Gransnet forums

Chat

I am undertall -please help

(55 Posts)
Kiwigramz Thu 01-Aug-19 22:04:01

I am short and since aged 70 have put on so much weight through medication, particularly steroids)and yes I admit the odd bar of chocolate ?) being truthful, but it is embarrassing for me. Nothing fits, and everything feels tight. I have tried most diets, exercise but Limited due to lupus and arthritis. I try to eat no more than 1000 calories a day and for 8 weeks had no bread or potatoes. I am unable to walk far in one go, I do do a little gardening . I eat salads and love my fresh veg and beef and chicken. I never have sugar added to my food.

Please be kind to me as I know it has to be partly my own fault but there has to be an answer, even if I don’t like it ?. Thank you

Jane10 Fri 02-Aug-19 22:14:59

Doesn't sound like a very relaxing life Gabriella! Blimey. Even standing up to eat breakfast. On balance, I think I'd rather be chubby!

leyla Sat 03-Aug-19 10:42:18

I would recommend non-weight bearing exercise. Swimming has worked well for me. I go first thing to get it out of the way.

GabriellaG54 Sat 03-Aug-19 11:16:05

Jane10
I don't eat standing up all the time. I was pointing out that sitting down might encourage just one more coffee and piece of toast which is fine....but not if you want to lose weight.

Callistemon Sat 03-Aug-19 11:27:53

I tell DH off if he starts eating a piece of toast, sandwich etc standing up.
"Go and sit at the table like a civilised human being!"

GabriellaG54 Sat 03-Aug-19 12:59:23

?
I see your point but medically, it's better for your health to eat standing up, just as it's better to work on laptops/pcs standing up. Your digestive system works better too.
It's no big thing...I can do what I like because I'm divorced and don't live with my OH. Anyway, he has no say in how I eat, sitting or standing. ??

Hetty58 Sat 03-Aug-19 17:26:34

I'm not so sure about the eating while standing idea as it always gives me hicupps:
www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-while-standing-up

Hetty58 Sat 03-Aug-19 17:27:22

hiccups

Callistemon Sat 03-Aug-19 17:28:17

It's like getting caught in the street eating whilst wearing your school uniform
shock

Hetty58 Sat 03-Aug-19 18:23:17

Oh yes - caught chewing gum, once, a couple of miles from school and sent to the headmaster - how times have changed!

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 15:13:53

I got into trouble for eating an apple.

I ask you - bringing the school into disrepute by eating an apple in the street whilst wearing school uniform!

Hetty58 Mon 05-Aug-19 21:06:21

You devil, Callistemon! I hope you were suitably ashamed of yourself!

Callistemon Mon 05-Aug-19 23:09:27

I've never felt the same about apples since!
They induce a sense of guilt.

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 23:59:17

Diets are awful, and as Oscar Wilde said ‘ I can resist anything
Except temptation’.?

Pantglas1 Tue 06-Aug-19 06:29:23

Ha ha Lemongrove- ‘I couldn’t help it! She made me do it!’

Peonyrose Tue 06-Aug-19 07:20:46

Whatever you do, don't reduce your calories. You are on too few as it us. Go to the doctor and ask if you can see the nurse for a plan suitable for you. Faddy diets do not work, low calories and your body goes into starvation mode with all sorts of problems. Steroids cause weight gain, with your conditions your body needs correct nutrition. You cannot live all your life on 1000 calories. I know exercise is difficult for you, but if you could just get into the habit of perhaps walking every few hours for 10 minutes that would be a start. I think you have a lot to cope with and the added stress don't help you, so please be kind to yourself. Few of us are the ideal Wright and there are lumps and bumps as never before.?Just make sure that everything that you eat is nutritious and contains no sugar, you will see a difference.

Hetty58 Tue 06-Aug-19 12:14:54

I agree with Peonyrose. A drastic diet and exercise regime is unsuitable for anyone in poor health and on steroids. Your first stop should be the GP.

janeainsworth Tue 06-Aug-19 12:24:43

Are you a retired medical practitioner as well as a retired lawyer, Gabriella?
Have 2 full days (48 hours) with nothing to eat and only drink water (no fruit juice) bouillion or clear liquids like an Oxo cube dissolved in boiled water
IMHO that is irresponsible and potentially dangerous advice to give to anyone, let alone a person in their seventies about whose medical history you know nothing angry

Alexa Tue 06-Aug-19 14:22:39

Gabriella did not advise as if she was a doctor, and it's reasonable to presume that contributorsor readers are all able to decide for themselves which advice suits them.

Gabriella's advice was neither eccentric nor illegal.

janeainsworth Tue 06-Aug-19 18:23:47

I didn’t say it was eccentric or illegal alexa ?

MawB Tue 06-Aug-19 18:27:01

Alexa the advice from GabriellaG was enirely her own opinion and while frankly nutritionally bonkers I suppose she is entitled to follow it herself.
However, even a qualified nutritionist would take into account OP’s age, current medication and medical background.
To drastically reduce calorie intake has the opposite effect to that intended, if doesn't kickstart the metabolism but induces “famine mode” in the body which adjusts and will start to hang onto every calorie consumed. As soon as normal eating resumes, people mostly put on all the weight they have lost and frequently some more.
Eating standing up is also ridiculous and far from promoting effective digestion is more likely to lead to gastric problems and the possibility of an ulcer in the future.
I do hope OP has the sense to ignore gimmicky and amateur nutritional advice - however well intentioned.

Callistemon Tue 06-Aug-19 19:51:32

We went to a lovely old house on Sunday, part of which had been a monastery. The monks had to eat standing up, partly because it took less time and partly because sitting down to eat would be an indulgence.
I wonder if they got ulcers? If so, I don't suppose they could grumble about it.

watermeadow Tue 06-Aug-19 21:13:11

Gabriella that diet would be sure to work but most people’s problem is sticking to any slimming diet.
I can’t eat one square of chocolate or a small piece of cheese, I would scoff it all.
Do you live off this very restrictive diet permanently? I’m tempted to try it but not tomorrow because I’m going out for lunch. Or the next day because I have to make cakes. Or the next etc etc

GabriellaG54 Tue 06-Aug-19 22:00:24

My opinions stem from reading suitably appropriate material and watching ditto programnes.
Drs Michael Mosley and twins Alexander and Christoffer van Tulleken have all been involved at various times in making programmes about health, food, weight, medication, exercise and many other medical programmes under the health banner.
They have all espoused that more calories are used when doing anything in the upright position than any other.

Naturally, sense tells us that eating whilst sitting is often the accepted and perhaps the most comfortable way of enjoying food but it does not use up the most calories.

Many people spend too much time sitting, more so nowadays in this tech era.
Of course I'm not giving advice as a medic and that goes for the many who give their opinions on everything from depression, pills they take, remedies they recommend as working for them etc etc but every sensible GNer would know that only their GP would know their history and be able to refer them to the right clinicians, if need be.

I also feel you missed the part where I recommend whatever you do is with the say so of your doctor.
Next time, if there is one, please read all that I have written before making ill informed judgements.

I was giving my opinion, one of many to do so and I did say that the liquid days could be together or separate.
Having clear broth is nutritious but I did remark that if you were to feel light headed for any reason then eat something substantial .

MawB Tue 06-Aug-19 22:11:04

www.healthline.com/nutrition/eating-while-standing-up
So while it may burn a few more calories, it seems there is more temptation to overeat or gobble one’s food.
Not the “mindful” eating generally recommended these days.
But only my opinion of course.

MawB Tue 06-Aug-19 22:14:06

I see no reference to a doctor in GG ‘s long and detailed post of 05:00 on Friday 2 August?