Gransnet forums

Chat

Won’t accept financial gift

(52 Posts)
Hideaway Fri 02-Aug-19 09:10:44

My husband and I have found ourself a in a really lucky position to be able to pay off our small outstanding mortgage and put a little more aside for the rest of our retirement.
I also plan to save a little for each of our grandchildren’s future, we have 3 children so also planned to give each family a equal sum of money, just to help with whatever they see fit.
However my youngest child who has 3 children is refusing to accept saying that we should keep it for something we want or split her potion between the grandchildren. This breaks my heart as they are such a hard working family who really struggle financially.
What should I do? Not offer to money to any of my kids to keep it fair?
This should be such a happy moment which we have worked hard for which is now turning into a really stressful situation.

absthame Fri 02-Aug-19 10:49:59

I have had a similar experience in reverse.

Four years ago my son gave me the Jaguar car he was replacing. That caused arguments between my wife and I because she thought that I should pay him for it. I thought that it would spoil his sense of joy at giving it. I still retained my “work car," keeping the Jag as a fun car and one for personal journeys. Four years on and I had an accident in the Jag and the insurance company wrote it off. When the insurance company paid us the value of the car, I paid that sum to my son; thereby satisfying my wives feelings and much to the satisfaction of myself and my son.
I think we should accept that we only have the right to give if we are willing to receive.

EthelJ Fri 02-Aug-19 11:07:47

I think your youngest is just thinking about you, they sound lovely. I would put the money in a high interest account and make sure it is earmarked for them later

ReadyMeals Fri 02-Aug-19 11:09:53

Put her share aside. She may change her mind later. Don't make the other two do without just based on the decision of the one DC

Redrobin51 Fri 02-Aug-19 11:13:01

My friend had the same with her three, the eldest gracefully declined and told them to spend it on themselves. They accepted gracefully her suggestion and yes treasure that one.x

Pippa22 Fri 02-Aug-19 11:13:24

Kircubbin 2000 that’s just not true regarding Premium bonds. Of course with £100 of bonds you are not as likely to win as if you had far more. I have much less than the maximum you quote and most months have a win, last month I had three. My interest works out much better than If I invested in any other way. Also there is always the chance of the big win.

ayokunmi1 Fri 02-Aug-19 11:13:56

You arr blessed truly blessed.Put aside the right time will come when it will be appreciated.

Her kindness her thoughts for you.A true blessing.

Hideaway Fri 02-Aug-19 11:42:24

Thank you everyone. PB seems a good option if it can be in her name.
I don’t think I will tell her about it though and she is so determined, then she has the option to change her mind or give to her children in future.

Sb74 Fri 02-Aug-19 11:52:16

Your daughter is being a good mum just like you are. They probably can’t afford to put money aside for their children so this is a way to be able to do that. Just give it to your daughters children. That’s her wish.

Nanafran Fri 02-Aug-19 12:09:15

I agree. I wish my 3 could be like that.

Kim19 Fri 02-Aug-19 12:27:59

K2000 I have not found what you said to be the case at all.

Nanny41 Fri 02-Aug-19 12:35:32

How lovely you are able to do this,just save it for the GC I dont know if you can open an account for them without the parents approval but as someone else said put it away with their names in in your mind,then you will be happy knowing the GC will have a nice future.
Good luck, you are a lovely Grandmother

Diggingdoris Fri 02-Aug-19 12:37:36

When my mother died I decided to give some of my inheritance to my 4 adult children stating that it was from their grandmother as I knew they would have told me to keep it.

LizaJane24 Fri 02-Aug-19 12:54:07

I think you should be proud of your daughter for wanting to be financially independent. Who knows what your future holds? You may need carers and need all the money that seems spare at the moment.

Riggie Fri 02-Aug-19 13:15:39

Two things.

First is to say is your daughter on any benefits where a sum of money could affect what she gets? I dont mean you to answer but maybe think about it. In that case it's a mixed blessing because if it's in the bank she would have to declare it and that could mean her benefits stop or are reduced. And even spending it is fraught because it could be considered that she is depriving herself of assets in order to get benefit - which is not allowed. I think the same would apply if she had it as premium bonds.

