Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(40 Posts)
12Michael Thu 01-Aug-19 06:11:43

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dry but a grey start here in Brackley this morning, put my watch on to find it had stopped an excuse to get a new battery whilst out today in Bicester and Buckingham.
Mick

Jamesnan14 Thu 01-Aug-19 15:39:27

Afternoon all, overcast but warm here in Essex, just spent the morning wandering around Maldon. Lovely seeing the Thames barges sailing out today . Had a nice lunch,so no cooking tonight!! Hope you all have great day.

EllanVannin Thu 01-Aug-19 10:46:43

Good Morning All x
Weather more like April and feels like it too. It's very unsettled.
I decided to shower first then have breakfast because I wanted to strip the bed and organise washing to be done. Might take a chance for it to go on the line.

I can't help feeling sorry for the poor souls in Yorkshire who've been flooded out with this cruel weather. It can't be doing foundations any good at all.

Hoping everyone's day goes to plan.

Urmstongran Thu 01-Aug-19 09:30:34

Hope your doctor’s news isn’t too worrying Harrigran
And ? for you Marydoll
x

Marydoll Thu 01-Aug-19 09:27:39

Thinking of you, harrigran. flowers

Persistentdonor Thu 01-Aug-19 09:18:07

Harrigran fingers crossed for you. flowers

harrigran Thu 01-Aug-19 08:59:03

Good morning from a drizzly NE.
Hairdresser didn't turn up yesterday, when I rang her she told me my appointment is today, oh dear.
Had another raft of blood tests at GP yesterday and at 8.30 my phone rang telling me I must return this morning as she has the results. It must be urgent as I have a consultant appointment tomorrow.
Hoping I will be back in time for hairdresser today.

BlueSapphire Thu 01-Aug-19 08:58:30

Thank you for those tips, Persistentdonor, I shall need all the help I can get! Haven't read the book yet, in fact can't remember what it is. Will have to look up the reading list for 'next term'. It's my own fault for recommending Margaret Atwood! Hoping to go to the live screening of her interview in September where she introduces her sequel to 'The Handmaid's Tale'.

Auntieflo Thu 01-Aug-19 08:55:50

Morning Michael, Annie to come and all others.
Still in bed with my cuppa, (and GN) .
Think we will pop out for a coffee, somewhere nice and a mooch, as DH’s radiotherapy is not until late afternoon today.
My tomato plants are ripening nicely, I ate one yesterday, lovely.
Then I’ll have a look and see if my Premium Bonds have won anything ?
Have a good day one and all.

Bellasnana Thu 01-Aug-19 08:55:44

Marydoll I’m so sorry you have had so many sad losses recently. It is very hard not to feel down about it.flowers

As for Montalbano, I will shout your greetings as we fly over as his stomping ground is south of where we are going.

Nannytopsy, I’m only taking hand luggage but you are welcome to carry it if you wish grin

Sicily is so close to Malta (20 min flight, or 90 mins catamaran) that I have got to know it very well over the years. When we were young and didn’t have a lot of spare cash, DH and I would go over for a break from the relentless slog of running our restaurant. We used to take the car so we toured round most of the island.

It is quite hard going without him, so many happy memories, but DD3 is a very sweet, loving daughter to me and we enjoy our little breaks together, even now she is married, since her husband doesn’t care for travelling.

Sorry to have rambled on. Have a good day all.?

Anniebach Thu 01-Aug-19 08:54:18

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Hope everyone has a good day x

vena11 Thu 01-Aug-19 08:50:55

Good morning ,lovely morning here in Bristol, going to get fitted for hearing aids today, I don't think I need them but the family say I do, not really looking forward to it.

Nannytopsy Thu 01-Aug-19 08:49:09

Pantglas a friend gave me some of her sourdough culture which is live, wild yeasts. It lives in the fridge and I take it out and feed it regularly ( or when I remember! ?). Then, when I want to make bread, I have to get it warm to wake it up. Not sure I have completely mastered this yet!

Pittcity Thu 01-Aug-19 08:23:55

Good morning from a bright but clouding over Colchester. Please send some of the excess rain our way as I had the hose out again yesterday.
The few spots of rain we've had recently have been quickly dried by the strong winds.
DGS has been with us this week and I am exhausted and broke!

Urmstongran Thu 01-Aug-19 08:20:50

Good morning everyone from gloriously sunny Malaga. There is a refreshing breeze which makes this weather perfect.

Our youngest daughter, son in law & the two grandchildren arrive tonight. I can’t wait but it’ll be full on as they’re here for 3 weeks. Our tiny apartment won’t accommodate us all so they are renting a slightly larger one in the same block.

