Gransnet forums

Chat

Ancient telly programmes

(146 Posts)
Merseybelle2 Thu 01-Aug-19 19:50:22

Anyone out there remember The Army Game ? My grandmother loved it that much she made us promise to put her cremation urn on the mantelpiece pointing to the telly so she could still watch it ! This was in advance of her death btw, just realised it sounds as if she commanded it via ouija board smile

LullyDully Fri 02-Aug-19 07:51:09

I loved Michael Bentine doing The Bumberlies.

Also Granny Grove and the father. We used to watch it.

Then there was Benji the Boxer Puppy drawn by someone with a European accent who told the story. A bit like C Beebies ....maybe not ....but I loved it.

Also Mr Pastry with a wonderful moustache, the Justin, Mr Tumble, of my day.

DanniRae Fri 02-Aug-19 07:54:51

Framilode - David Hunter was a character in Crossroads. Ian Harmon was in Compact - both played by Ronald Allen.
I remember a friend and I going to Reigate to see Ronald Allen opening a shop there - he really was good looking and worth the journey from where we lived in Merstham! grin

Yorksherlass Fri 02-Aug-19 07:56:52

If anyone is interested , there is a channel on Freeview ch 81 called Talking Pictures, lots of “ old “ tv series and films too , I love to watch black and white films especially on rainy Sunday afternoons .

Sara65 Fri 02-Aug-19 08:00:32

The woodentops, Andy Pandy, Rag Tag and Bobtail, The Flowerpot Men, Picture Book , all viewed at my granny’s at lunch time

annodomini Fri 02-Aug-19 08:39:23

In the 50s, Saturday evening started with the Six Five Special. I even remember the signature song but to spare your ears, I won't sing it for you. I'm fairly sure we saw an young Cliff Richard on that show and I was very taken with Frankie Vaughan, who sang 'Green Door' long before Shaky Stevens revived it. Alma Cogan was there too.
My parents wouldn't let me watch Quatermass and I've never seen it yet!

Sara65 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:02:37

I don’t remember six five special, but I remember Jukebox jury, is it a hit or a miss?

Merseybelle2 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:19:44

We loved Quatermass ! I remember how scary that was! We got really fed up with Millicent Martin and Dickie Valentine, they seemed to be on everything. My mother extremely unsuccessfully kept trying to turn my sister and I into Shirley temple/ Hayley Mills clones. She rinsed our hair in peroxide and put pipe cleaners all over our heads. Then we could watch Sunday Night at the London Palladium on the telly. Nowadays she would have been locked up for child abuse. My sister and I have always been convinced she ruined our hair doing that as we’ve both had dreadfully thin hair all our lives !

Sara65 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:24:00

My dad was a fan of the Billy Cotton Bandshow, and my mother liked the Val Doonigan Show, I didn’t like either!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:24:43

We were allowed to stay up later on Saturday nights to watch The Avengers. I wanted to be Emma Peel and drive a Lotus Elan.

tanith Fri 02-Aug-19 09:29:13

Oh Quatermass scared me to death you can still see bits on utube.

Sara65 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:32:13

Tanith

Never saw it

dragonfly46 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:34:21

Emergency Ward 10
Dixon of Dock Green
Juke Box Jury

HazelGreen Fri 02-Aug-19 09:49:18

Dr Kildare

Laurensnan Fri 02-Aug-19 09:53:10

Pantglas1 you were ahead of your time work a vision into the future, as you can do that now with the pause button. Can you tell me some lottery ticket numbers ? ?.
I love Bewitched. I bought the box set a few years ago and watch it with my 8 yr old GD. She loves it.

SueLindsey Fri 02-Aug-19 09:58:15

Does anyone remember a soap called The Newcomers (about the residents of a new town)? Wendy Richards played a stroppy teenager who worked in the supermarket!

HannahLoisLuke Fri 02-Aug-19 09:58:49

Not exactly ancient but I was addicted to Bodies by Jed Mercurio. A medical whistleblower which had me hooked.
I always wondered why there wasn't another series until I heard Jed M on Chris Evans this morning saying that ITV just suddenly pulled the plug. Why? It was brilliant.

Twopence Fri 02-Aug-19 10:02:47

Loved Dixon of Dock Green and though it's not PC these days The Black and White Minstrel Show.

jaylucy Fri 02-Aug-19 10:09:36

Sorry guys, you've got confused with Compact - the actor was Ronald Allen and he played Ian Harmon in Compact.
David Hunter was played by the same actor in Crossroads !

Theoddbird Fri 02-Aug-19 10:13:26

Not as far back as many mentioned that I too remember. My favourite oldie is definitely The Good Life. smile

123gran Fri 02-Aug-19 10:14:32

I remember a black and white puppet ‘Muffin the Mule’ from the early 1950s and its female puppeteer. I loved it - used to watch with my mum. Anyone else? Later I had a (metal) Muffin puppet for Christmas and its strings were forever getting tangled up.

JessK Fri 02-Aug-19 10:15:38

I used to love The Larkins with the great Peggy Mount.

Grandmabeach Fri 02-Aug-19 10:16:11

I remember hiding behind the sofa when Quatermass was on TV.

KatyK Fri 02-Aug-19 10:16:12

I remember many of these but not all. I used to regularly see Ronald Allen and lots of the Crossroads cast around Birmingham City Centre. I loved Bootsie and Snudge. My personal favourite was Man About The House. I loved the fashions in it. I met Richard O'Sullivan at the height of his fame and he was delightful.

12Michael Fri 02-Aug-19 10:17:39

You can watch some oldie films on Talking Pictures channel 81 on Freeview, plus Forces TV also as some early comedy sit coms.
Mick

missdeke Fri 02-Aug-19 10:39:07

Wagon Train
The Six Five Special
Oh Boy