Secondly when grandma bough premium bo ds for my son, the premium bond people notified us so I'm not sure that you could keep buying some and not saying secret.

Ohmother Fri 02-Aug-19 14:16:19

My mum offered me £100 once as I mentioned about petrol prices when I went to visit 100s of miles away. I cried through embarrassment and accepted £50. My brothers and sisters tended to ask her for ‘loans’ quite often but I never did. I wanted her to treat herself as she’d had such a hard life. As a young girl and later a wife that became a carer in her 30s.

When mum died her money was shared equally between the 6 of us. There was quite a bit. I soooo wish she’d had treated herself to luxuries and enjoyment and basic good living standards. I would have enjoyed seeing her happy more than I enjoyed spending or investing the money. ?

Aepgirl Fri 02-Aug-19 17:07:39

Spot on, Gonegirl.

EmilyHarburn Fri 02-Aug-19 17:24:25

Do what your younger child says and split her portion between her 3 children. Why is that a problem?

Seakay Fri 02-Aug-19 18:05:11

a gift that you have to force on someone isn't a gift it's a burden; if your child doesn't want it for whatever reason then you have to accept that.
If you want to put it aside in case of emergencies in the future, or add it to their share in your will, then don't tell them that is what you have done - it won't make them happy, it might distress them and it could cause a rift.
Your child wants you to enjoy the money you have earned - they'll probably feel better about anything you leave them in a will if they can see that you have done this during your lives
Give the others their gifts as you have decided to do - it can hardly cause an issue when you are doing what you want and honouring the wishes of potential recipients

Hideaway Fri 02-Aug-19 18:23:09

Lots to think about here, every reply I read my opinion on what’s best changes. I defiantly do not want to case rifts by forcing this upon her.
Like I said in my original post I plan on doing something for each of my Grandchildren anyway, so I don’t want to do that with her share. If she takes the money and chooses to do that the that’s her choice.
I think I will just have to keep hold of it and hope she will come to me if she needs it.

SpringyChicken Fri 02-Aug-19 18:32:24

A family's circumstances can change in an instant. While your daughter feels she doesn't want the money now, she doesn't know what the future holds. Ill health, serious accident, divorce, redundancy - it happens all the time and takes us by surprise. Leave the money to her in your will if she won't take it now and she can give it away or keep it as she thinks fit at that time. A good idea to say nothing about what you are doing, as per your previous comment.

Saggi Fri 02-Aug-19 19:31:26

Me too Hideaway...I recently gave my daughter £1000 to help her over a difficult time...I felt a little bad thinking that I should do the same for my son ....who is low paid and works hard and doesn’t ever complain. So I explained to him what I’d done for his. sister recently, and said I’d like to do the same for him. But he refused...saying he’d only waste it on beer and ciggies..( he has no family) I was quite shocked as I know he needs a new laptop as his is ancient... but respective his wishes. But I told him the mo eh was there whenever he found f a use for it. We left it like that . I respected his viewpoint...but wish he had accepted the offer. Children!! You can never tell the ones that will totally surprise you.

quizqueen Fri 02-Aug-19 21:39:18

Give what you want to those who will accept and 'ring fence ' a similar amount in your will for the refuser before the rest is divided out equally. Tell them all what you have done so they will all get equal shares in the end ( sort of- as you can't really inflation proof it). If one set of grandchildren directly get more now, that could be asking for trouble later down the line.
However, don't underestimate how much you may need yourselves in the future.

RomyP Fri 02-Aug-19 23:52:19

I'm with Gonegirl, what a wonderful daughter you have. X

AnneLe Sat 03-Aug-19 18:54:33

Go ahead and divide the money as you had planned but don’t hand her share over to the daughter who has refused it - just put hers in an account for her to have when she is willing to receive it

Summerlove Sun 04-Aug-19 05:00:54

Your daughter obviously loves you and wants you to have fun with your money

If you can’t do that, put it aside and don’t bring it up again, it would likely makes her feel awkward. I wouldn’t set it up for her kids, as thats just going against her wishes