I’m using today to relax and listen to my audiobook as I shan’t get much opportunity I’ll be ‘grandma please come in the pool!’.

Hope Thursday is kind to us all whether we have plans or none. x

oldgaijin Thu 01-Aug-19 08:18:40

Good morning from a slightly overcast Aberdeenshire, but the sun should break through later.
Am thrilled with the two lamp bases I made at my ceramics evening. I did them with exploding paint...you never know how they will turn out until they are fired, but are just the job for my bedside. Now I have to make a pair of lampshades.
Still haven't had results of scan but guess things are OK as chemo continues.
Have a great day everyone.

Persistentdonor Thu 01-Aug-19 08:18:01

Morning All, it's a beautiful morning here in Torbay.

BlueSaphire if you really wanted some help with book club, I googled "book club + questions for discussion".... lots came up......e.g. Book Club Questions:
How did the book make you feel? ...
How do you feel about how the story was told? ...
What did you think about the main characters? ...
Which parts of the book stood out to you? ...
What themes did you detect in the story? ...
What did you think about the ending? ...
What is your impression of the author?

Alygran Thu 01-Aug-19 08:15:15

Good morning from the High Peak where it has stopped raining (for now!). I am here on Grandma duty but DGS is still asleep. Off on a tour of the football stadium today.
Home to North Yorkshire tomorrow. The river near me was expected to burst its banks last night. It’s the same river that brought down the bridge and caused devastation in the Dale on Tuesday.
Ooh.. the sun has just popped out!
Have a good day everyone.

Pantglas1 Thu 01-Aug-19 08:10:45

Ooh Nannytopsy - how do you make sourdough bread? I love the stuff and buy it from local bakers or Waitrose when I’m in Wales. I also buy masa madre here in Spain which I think is the equivalent.

cornergran Thu 01-Aug-19 07:58:47

Morning Mick, morning All from a bright, sunny corner of Somerset. Unexpected visit to family this morning, looking forward to it then a trip to shops on the way home. Hope Thursday is kind to everyone.

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 01-Aug-19 07:50:44

Good morning from East London, cloudy and bright today. Off to help at the ‘new’ foodbank shortly; I’m told it works differently to the old one, just hope it’s as friendly. Mega clearing up in the house today, our bedroom is being decorated while we’re away next week and DP has warned we may have to empty both wardrobes etc. Hope you have a good day.

gillybob Thu 01-Aug-19 07:49:06

Good morning from the NE coast where we have yet another miserable start to the day. 1st August and we have yet to see a summer. Heavy rain expected later again today, just for a change.

I’m off to “that place” in less than an hour but just enjoying a cuppa before hand . (thank you Lins1066) talk about wishing your life away .........

and then I have the dreaded hair appointment straight after. I have found an ancient little back street place run by 2 ladies (both called Susan) who are brilliantly normal and very funny. It’s much better than the place I used to go to, where they all fancied themselves as super models and made me feel even more uncomfortable than I already do. It’s the bloomin’ mirror thing that I can’t stand , sitting there staring at my own ugly mug. Then you have the “where are you going on your holidays? I’m going to the Caribbean again ....blah blah....” I’m such a misery guts.

I think you should go for the caravan Grammaretto (will send you a PM reply in a little while after I have spoken to DH as he was up and out at the crack of sparrows) .
They’re huge fun smile

Have a good Thursday everyone. x

Nannytopsy Thu 01-Aug-19 07:47:38

Morning all! Bellasnana can I carry your bags please? We want to visit Sicily too! Just kneaded a batch of wholemeal sourdough bread, so I am back in bed for a rest! Off to Shropshire later hospital visiting, so an opportunity to listen to the test match on the journeys.
Hope everyone has a good day.

NannyJan53 Thu 01-Aug-19 07:47:16

Good Morning from a cloudy and slightly chilly Black Country.

Had a lovely walk and breakfast yesterday along the canal with friends. The rain held off!

Today I am going to visit Mum in Wolverhampton, but stop off on the way to visit a friend we made on holiday in Lindos in June. They live 4 miles away on the way to Mums.

Thinking of everyone who has been affected by the heavy rain and flooding.

flowers Marydoll

Grammaretto Thu 01-Aug-19 07:27:15

Marydoll flowers

Grammaretto Thu 01-Aug-19 07:23:57

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Dry so far and warm. I must stay home until after a charity comes to look at some furniture I wish to donate. They won't take just anything you know !?

I have had a fitful night thinking should I buy a caravan or not.

I hope you'll be swotting today and not swatting flies Bluesapphire

You've reminded me that the council classes programme will be out soon. What can I study this winter?

Enjoy your Thursday everyone.