Gransnet forums

Chat

Empty space

(29 Posts)
Auntieflo Thu 08-Aug-19 08:22:43

Following on from Brunette10s post, on the moaning thread, about all the empty space in the V&A museum; have you noticed how in the most expensive shops, and art galleries, the displayed item that costs the most, has the most space around it?

In our little town, we have a new, expensive, handbag shop. The whole area has only very few bags actually out , but there is an awful lot of dead space.

grannybuy Thu 08-Aug-19 23:24:52

There is a shop in a city in NE Scotland that is the most cluttered shop that you could ever find. It is very Dickensian. It sells walking/hiking gear, and must have stock going back years and years. When you look in through the door, it is so piled up with stuff that you can't see any light, and it appears closed. I did go in looking for a rucksack of a particular size. Amazingly, after the assistant went off searching, he returned, saying that they didn't have one! It is so full of stuff that it is actually funny, but the fact that there is so little space that it's impossible to wander round. More than two customers at a time would be a crowd. Maybe this shop is familiar to others.

GabriellaG54 Fri 09-Aug-19 00:31:16

There is space and s p a c e
Halifax Guildford could host the next Winter games and you'd still need binoculars to see the action.

Grandma2213 Fri 09-Aug-19 01:14:52

When my mother became ill many years ago she went into a newly built hospital. The entrance was a huge hall with a very high ceiling and nothing much else except a strange, massive, architecturally designed clock that nobody could read. The wards were so small and badly designed that they had to take the doors off permanently to enable beds to be wheeled in. There was no room for bedside storage cabinets so they had baskets to fit on the ends of the beds.

Unfortunately the nurses could not properly access the beds with these attached so they had to be moved elsewhere for storage. Only one visitor could sit as there was no room for more chairs.

I think they have demolished it now and built a new hospital. What a waste of our money!!