(136 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 28-Jul-19 09:34:17

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-49111534

A good idea? - or not?

Sara65 Tue 30-Jul-19 10:05:05

Lovetopaint

It breaks your heart anyway

crazyH Tue 30-Jul-19 10:20:09

Why dolls? Why not take real babies and let the patients have a cuddle? But keep a watchful eye, because if the babies are anything like my little 'sumo wrestler', they will be difficult to handle.

Sara65 Tue 30-Jul-19 10:58:23

We had two babies in our family which coincided with my mother in law being in a home, oddly she had little interest in them, never really understanding who they belonged to, but many of the residents would fight to get at them, I don’t really think you could have trusted them to hold the babies, maybe very new ones who couldn’t wriggle

moggie57 Tue 30-Jul-19 20:45:08

i agree re-born dolls .ugh.......

grannyactivist Wed 31-Jul-19 00:27:18

Back to the OP; I think the general idea is sound. They're not dolls to play with; the figures are given 'identities' and are meant to spark conversations amongst the residents of a group of care homes. Anything that provides opportunities for residents to converse is usually a good thing in my experience. In my care home we have a resident cat, along with pet rabbits and several guinea pigs and we also have regular visits by donkeys, dogs, babies, pre-schoolers, schoolchildren, local churches, music groups, choirs, drama groups etc. - and me. I host an afternoon discussion group each week.

It does sadden me to read of Gransnetters negative experiences or perceptions of care homes though. Tomorrow I'm conducting the funeral of a resident who was a wonderfully intelligent, flamboyant character, but neverthelesss was very happy in the care home where she spent her last four years. She enjoyed a wide range of interests right to the end of her 90 years and her daughter is delighted that the staff never lost sight of her as a person.

Sara65 Wed 31-Jul-19 07:05:53

Grannyactivist

Nursing homes, especially for dementia patients, always get a bad press, but there are probably hundreds out there who do a marvellous job

When looking for one for my husbands mother, we decided on the one where they said anyone was free to visit at any time at all, it definitely wasn’t the poshest, but it was small and friendly, and the staff were always kind.

I can’t go as far as to say it was a happy place, some of the residents were very vocal, and could be nasty, others were so sad, one lady walked around with her suitcase all the time, waiting to be collected.

So anything that makes life a little bit more interesting, or sparks a happy memory, has to be good

BlueBelle Wed 31-Jul-19 08:28:24

Ann I the only one every time I read this title on my active list I think of another type of lifesize doll

sodapop Wed 31-Jul-19 08:37:35

BlueBelle gringrin

Minniemoo Wed 31-Jul-19 08:39:20

Ha! Ditto, BlueBelle. I had to read the article!

GracesGranMK3 Wed 31-Jul-19 08:46:32

GrannyActivist, your home sounds very like my mother's except for the livestock. There is a great deal going on but my mother chooses not to take part. Some months ago we were talking about the activities and she pointed out that she never was a joiner - she was right, she wasn't. But she enjoys the children who visit, the dogs who visit and the group of regular visitors who pop in for a chat. Sometimes it takes her a while to put them in some sort of "slot", which she may get wrong but the happiness, kindness, and feeling that others care definitely stays with her. She is heading for 99 and often tired. Like everyone in the home she is seen as having a right to choose and is given such care. I'm not sure what more we could ask for other than more knowledge of the Dementias so others may not suffer from this dreadful disease.