to adopt them.

I pay for the dolls, and the yarn I knit with, out of my own pocket, and do it with love.

I certainly don’t laugh at any resident who ‘loves’ one of my dolls. And I am told the recipients are much comforted by having a focus.

I hope someone might provide something of comfort to me, should I ever need it, in my dotage.

GabriellaG54 Sun 28-Jul-19 13:18:46

Oh no.
Too weird.
Yuk.

Chinesecrested Sun 28-Jul-19 13:28:07

I used to take my puppy in and the residents loved her. I don't know about dolls though.