Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby names!

(162 Posts)
Witzend Tue 30-Jul-19 19:07:24

Dd and SiL are expecting no. 3 - bit of a surprise baby! - in early January. They already have one of each, so for once they opted to know the sex - a girl.

Today I've been trawling through names to try to help, since whichever name one of them really likes, the other doesn't because there was a nasty little baggage at school, etc. etc. And dd is getting in a tizz that they'll still be dithering at Christmas.

And it's got to be something that won't date, not twee or trendy, or celeb-ish, or that nobody's ever heard of, etc.

I've been looking at the baby names threads on MN - not much help there - either rejected already or too 'younique' for dd and SiL.
So difficult!

nettyandmasey Thu 01-Aug-19 10:40:42

My daughters are called Kaya and Danika her twin is Martyn. My granddaughter Alanna, Elsbeth and Charlotte. My grandson is Harry and to our surprise the only one in his class! So we have the mix of traditional and unusual. My son’s partner is Raffaella and her son is Camden. Plenty of time yet to choose

Magrithea Thu 01-Aug-19 10:47:42

I agree with others - it's up to the parents!! We had a 'shortlist' when each of ours were born but didn't name them until they arrived. We changed our eldest son's name as we realised (after I'd called my parents) that our children would have the same names as a couple we were good friends with!!

GrandmaCornwall Thu 01-Aug-19 12:05:39

We chose Joann for our daughter as spelt in the Collins English dictionary (Joanne was the French way to spell it apparently ). We then had to explain there was no e, no a, no h in it! It turns out only Americans spell it this way ?‍♀️
I thought we could not go wrong with an English name. ?
Our son’s 3 letter short name was always lengthened to a much longer name and our second daughters name was spelt with an f in the middle instead of ph. All were given a traditional middle name to use instead if desired.
Our GS was called Teddy for his first five years and asked to be called Edward when he went to school ! It was very hard for us older folk to change back to his given name?.

Nvella Thu 01-Aug-19 12:11:59

Sarah 65 - David Mitchell and Victoria Coren called their daughter Barbara

Sara65 Thu 01-Aug-19 12:18:21

Nvella

Oh really? Maybe it’s making a comeback then

Callistemon Thu 01-Aug-19 12:18:22

I think that Frank Lampard and Christine called their baby daughter Patricia (same era as Barbara).

MissAdventure Thu 01-Aug-19 12:23:24

Just reminding people that as the forums are open and able to be seen by anyone, you may want to be careful about posting identifying details.

Callistemon Thu 01-Aug-19 12:32:56

A good reminder, MissAdventure.

Bugbabe2019 Thu 01-Aug-19 15:35:07

My daughter is Alice ?

Merseybelle2 Sat 03-Aug-19 09:10:44

Gosh there are some lovely names on this thread ! I must say I like the traditional names myself but a name that suits the child is best ( expect you’d need a crystal ball for that one ! ) The last time I was in London I passed a small child who had been caught short and was urinating in the gutter watched over by his very smartly dressed and posh mother. His name apparently was Paris. It still make me laugh as he didn’t match my vision of a Greek hero smile

Gizzy48 Thu 08-Aug-19 13:33:46

In the 70s I called our firstborn Chloe. when I first got together with my second husband it turned out his first, 2 years older than mine, was also Chloe. It was a very rare name in the 70s, nobody could spell or pronounce it - we got Cleo and something that sounded like Schloer, and often spelt Chole ("Oh, I knew there was an H in it somewhere" - yes, but not an O before the L, just try saying it!"

Thirty years later ands everyone was calling their little girl Chloe. But ours are in their 40s now, and have "youthful" names.

Over thirty years ago an 11-year-old girl I was teaching said "I think it's WICKED to call a baby something like Margaret" (pronounced with great disgust). I told her gleefully that it was my middle name.

Names for babies that will become adults one day: my mother, in the 50s, said she thought it was awful to call a baby Wendy because she regarded it as a baby name and a grown-up Wendy would just look silly.

And what seem currently like hideous old ladies' names must once have been thought nice for a new little girl. In Victorian novels and dramas the beautiful young daughter of an aristocratic family was likely to be the Lady Agatha.

My dog is called Gertie. After our house number (Basil Brush's friend was Dirty Gertie from Number Thirty). Haven't seen that coming back, though I was quite surprised I hadn't noticed at the time that the little sister in ET is called Gertie!