Gransnet forums

Chat

Teapots

(65 Posts)
paddyann Thu 01-Aug-19 10:48:27

We still use a teapot that was a wedding gift 44 years ago .as my mother did before me I never actually wash it out just rinse it under the hot tap.We dont have hard water so theres no build up of any sort apart from the brown staining on the inside from years of 6 or 8 or more pots of tea a day .

I think washing it in soap might affect the taste so I was surprised when friends told me hers in put in the dishwasher daily.I never drink tea in her house so I have no idea if I'm right about taste .

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Jul-20 19:17:20

Two tea pots always washed in the dishwasher.

The not washing them is rubbish imo.

callgirl1 Sat 25-Jul-20 17:37:49

I`ve always washed my teapots every other day, one of my daughters tells me off, says they should never be washed. When I worked in a factory canteen, the teapots were large metal ones, the supervisor made us fill them with water from the boiler and lots of Domestos, every Friday, then leave them overnight. Nobody complained about the tea.

ginny Sat 25-Jul-20 07:57:07

Two teapots in our house.
One is a green four cup and the other a small one that I use when I just need tea for me.
We rinse with hot water after each use and about once a week they go in the dishwasher.
Can’t stand tea made in the mug/ cup.

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Jul-20 02:27:52

I think the reason some people don’t wash the pots is going back to the Yixing teapots which were porous. These are the ones with the big handles and small bodies. There would be a teapot for each type of tea - they were only rinsed out so that the unique flavours developed.

If, like me you like different teas, Assam, Yunan, Green, for example, you might not want the flavours to be tainted.

jdga Sat 25-Jul-20 01:53:26

I have 2 tea-pots that are “out & about” - 1 is the classic “brown Betty” & the other (bought too many yrs ago to count!) is
the kind that has legs & is wearing a smart pair of shoes, lol.
Does anybody remember those?

Peardrop50 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:11:18

Coffee drinkers here, just passing through.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 15:07:25

Sorry, autocorrect again!!

Pourer

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 15:06:44

vould1990

I have glass teapots with infuser, wash with hot water. for the spout of teapots, I recommended using a teapot cleaning brush.

I've got one of those but dont use it because it's not a good poorer, dribbles tea all over the work surface.

geekesse I really like your tea pot.

maydonoz Fri 24-Jul-20 15:01:25

We are also great tea drinkers in our house and always from a teapot., which these days is a ceramic one which is a bit heavy especially when pouring the first cup of the day in bed. I think a tea bag in a cup is so wasteful, you can get so many from one teabag in a teapot. My favourite is Yorkshire followed by PGTips and always decaf in the evening.
As to cleaning the teapot I usually wash it the morning and rinse well. Must try the bicarbonate to get rid of the tannin.

Mapleleaf Fri 24-Jul-20 12:45:02

Teapot user here. We have a stainless steel one and a pot one for everyday use, plus one that is part of a tea service that only comes out for special occasions. The everyday ones go in the dishwasher - I hate to see built up tannin stains on them and on cups. The "posh" one is washed by hand as it's not suitable for the dishwasher.
Never noticed any tainting from washing them.

MayBee70 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:49:10

I suppose teapots were made for the use of loose tea. Teabags seem to create scum (what a horrible word: never thought about it before) in cups. And there’s always a film on the top when it cools down.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:43:50

I’ve got 12 vintage teapots

Don’t ask, it’s something that we don’t talk about.

eazybee Fri 24-Jul-20 11:40:51

I was told years ago, by a man, that you should never wash a teapot out with soapy water, but wash it separately with hot water. He made jolly sure his wife obeyed his instructions, even when they were camping!

HAZBEEN Fri 24-Jul-20 11:39:15

When my teapot or cups get a bit stained I use a denture cleaning tablet in them. One tablet for the pot and a half one for cups, fill with hot water, leave for 30 minutes or so then any stains left just wipe off. Quick rinse with hot water and the job is done. By the way I use denture tablets to soak away all sorts of stains and also to clean some china ornaments that have fiddly bits. Dont have a dishwasher.

MayBee70 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:38:06

I’ve been using a teapot since lockdown having realised you can get lots of cups of tea out of one teabag. But my teapot gets really scummy and it drips horribly. I’ve been using a stainless steel one but it isn’t mine and I have to give it back. I much prefer it.

shysal Fri 24-Jul-20 11:28:38

Yes I am, lemongrove. I don't drink alcohol either!

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 10:31:16

That is a lovely teapot geekesse envy

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 10:30:31

shysal

I don't possess a teapot. I don't like tea or coffee, prefer tap water.

?you’re a cheap date Shysal

geekesse Fri 24-Jul-20 10:27:35

I use my beautiful Poole Celeste teapot, and wash it in the dishwasher. I’m picky about tea (Lady Grey or Earl Grey in the mornings, Lapsang Souchong or Rose Pouchong at teatime, and then red bush before bed), and the dishwasher doesn’t cause any tainting of the taste.

GrannySomerset Fri 24-Jul-20 09:56:32

Our Old Hall teapot was a wedding present 58 years ago and has been in daily use. We have hard water so it goes in the dish washer when it looks grubby inside and comes out immaculate. It would be the thing I would rescue in a fire, I think!

shysal Fri 24-Jul-20 09:47:45

I don't possess a teapot. I don't like tea or coffee, prefer tap water.

MiniMoon Fri 24-Jul-20 09:45:35

I have a china teapot. It only comes out on high days and holidays.
I wash it with the teacups, with fairy liquid. I always rinse it with hot water, dry it out and put it away until the next time I have visitors.

Greyduster Fri 24-Jul-20 09:36:25

We’re not big tea drinkers here but I have one teapot, a lovely Spode Copeland Italian one, which I press into service when my DiL visits as she drinks a lot of tea! It never goes in the dishwasher; I just rinse it out with a solution of bicarb, dry it and put it away until she comes again. Why bicarb? I have no idea; just something my mother used to do! I have the cups and saucers to go with it but they never see the light of day.

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 09:22:05

I don’t think it will affect the taste of the tea made, just keep rinsing it under the tap, or put it in the dishwasher now and then if you want to.
There were no dishwashers years ago and people survived their unwashed teapots.

Grandmabatty Fri 24-Jul-20 08:26:51

I have a lovely teapot for one that I use. I knit tea cosies and egg cosies too. I've found that the tannin marks come off if I rub salt on a damp cup or inside the teapot. You do have to rinse well!