Gransnet forums

Chat

Moaning thread

(544 Posts)
Lessismore Wed 31-Jul-19 22:22:15

The weather is awful, it's not even August and the nights are drawing in. My husband has an irritating cough and the cat has disappeared.

DanniRae Sat 31-Aug-19 08:57:24

We were having guests for dinner last. I'd sliced the leeks, chopped the bacon rashers (Mr R did this), made up the stock to reheat, weighed out the risotto rice and the lemons were ready to be zested - then they cancelled - by text!
It really was a case of it being unavoidable but, privately I was mad as h*ll.
So I froze the sliced leeks and the chopped bacon, put everything else away and we had egg and chips instead grin
Just felt I had to have a moan about it!

GagaJo Fri 30-Aug-19 23:45:38

Back to bloody work Monday. I mean, I've worked half of this week anyway. But back to OFFICIAL work. With students. Urgh!!!!

BradfordLass72 Fri 30-Aug-19 23:24:37

Brunette10 I'm afraid I'd sink like a stone to well below her level and surreptitiously put a tin tack under her tyre.

SparklyGrandma I numbed mine with an ice cube so there was no pain and no blood to speak of but do make sure everything is well disinfected. Wouldn't want you to end up with a slaughterhouse like MissAdventure - or an infection.
And try Tea Tree Oil for keeping them at bay.

Going for a lie down now
There you are Namsnanny it did earn you a peaceful moment, posted or not. It's the funny, witty thought that counts grin

And I know a joke about that phrase as well!

SparklyGrandma Fri 30-Aug-19 22:31:51

Namsnanny ?

Namsnanny Fri 30-Aug-19 14:31:45

This is a moan about a moan really. So do I get extra points or vouchers to cash in for ‘peaceful’ moments some time soon? NO doesn’t work like that you say....
Ok I’ll just tell it short then!
I wrote a post (really brilliant it was, if I say so myself)
Took out all mistakes, rectified all grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. Modified my horrendous language for something more ladylike, sat back with a self satisfied sigh, and promptly hit close by mistake and lost every witty (well I thought sowink) word.
So now im feeling exhausted and empty headed (can’t come up with a syllable apart from ahh!)
And haven’t the energy to say what it was that I wanted to moan about in the first place.
Going for a lie down now.

Auntieflo Fri 30-Aug-19 11:58:07

I've just caught up with this thread, apt, as I used cotton in the past, to wind round skin tags, and let then wither away.
I don't think I am brave enough to cut them off, apart from the fact that I take Apixaban, and the blood would be like a massacre!
Moans, not really got one at the moment, if I do, I will be back.

petra Fri 30-Aug-19 10:32:58

GranyGravy
Have you got any indoor plants?
Could be that what you call 'fruit fly' are coming from the soil. I had the problem once and a gardening friend put me onto the problem.

It's not often that I have something to moan about but this 'incident' had me apoplectic.

A couple of days ago went to pick up 2 new pairs of shoes from pick up point.
Produced id and emails.
Assistant tells me computer says no!
I ask what do I do.
contact them

Home I go and and there was an email * thanking me for using that pick up point* The air was beyond blue now!!!

Ok. Back to pick up point with 'thank you' email.
Half way down the road my shoe decided to break!!

Back home. Change shoes. Back to pickup point.
Now comes the next problem. You can only pick up parcels on the same counter where people are paying for their goods.

I think you've got the picture now. The manager just gave in and gave me lovely new boots and sandals ?

SparklyGrandma Fri 30-Aug-19 10:16:37

Thank you GagaJo a sharp scissors and plasters on my shopping list...!

GagaJo Fri 30-Aug-19 10:10:31

SparklyGrandma, YES! No need to suffer them. I saw a nurse do a couple once and there was nothing to it, so I had a go myself once. No problemo!

SparklyGrandma Fri 30-Aug-19 10:07:41

People cut their skin tags off? I thought we just had to put up with them!

Another moan, during re wiring my home, I will, all that day, have no electricity, no internet, no kettle, no heating, no tv or radio.

I can see I will have to buy a radio with batteries ?

DanniRae Fri 30-Aug-19 10:03:04

GG13 - when I had a fruit fly infestation I made up a similar mixture (with washing up liquid floating on top - can't recall why?) but I made some stiff card into a cone and put over liquid - pointy side inside container. The theory being the fruit flies are attracted in but can't get out! It worked a treat.

GagaJo Fri 30-Aug-19 09:42:45

I'm all for clipping off skin tags Bradfordlass and MissAdventure. I find that done with REALLY sharp scissors, mine only sting a tiny bit. Next to no blood too.

I also enjoy removing milia, those annoying little hard white spots. You have to split the skin over the top of them (that DOES sting a bit) and then squeeze them out. I did three from my forehead last week, then had to go out with a bright red forehead and three tiny cuts. Meh. I'm not vain.

Esspee Fri 30-Aug-19 09:35:45

OH had a mild strop when I told him I was working this weekend (he wants me to retire completely). Decided to go and visit his daughter rather than stay home without me.
Well I've just dropped him at the station and will now spend the rest of the day doing all the things I want to do, eating when and what I want and on Saturday and Sunday I'll earn enough to go on a wee holiday next month. So for me it is a moan/win situation. He moans, I win!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 30-Aug-19 09:26:14

I have a plague of what I think are "fruit flies" I detest the little blighters!!!!

Have a bowl of vinegar and sugar covered with perforated cling film in the kitchen, managed to trap 6 overnight, but I now have them upstairs!!!!

Should I just put bowls everywhere and turn my usually fragrant house into "a chippy smelling dwelling"??

Mr.Gravy can just about walk due to his swollen bunions which he refuses to get done as some stupid doctor told him it would be a painful operation.........so he is sitting with feet up with ice packs on both, and totally ignoring mine and packet instructions for ibruprofen tablets and taking them on an empty stomach, flipping men!!!!!

Brunette10 Fri 30-Aug-19 09:18:16

Marydoll, I know why should I have to move my car, however it's the same this morning, she has not relented at giving up 'her' bit of the road whatsoever. I did move my car yesterday and DH away out at the moment in it so will prob move to the same spot which is around the corner, out of my eye's view but one of us has to be responsible and not cause upset to anyone else so I will be that responsible one. They are the 'strange' ones in our street that I suppose every street may have. I won't come down to her level, we get on with all our neighbours, they don't.

BradfordLass72 Fri 30-Aug-19 07:25:30

grin

MissAdventure Thu 29-Aug-19 23:48:03

grin
Oh I love that, Bradfordlass.
I have a book somewhere, which is full of those kind of bloopers. grin

Anyway, I came here for a moan, and moan I shall.

I filled up my vape tank, sat down with a cup of tea, ready to have a lovely vape.

Scratched my head and it felt lovely, so spent a long time massaging my head and running my fingers through my hair (nobody else to do it!)

Swig of tea, inhaled on my vape and got the taste of old socks.. vape tank empty.

Where had the liquid gone?
Well, I hadn't closed the vent when I filled it, and it was in my hand when I first scratched my head.

So I had emptied on my head and massaged it all in.

Marydoll Thu 29-Aug-19 23:47:53

?
Thank goodness, I haven't quite reached that point.......yet!

BradfordLass72 Thu 29-Aug-19 23:39:26

Marydoll

Reading your post put me in mind of the old lady who write to her son....

'Dear Sid,
I'm having all my teeth out today and a new bathroom put in...'

jennilin Thu 29-Aug-19 10:30:21

Why does my dh slurp all his drinks and why does he blame me for all the stuff he loses grrr!!

Marydoll Thu 29-Aug-19 10:25:27

Brunette, why should you move, if she is the one causing the obstruction?
I wonder if she is making a point about the delivery lorry.
Some people are like that.

When we had our extension built last year, our neighbours were great, despite all the comings and goings, they never complained..
It will all be worth it when it is finished.

My moan, I'm off to the dentist, which I hate going to. My mouth is full of ulcers, a side effect of my medication. I suspect that there will be a lot of prodding and poking to make sure nothing untoward is going on. ?
I am never phased by any of my hospital encounters, but I just hate going to the dentist.

If it's any consolation *Callistemon, my husband has a huge zit on his neck, I so want to burst it! (Sorry for being so gross! blush )

Callistemon Thu 29-Aug-19 09:25:15

This is all making the big zit on my chin and the other by the side of my ear seem wholly insignificant.

But teenage spots plus wrinkles?
Either/or surely?

Brunette10 Thu 29-Aug-19 08:22:56

Oh dear sorry to moan but here goes. We have today had to put one of our cars in the street due to building work being done at the back of our house and to let delivery lorry unload all material supplies. We NEVER do thisas we always use our driveway. However one of our neighbours over the road whom we have no association with has just come along and parked her car outside her house and not left any room whatsoever for cars to get up the road. This really infuriates me as it is a 'one time' only. The bin lorry is also due today so needless to say we are going to have to move our car etc to goodness knows where. Just so unthoughful. Moan over. angry

BradfordLass72 Thu 29-Aug-19 06:38:13

boheminan Oh dear, sorry to hear the bad news.
Will you get a replacement chook?

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Aug-19 06:17:14

Gordon Bennett, BradfordLass! I’ve just woken up way too early and thought I’d read a bit of GN to soothe me back to sleep..... shock